Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:32:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your Top 10 Hated Films Of All Time

Started by Onken, July 18, 2015, 05:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onken

Popular films you can't stand and that would put you off someone if you see it in their DVD collection.

Garden State (2004) Zach Braff
Clerks II (2006) Kevin Smith
Sin City (2005) Robert Rodriguez
V for Vendetta (2005)  James McTeigue
Bugsy Malone (1976) Alan Parker
Django Unchained (2012) Quentin Tarantino
Battle Royale (2000) Kinji Fukasaku
Ghost in the Shell (1995) Mamoru Oshii
The Station Agent (2003)  Tom McCarthy
The Avengers (2012) Joss Whedon

I like a couple of those, so you might as well keep away from my DVD collection. Sin City really is unwatchable though and would easily make my top 10.

Other than that, Project X, Crash (you know which one), Me and You and Everyone We Knoware three films that set my blood boiling just by thinking about them. Can't think of any more.

EDIT: Withnail & I.

Onken

The Green Mile and Braveheart also jump out looking at the IMDb Top 250.

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top?ref_=nv_ch_250_4

Jim_MacLaine

You hate the Station Agent.

Berk.

With you on Garden State though and add (forum favourite) Endless Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

prwc

By no means the worst 10 films I've seen but if we're talking stuff most other people seem to really like I'd go for:

Requiem For A Dream
Donnie Darko
8 1/2 (Hate is maybe not the right word as it is very nicely shot, but fucking hell is it dull)
Paranormal Activity
[REC]
Dead Man
Ringu
Romeo + Juliet
Gravity

Red Lights, Lethal Weapon 4, The Counsellor, Prometheus, Million Dollar Baby, Last Days (or any Van Sant film really)

and GAWDFAVER FREE

the psyche intangible

Quote from: the psyche intangible on July 18, 2015, 08:58:50 PM
Prometheus? You radgy nut.

Good visual effects and art direction can't prop up the atrocity of every other aspect of it. A true shiter.

the psyche intangible

Balls. It even shits on Aliens and improves with views.

thraxx

The Normal Heart.
Brokeback Mountain.
Weekend.
Shelter.
A Single Man.
Undertow.
Prayers for Bobby.
Maurice.
Clapham Junction.
East Side Story.

Consignia

Quote from: Onken on July 18, 2015, 05:49:26 PM
Clerks II (2006) Kevin Smith

Was this really popular or even critically praised? I thought it was released with little fanfare, and even the fans think it's a boring rehash of the previous film.

Onken

I wanted to include at least one Kevin Smith film.

7.4/10 IMDb rating, thats his fourth highest and some fans still begging for a third installment.

Cop Out is fucking horrendous if we're naming the worst I've seen.

Serge

Amelie (2001)
Jurassic World (2015)
Elizabethtown (2005)
Kill Bill Part 1 (2003)
Before Midnight (2013)
Under The Skin (2014)
Star Wars and any of its sequels and prequels (1977, etc)
Lord Of The Rings and associated Hobbit bollocks (2001, etc)
The Matrix (1999)
Anything at all associated with Mel Gibson.

Funcrusher

Good to see The Avengers, Withnail and I and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind in here.

I'll add Fight Club, The Dark Knight Returns, Traffic, Match Point, the Assault on Precinct 13 remake, The Departed, The Matrix sequels,Pulp Fiction and Take This Waltz.

Pepotamo1985

Funcrusher

Oh fuck yes, Kill Bill (both parts).

I like Dead Man, but salute anyone's right to hate on it, but surely Jarmusch has made other lazy, self satisfied shit films subsequently which are worse.

Danger Man

Anything by the Coen Brothers.

Overrated wank.

AKA 'starts well but has no idea where to go after that'.

colacentral

These aren't necessarily films that I hate, but films most people love that I'm not a fan of to varying degrees. I also went through the IMDB top 250 for inspiration.

The Godfather

The quintessential example of an overrated film franchise in my opinion. I think this and part 2 are good films, and for their time they are of course brilliant. But in terms of crime / mafia films, I think Once Upon a Time in America and Goodfellas are much stronger. The whole Sonny sub-plot is terrible, with Talia Shire's bad acting, the scene with Sonny beating her husband up which looks so dated and fake, and Sonny's cartoon death scene. I actually do think the film is great up until the restaurant murder scene, but after that there's too much stuff I don't care for. The brown filter annoys me too. I like part 2 less, but have only been able to watch it all the way through once so I don't have much to say about it.

I want to stress that I do like these films, but they don't get criticized anywhere near as much as I think they should.

The Dark Knight

A popular one to slag off, I know. I went to the cinema to see it twice and at the time I thought it was great up until Two-Face shows up. Now I tend to think the opening bank robbery is great and the rest of the film suffers in its wake. The dialogue is laughably bad. Harvey Dent and Rachel are shit characters that I don't care about. Bruce Wayne is okay but Batman's crap. Things I do enjoy - The Joker (excusing the aforementioned shit dialogue he occasionally gets lumbered with), the hospital bomb, the trip to China, the imitation Batmans.

Again, just like The Godfather, I do like it just fine, but there's a lot of shit stuff in it. Batman Begins was better, Dark Knight Rises was abysmal.

The Lord of the Rings

Not my cup of tea; boring; flat characters. I was considering buying them on blu-ray just to enjoy the visual aesthetic of them on my big TV, but I caught a bit of one on TV a while ago and some parts of it looked like a high budget Xena: Warrior Princess. Some of the aerial shots of The Fellowship running through empty fields with their cloaks, swords and wigs on whilst dramatic music plays are hilarious. Unlike the films above, I really do dislike these. I watched the first hour of the first Hobbit film on Netflix and it didn't seem that much worse than the Lord of the Rings to me.

Spirited Away

I'm a fairly big animation fan and was looking forward to this, but it bored me. I haven't watched it since the year it came out so maybe I need to give it another go, but the Studio Ghibli stuff really doesn't do it for me. I don't want to be someone who makes assumptions about fans of a certain thing, but I feel like when the reviews came in for this, a certain pretentious portion of the audience were going to like this no matter what, which is why it's as loved as it is. I can see it being popular, if not being to my personal preference, but there's no way it should be as popular as it is.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

This is a funny one for me because both Michel Gondry and Charlie Kaufman are people that in theory I should be a big fan of, but nothing either of them has done has done it for me. Kaufman in particular is a good, clever writer, but always falls short. Synecdoche, New York came closest, but even that I thought was overly long and pretentious.

The Sixth Sense

When you watch this knowing the twist it's awful and completely defies belief. As if those scenes between Bruce Willis and his wife where she "ignores" him would happen. It would have been a perfectly fine horror film without that subplot - if Shyamalan made The Exorcist he would have it so it turned out the Priest's dead mother was the demon all along.

Guardians of the Galaxy

Star Wars if it had smirking, smug humour and a shit villain. How can anyone watch the baby Groot dancing at the end for what feels like an eternity and not want to crawl into a ball and die?

Heat

This is fine, and watchable enough. Only rated so highly because DeNiro and Pacino are in it. Their performances are average, the film's too long. The DeNiro romance subplot stinks, approaching made-for-TV levels of mediocrity. The heists and the masks are good, and I like Val Kilmer in it.

Alien

I could put most Ridley Scott on here to be honest. Again, I like Alien just fine, especially the first half, but as soon as the crew start dying I lose interest. I've never understood the robot's method of killing Sigourney Weaver - putting a rolled up magazine on her lips? It doesn't go down her throat or anything. Couldn't he just strangle her with his robot hands? I feel like that was probably a shit idea that Ridley Scott came up with - I don't know why, just a hunch. The scene where Weaver thinks she's safe but the alien is having a nap in her escape pod doesn't work for me. I know it's meant to be tense, but to me it makes me just like the alien a bit - look at him there, just having a nap. Wants to be left alone by the looks of it, then gets blasted out the air lock. To top it off the rubber suit looks horrendous when it's floating in space. Aliens is better in every way, and I get annoyed when anyone says different.

Mean Streets

I just don't get it. I'm a Scorsese fan but outside of a few good scenes and performances this didn't do it for me the one time I watched it. Couldn't ever be bothered watching it again to see if my opinion changed.

Steven

Quote from: Danger Man on July 18, 2015, 10:40:15 PM
Anything by the Coen Brothers.

Overrated wank.

AKA 'starts well but has no idea where to go after that'.

Come on, they've done three or four good movies at least, I mean Fargo?!

Danger Man

Steven

Quote from: Danger Man on July 18, 2015, 11:07:55 PM
A Simple Plan is the best Coen movie...oh.

Quote from: Steven on December 28, 2014, 12:30:15 PM
looking for anything watchable in the way of films as there's fuck all on TV, I put on A Simple Plan, seen that? I've seen it years ago, it reminds me of a Coen Brothers type of film, and because of the small town snowy locality it has that Fargo vibe I suppose.

Mijkediablo

There's no way I'd be able to come up with ten films I hate- if I don't like something I either turn it off or disengage and think about other things until it's over- but I've got to give a mention to Fifty Shades Of Shite. I went as part of a deal with my girlfriend, we went to watch it and in return I get to choose a film to see at some point in the future (money in the bank, lads, money in the bank). By the end I was wishing I was single, just so I could've avoided sitting through that dreary crock of bubbling faeces. Even seeing boobs didn't make it any more enjoyable, it was that bad.

great_badir

As per others, not necessarily the worst but ones with a popularity that goes way over my head:

Citizen Kane - Welles wrote, directed and acted in other much much better films;
Trainspotting - everything, and more, that was terrible about "Kewl Britannia";
Savages (the Oliver Stone one) - "He fucks.  He makes love.", "Wargasms", Salma Hayek sounding like she's speaking the script phonetically due to a language barrier, John Travolta by FAR the best thing in it.  I was actually offended by how bad it was, and it says a lot when a teenage girl in front of you audibly scoffs when the film rewinds itself;
The Mist - looks and feels like a really cheap made for TV film.  The critics think it's a modern day horror masterpiece;
Scott Pilgrim - the first item of media that ever made me feel like I was old and totally out of touch;
Reservoir Dogs - Death Proof is, probably, Tarantino's worst film, but at least most people agree.  Dogs' bizarre popularity belies the fact that it's not much more than a stage play ripped off from at least half a dozen much better films;
Aliens - overlong 'Nam in space.  Prefer the low-key psychological warfare of Alien and Alien 3, thanks James;
It's a Wonderful Life - pass about fifty sick buckets.  And he hasn't actually learnt anything by the end, has he?;
Vertigo - now, apparently, officially the best film ever made.  Admittedly I'm not Hitchcock's biggest fan, but surely there's something amiss there...;
Cinderella Man - can someone please explain to me how this soft-focus piece of shit was heaped with praise, yet the genuine pathos of Rocky Balboa was met with "meh, another Rocky film"?

A special mention - every Wes Anderson film with the exception of Bottle Rocket and Rushmore.  Empty and pointlessly odd for the sake of being odd.

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: great_badir on July 18, 2015, 11:33:30 PM
Reservoir Dogs - Death Proof is, probably, Tarantino's worst film, but at least most people agree.  Dogs' bizarre popularity belies the fact that it's not much more than a stage play ripped off from at least half a dozen much better films;
Aliens - overlong 'Nam in space.  Prefer the low-key psychological warfare of Alien and Alien 3, thanks James;

Fuck yes. Reservoir Dogs is amateurish as fuck, and Aliens is a ludicrously long and overblown exercise in dullitude.

colacentral

Quote from: great_badir on July 18, 2015, 11:33:30 PM
A special mention - every Wes Anderson film with the exception of Bottle Rocket and Rushmore.  Empty and pointlessly odd for the sake of being odd.

Concur with that - love both those films. I don't mind Royal Tenenbaums too but everything else makes me feel sick. The same angles, the same characters, the horrible twee sets and props. It's disgusting. I will never watch The Grand Budapest Hotel.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I just don't like films. Like in general, as a medium.

newbridge

Django Unchained
Inglorious Basterds
Before Sunrise
Se7en
Human Centipede
Saw
Hostel
Leon: The Professional
Reservoir Dogs
Boondock Saints

Old Nehamkin