Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:01:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

CaB Will Do Their Level Best To Comply With Your Wishes

Started by TJ, October 02, 2004, 06:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ

No more news about "Box Of Slice" at the moment - unless your definition of 'news' somehow extends to rumblings from insiders that it looks set to be quite good but unfortunately the cast and crew have been made to conduct conversations about it in Swahili to prevent any pre-transmission 'leaks' - so instead here's a slew of new downloads.

First off, the Collaborators page is now hosting a full set of "In Excess", an Armando Iannucci Radio 4 series from 1993/94. For those who've never heard it, this is quite unlike most of his other early radio work, and takes the form of a series of tongue-in-cheek documentaries about aspects of everyday life. If you liked "The Armando Iannucci Shows", chances are that you'll like this too, and we're particularly please to have it as we've been on the lookout for a full set for quite a while. Also on the same page is 'Use Your Ears', his recent piece for Radio 3's "Twenty Minutes", which examines the ways in which we listen to music.

Over at Influences, you will now find "Saturday Night Fry", a superb Radio 4 series from 1988 featuring Stephen Fry, Hugh Laurie, Emma Thompson and a host of guests in a series of sketches that were clearly influential on the style of "On The Hour". Amd if that wasn't enough, all of Blue Jam is back too!

Many thanks to Pinball for capturing 'Use Your Ears', Mathew for doing likewise for "Saturday Night Fry", Frinky for hosting "In Excess" and Jon Lawrence and Mark Williams for hosting "Blue Jam". How incredibly mean to get other people to do our 'dirty work' for us, eh?

While we're here, a very quick plug for the Comedy Chat forum, where there've been some great discussions lately about all manner of shows from "In Bed With MeDinner" and "Absolutely" to "Green Wing" (does anybody actually like it?), and also a quick plea - we're very short of Peter Cook-related video material (even some quite obvious stuff), and would appreciate any kind donations. The same goes for a couple of the radio editions of "Room 101" (notably those featuring Maria McErlane and Simon Delaney). Any offers would be most welcome!

Neil

We've lost the name of the chap who encoded In Excess, so if he sees this can he please get in touch so we can credit him, ta.

Dr David V

Fantastic, I didn't know there was another Iannucci series around. Downloading this now, thanks Frinky et al.

skibz

Fantastic! I've been trying to get hold of Saturday Night Fry for ages, thanks very much to all concerned :)

Darrell

As no-one else seems to be arsed to I might as well express my thanks for these downloads. I'm looking forward to hearing In Excess in full, so cheers for that - nice quality too!

Cheers, guys.

Rats

Yes, thankyou very much, getting in excess now. I thought this thread would be brimming with replies by now. You get a bigger response grafting a cock on richard blackwoods head. Maybe you could try kicking off with that on the next update, get the punters in.

MojoJojo

Tones

I have never heard these, and haven't yet downloaded them but i'm sure they're ace,  so many thanks all round.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Oops, just noticed this update (despite always visiting the front page before going to forums). Thank you again guys, I shall download this stuff later.

phalmachine

Can anyone tell me which episode of Saturday Night Fry has the sketch where Fry and Co. argue if the BBC has, for want of a better phrase, 'fair and balanced' news coverage and programmes?  I'm only really after that sketch and I don't have a quick enough net connection to download them all.

Ta in advance

slim

Oops, just noticed this: thanks very much for the extra downloads. I plan to check out In Excess, as Armando seems to have the midas touch where my sense of humour is concerned.

A million thanks!

butnut

Just listened to the first of the Saturday Night Fry programmes - it's brilliant! Many thanks to everyone for putting this up. I can certainly see how it was an influence on On the Hour. Right, onwards to episode 2 now...

EDIT - Fry has just mentioned 'Book of slices' - surely Morris hasn't used this as a very obscure reference?

RHX

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all of this fantastic stuff :)

terminallyrelaxed

Thanks for all these heads-ups - I always forget to see what up and available. Downloading all the Pete and Dud videos now, and will be torrenting the Blue Jam shows when I get home tonight - never listened to it before so don't know what to expect!

Neil

The tracker that housed the Blue Jam torrents was taken down for some reason, so they won't work anymore.  You'll have to download them from the site (some of the links are bust at the mo.)

Anonymous

Quote from: "phalmachine"Can anyone tell me which episode of Saturday Night Fry has the sketch where Fry and Co. argue if the BBC has, for want of a better phrase, 'fair and balanced' news coverage and programmes?  I'm only really after that sketch and I don't have a quick enough net connection to download them all.

Ta in advance

There were a couple of sketches like that. Do you mean the one which features the very On The Hour-esque parody of a Radio 4 news show ("And now, over to Pippa Peppa for the extremely good news")? Not heard it for a while but I think it was Show 3 (with Julia Hills as guest).

Unless you mean that other sketch featuring a heated debate plus voiceover ("The temperature of the sketch now seems to be rising a little...") which covered similar areas. I don't recall off-hand which show that was from though. Show 2, at a guess.

Huge hoorays to everyone involved in sharing these by the way. It'll always remain in my top ten as far as radio comedy is concerned. Shame on you for not using the Radio Times pics though.

Great to to see In Excess too - including several I've never heard before. The final show in particular is very amusing - capturing the net in its infancy. For anyone who's heard it, this link should amuse.

alan strang (esq)

phalmachine

Unless you mean that other sketch featuring a heated debate plus voiceover ("The temperature of the sketch now seems to be rising a little...") which covered similar areas. I don't recall off-hand which show that was from though. Show 2, at a guess.

Thanks, that was the sketch I was after.

Beagle

Many thanks indeed for these great additions to an already spanking site gush gush. The "you feeble pube, into shipping forcast, into Barry Cyer" section off Saturday night Fry 1 is the most I've giggled for a good while. Can't wait to hear the rest of these, I'm not going to pretend I was even aware of this series until they were stuck up, but it's yet another fantastic thing I've been introduced to by the folks who contribute and maintain this bloody wonderful website.

Makes this godawful insomnia worth it.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "The Aonymous A.Strang"Great to to see In Excess too - including several I've never heard before. The final show in particular is very amusing - capturing the net in its infancy. For anyone who's heard it, this link should amuse.

Bugger, you pipped me to it! I've just polished off all of In Excess, and that last episode was simply delightful. I love the way that internet cafe bloke hasn't got a clue how to use a search engine! And to think I got all damp-eyed with nostalgia listening to Lee and Herring's ridiculously convoluted email address in 1995....

Without wanting to resort too much to hyperbole, I think they could grow to be one of my favourite Armando works, behind his R1 show and his C4 series.

Oh but I love everything he's done ever.... if I could suck off any celebrity, it would be Mr. Iannucci.

Phew, glad I didn't resort to hyperbole then.

The first episode is ace too, very "People Like Us" with the guy who hasn't got time to answer Armando's questions because he's obsessed with picking up the phone.

"THANKS, Esther".

Thanks Frinky for hosting and those who captured it, you made my weekend all warm and lovely.

joFFeman

i love the green wing, mark heap can do no wrong, but i'm an american, what do i know?

Ok, only here for the first time but i've scanned this discussion thing re: Nathn Barley and Chris Morris's diminishing humour and i 'm a bit shocked.

Firstly, surely the question posed was intended to provoke a reaction and it's worked but otherwise what a stupid thing to ask. I attempted to open my own topic (but i'm not a prefect/moderator) asking whether the people involved here take all this a bit too seriously and should maybe take something from NB.... hang on... NB canes people that take their 'idols' too seriously and people here dont like it... hmm adds up.

Too many collaberations ? bollocks. the collaberators in question bring their own pedigree and talents, CM was only good in front of camera in Alan Partridge as far as i'm concerned. Day Today and Brasseye whilst brilliant didn't exactly stretch the actors involved and Jam was all lights, mirrors and gore.

I clearly appreciate this site but it doesn't surprise me that some people that are here quite alot dont like NB. Having said all that NB himself was painfully David Brent at times but there's so much more to it. Anyone who despises the general publc as much as Chris Morris should like this...

jcstuntboy

Chris Morris has been given money from Channel 4....y the f***...there are so many struggling writers out there with far better ideas.  Nathan Bradley is nothing but a ...I wonder what kind of poor piss I can give to the British public next....he doesn't care...he's already been paid.....just check check the Channel 4 website for writing opportunities.....you won't find any cos the residents are already Chris Morris and that bloody idiot jimmy Carr...reduce their payroll and get some fresh acts for a change

Deadman97

Quote from: "jcstuntboy"Nathan Bradley is nothing but a...

Okay, I'll bite.... It's Barley.

burak arslan

slim

I hope that ^ isn't a sign of some impending attack or somesuch. Could be a preliminary worm testing the water perhaps?

Edit: Blimey, I hit 3000 posts at some point. Bingo!

NightWar

Mmmmm.....
Hi.
Recently joined the forum.
I'm a big Chris Morris fan, you see?... More importantly, I'm a big fan of comedy and satire and the like, you see?

In regard to smiling, happy people that love intelligent, insightful comedy... writing posts into the forum... I'm a little concerned, you see?

I shall say no more.... for now....

nolan

Hello there.

We are a comedy label about to release The Misty Mr Wisty on cd, but Decca can't find their original artwork ! Does any one have or know of someone who might have the original album ( on vinyl). We would like to borrow one to scan.

Best wishes
Bob Nolan

Sound Entertainment
t  020 -8874-8444

TJ

Hello Bob - I'll give your appeal a bit more prominence...

TraceyQ

I have this on vinyl somewhere and could help if need be. (As long as I get it back!)