Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:13:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your Top 10 Hated Films Of All Time

Started by Onken, July 18, 2015, 05:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on July 18, 2015, 11:51:36 PM
I just don't like films. Like in general, as a medium.
Do you prefer séances ?

DukeDeMondo

Happiness. Fuck off, Happiness, you cowardly cunt of a thing.
Wild At Heart. Fuck off, Wild at Heart.
Blue Velvet. Fuck off, Blue Velvet, stick your earholes up your arse.
Blow Up. Fuck off, Blow Up.
8 1/2. Would you ever, 8 1/2? Seriously. Fuck off.
Fish Tank. Fuck off, Fish Tank.
Jeff Who Lives At Home. Get right to fuck, for fuck sake Jeff Who Lives At Home.
The Omen (2006). Go and fuck yourself The Omen (2006), you fuckin bucket of a thing.
Breaking The Waves. Break my fuck, Breaking the Waves, you pathetic bastard.
Shame. Get to fuck, Shame, just fuck off to fuck.

holyzombiejesus

Can only think of 4 at present.

Natural Born Killers
The Doors
Adaptation
The Element of Crime

Blinder Data

This is great - it's like I'm 14 again and listing all my favourite films on IMDB messageboards.

I don't really understand the hatred for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind? Loved it when I was younger, saw it again recently and I still think it's an interesting film that talks about relationships in a pleasingly raw way (not common in cinema, I feel).

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Fabian Thomsett

The Exorcist. Very tedious viewing for the most part. And the simplistic good vs. evil 'morality' is not something I can take seriously.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 19, 2015, 02:07:01 AM
Can only think of 4 at present.

Natural Born Killers
The Doors
The Element of Crime

Good call on the latter two. I think I gave up on Natural Born Killers somewhere around the 20 minute mark.

SavageHedgehog

Not sure I can work up full-on hate for them now, but these films all pissed me off with their sheer (to some degree, unexpected) uselessness when I saw them:

Empire Records
Reality Bites
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
Red Dragon
A Good Day to Die Hard
Away We Go
Lady in the Water
Clash of the Titans (2010)

I can't think of any more right now, so I'll make an honorable mention for Space Jam for disappointing me terribly as a child, and betraying a great pop cultural legacy but eventually becoming an icon for the smug 90s nostalgia wave. Also, the film adaptation of The Singing Detective for being the only film I've ever walked out on, although I revisited it a few years ago and I guess it's not *that* bad, but it still shouldn't have been made.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Onken on July 18, 2015, 07:40:22 PM
The Green Mile and Braveheart also jump out looking at the IMDb Top 250.

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top?ref_=nv_ch_250_4

I take IMDB rankings with a mine of salt, but there's some really strange stuff on that list these days. Fanboy mediocrities like Days of Future Past can be easily explained, but Hachi: A Dog's Tale? I mean, I haven't seen it, and I'm sure it's perfectly pleasant, but beloved enough to get to #190? Who knew?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Onken on July 18, 2015, 05:49:26 PM
Bugsy Malone (1976) Alan Parker

What? You are mental. You need help.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on July 19, 2015, 12:19:47 PM
Reality Bites

Yes, this'd rank pretty high on my list.  A total cowpat of a movie.

checkoutgirl

Can I put this thread in my top 10 most hated things of all time? I hate is thread. I hate it so much I will not read it any more.

Thanks.

Puce Moment

I Heart Huckabees (2004) - I fucking despise David O. Russell and all his shitty films
The Darjeeling Limited (2007) - Anderson jumps between great and awful, self-satisfied shit
Crash (2004) - Probably the film I most hate - awful, sentimental dross - fuck off Haggis
The Birds (1963) -  Hitchcock is one of the most over-rated directors, and this is up there in his shit pile
Oceans Eleven (2001) & Oceans Twelve (2004) - smug, rich people having a right ol' laugh inbetween all their really socially important films, yeah?
From Dusk Till Dawn (1996) - Shit and boring - self-indulgent
Before Sunrise (1995) - argh!
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (2011) - An exercise in unbalanced, boring action filmmaking
Closer (2004) -  has everything I could hate in a film - smug, middle-class, jude law, clive owen, julia roberts, marber
The Hurt Locker(2008) - don't even start me

checkoutgirl

I hope this thread dies in a horrendous chip pan fire.

newbridge

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 19, 2015, 02:08:19 PM
The Birds (1963) -  Hitchcock is one of the most over-rated directors, and this is up there in his shit pile

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 18, 2015, 03:05:30 AM
An incomplete top20:

Reservoir Dogs (1992)

May God have mercy on your soul.

newbridge

Also please add to my list:

Zero Dark Thirty
American Sniper

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 19, 2015, 02:08:19 PM

The Darjeeling Limited (2007) - Anderson jumps between great and awful, self-satisfied shit

Ah, I don't think he does jump any more; his films are just vile. And, even though I actually liked Darjeeling (the last live action film of his that I could tolerate), I will add Moonrise Kingdom to my list. I think I audibly exclaimed 'oh, fuck off' in the cinema during that one.

Small Man Big Horse

Just five for now:

The Blair Witch Project - Stupid characters do stupid things in woods, deserve to die, we don't even get to see their spleens ripped out of their pathetic bodies. Boo.
A.I. - I don't care if Kubrick would have liked the ending or not, it's fucking rubbish and the robot boy should have been stamped on at the beginning of the film by an even bigger robot and then eaten by a robot wolf.
Garden State - Worst film of all time.
2012 - Has a great bit at the beginning when the city falls apart but then is one tired and less impressive set piece after another.
The Dark Knight Rises - Just laughably awful in so many different ways, but having Bane basically being nothing but Talia al Ghul's trained puppy was the worst decision.

prwc

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on July 19, 2015, 01:54:08 AMBlow Up. Fuck off, Blow Up.

Ah, forgot about that one, tedious wank indeed. Blow Out is far better, a rare example of a [nb]unofficial[/nb]remake improving on the original.

billtheburger

Troy.
Death Race (2008)

I've never seen the following titles, because I hate them:
Robocop (2014)
Total Recall (2012)
The Stepford Wives (2004)
Carrie (2013)
The Manchurian Candidate (2004)
Clash of The Titans (2010)
The Karate Kid (2010)
Conan the Barbarian (2010)

Puce Moment

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 19, 2015, 02:53:55 PMAh, I don't think he does jump any more; his films are just vile. And, even though I actually liked Darjeeling (the last live action film of his that I could tolerate), I will add Moonrise Kingdom to my list. I think I audibly exclaimed 'oh, fuck off' in the cinema during that one.

I couldn't watch that - in fact I avoid his films as a rule, but often find myself in the position of watching them. I thought Grand Budapest Hotel was a triumph in many ways, possibly because it seemed to have less of the ensemble feel about it. Although it parachuted in most of its mates, I was pleased that it mainly focused on Fiennes and  F. Murray Abraham who are less associated with his other 'my kooky famous people friends' films.

I won't have a word said against Rushmore though. I adore that film.

popcorn

Moonrise Kingdom rules.

It's rare that I properly hate a movie. In recent years the only one that jumps out at me is God Help the Girl. Incompetently assembled, trite, boring, has a bizarre pro-alternative-medicine subplot - absolutely insufferably twee. I mean this is the kind of thing that people who hate twee things are complaining about, and this is coming from a Belle and Sebastian fan. Ghastly.

garbed_attic

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on July 19, 2015, 01:54:08 AM
Happiness. Fuck off, Happiness, you cowardly cunt of a thing.

Please expand i.e. the cowardliness! I'm intrigued as to why.

Do you reckon they should have just had the guts to call it 'Free the Pedos'?

Noodle Lizard

Anyone who thinks Happiness condones paedophilia (i.e. most of IMDb) is ... I dunno, but they're not good.

garbed_attic

I only really hate films that strike me as insincere, smug, hectoring or hypocritical... so with that in mind:
Kids
American Beauty (my love for Thora Birch however only increased when I saw a bit from an interview in which she says that it's a rubbish film she's not proud of being involved in)
Kick-Ass
Funny Games (for such a talented director Haneke's films irritate the shit out of me... the cinematic equivalent of Stewart Lee going 'aaaahhhh')
Sin City

Oh and a controversial one... Sightseers, but mostly because you guys kept harping on about its brilliance and it was wobby sub-League of Gentlemen 'so dark' nonsense. I honestly think the second series of Nighty Night has more integrity.

garbed_attic

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 19, 2015, 06:31:19 PM
Anyone who thinks Happiness condones paedophilia (i.e. most of IMDb) is ... I dunno, but they're not good.

I was being glib! I don't think that!

I think it's a little smug and off-hand and Todd Solondz probably doesn't care *all that much* about child abuse victims... but personally I think the film is melancholy, funny and well-acted enough to be considered a decent watch at worst!

Puce Moment

I didn't include Beyond the Sea (2004) because I didn't have especially high expectations for it, but as film's go it is fucking dross. It kind of reveals Spacey as a bit of a shyster and emperor's new clothes, given that it was his passion project. Some of the worst dialogue and dreadful singing. If you can make it past the first 25mins I salute you.

There could be a whole thread on misguided, financially disastrous, passion project film's by wealthy actors, directors, artists etc, and this would be right up there.

Now, I thought Drive was derivative and dull, but I would not include it in this thread because I can see its merits, and it would be disingenuous to list it just because so many people love it. Same goes for Gravity.

But The Immigrant (2013)? I really cannot fathom how this film got so much acclaim, apart from the casting.

If you guys hate Happiness, you should check out Storytelling. Fuckin' hell.

Noleedmons

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on July 19, 2015, 12:32:26 AM
All of the films that this guy likes.

Fuck me are we still pushing that joke?
Who says this place is stagnating?

checkoutgirl

This thread is certainly in my top 10 most hated things of all time, that's for sure. I refuse to read it.

Steven

Quote from: Noleedmons on July 19, 2015, 06:54:19 PM
Fuck me are we still pushing that joke?
Who says this place is stagnating?

I think this poster said that.