Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 01:51:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your Top 10 Hated Films Of All Time

Started by Onken, July 18, 2015, 05:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

Quote from: gout_pony on July 19, 2015, 06:36:31 PM

American Beauty (my love for Thora Birch however only increased when I saw a bit from an interview in which she says that it's a rubbish film she's not proud of being involved in)

Do you have a link for that?

colacentral

Avatar was a complete turd that would have ended Cameron's career and been the biggest flop in history if this was a just universe.

garbed_attic

Quote from: popcorn on July 19, 2015, 07:09:36 PM
Do you have a link for that?

I'll have a search. It came up a few years back on her blog.

EDIT: Ah. It may just have been an anecdote (search for 'thora birch' in the comments). oh well
http://scriptshadow.blogspot.co.uk/2010/07/unconventional-week-american-beauty.html

Still, the sardonic and prickly tone certainly sounds like Thora!

Quote from: gout_pony on July 19, 2015, 06:36:31 PM
Funny Games (for such a talented director Haneke's films irritate the shit out of me... the cinematic equivalent of Stewart Lee going 'aaaahhhh')

Oh God yes. "Ooh I'll show those cretins, enjoying violent films. I'll make a really violent film to make them feel bad, where the smug ham main baddie winks at the camera every 5 minutes. The message is so subtle and subversive that most of the slovenly plebs that see it won't even get that it's anti-violence! The yanks are too stupid to read subtitles, so I'll remake it myself shot-for-shot, and cast Michael Pitt because the original actor wasn't bad enough, and when I do interviews I'll refuse to speak English even though I can, because I'm a contemptible arsehole"

The White Ribbon was good though.

Hollow

This is a much more difficult question that it first sounds.

I mean I assume sequels are banned as they are all bad...cheating almost.

I don't remember stuff I don't really like, and I don't really hate many films as a consequence.

Spiteface

Quote from: Consignia on July 18, 2015, 09:36:16 PM
Was this really popular or even critically praised? I thought it was released with little fanfare, and even the fans think it's a boring rehash of the previous film.

I like it, and it's not without its fans. I can see how to some, it could be seen as an admission of defeat by Kevin Smith, after his first non-Askewniverse film, "Jersey Girl" bombed. The next thing he does, is going back to what brought him to people's attention in the first place.

It's legit one of the few films that has genuinely made me cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rolgF0lDtuk

Jeff Anderson, ladies and gentlemen.

I digress. I can't be arsed to make a list. Off the top of my head, both Sex and the City films, 50 Shades of Grey, fill the rest with any Star Wars or Disney films of your choice. That'd do it.

Quote from: Spiteface on July 19, 2015, 09:35:35 PM
I like it, and it's not without its fans. I can see how to some, it could be seen as an admission of defeat by Kevin Smith, after his first non-Askewniverse film, "Jersey Girl" bombed. The next thing he does, is going back to what brought him to people's attention in the first place.

It's legit one of the few films that has genuinely made me cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rolgF0lDtuk

Jeff Anderson, ladies and gentlemen.

Yeah, I was 13 when it came out and I loved it. It did it's job.

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 19, 2015, 05:23:55 PM
The Dark Knight Rises - Just laughably awful in so many different ways, but having Bane basically being nothing but Talia al Ghul's trained puppy was the worst decision.

It's one of those movies that is made all the more bewilderingly, comically and stultifyingly shit because of who was involved. I just can't fathom how Nolan didn't notice the shockingly blatant plot holes and the total lack of logic in so many aspects of the story, didn't clock the pacing was astounding poor and didn't try to get better performances out of the actors - or how the people involved didn't question the script, or try to perform better. Just...ick. It's definitely one of the worst movies I've ever seen at a cinema. I say this as someone who ranks Batman Begins as one of my favourite movies.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Pepotamo1985 on July 19, 2015, 09:52:38 PM
It's one of those movies that is made all the more bewilderingly, comically and stultifyingly shit because of who was involved. I just can't fathom how Nolan didn't notice the shockingly blatant plot holes and the total lack of logic in so many aspects of the story, didn't clock the pacing was astounding poor and didn't try to get better performances out of the actors - or how the people involved didn't question the script, or try to perform better. Just...ick. It's definitely one of the worst movies I've ever seen at a cinema. I say this as someone who ranks Batman Begins as one of my favourite movies.

I've little faith in Nolan unfortunately, nothing he's done has ever interested me that much, Inception's probably my favourite film of his but it only works as a visual spectacle and a very silly one at that. When it comes to Bats I'm a huge Burton fan, and struggled with Begins, but then I hate that kind of origin tale. But I did like The Dark Knight well enough, and wanted to like this, but found myself sighing throughout a lot of the running time, and it has such an idiotic ending I couldn't believe it'd received such critical praise.

prwc

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 19, 2015, 06:43:56 PMNow, I thought Drive was derivative and dull, but I would not include it in this thread because I can see its merits, and it would be disingenuous to list it just because so many people love it. Same goes for Gravity.

The OP's criteria seemed to be for films most other people seem to like, hence me listing Gravity. Not one of my least favourite films but certainly one of my least favourite films that was very well received critically/financially. Even that I'll give that the FX are occasionally impressive but so they should be if it costs $100 million to make.

I really like Drive though it's up there with Scott Pilgrim among films I love that I can easily understand why other people would hate.

non capisco

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 19, 2015, 10:04:06 PM
I couldn't believe it'd received such critical praise.

Did it though? I honestly don't remember. If it did I reckon it was like the film version of all those music mags giving 'Be Here Now' by Oasis five out of five.

Quote from: Funcrusher on July 18, 2015, 10:31:48 PM
Oh fuck yes, Kill Bill (both parts).

Out of interest, why?

I was a fan of Tarantino's earlier, popular films, but after hating part 1 and finding absolutely no redeeming features in it, I didn't think it worth bothering with the second part. What made you give it another go, and were you actually expecting the sequel to one of your 10 most hated films of all time to be massively better?

Mr Banlon

Bugsy Malone Our inner-cities are plagued with teenage wannabe gangsters because of this film and the subsequent seemingly innocent end of term school-play versions of it. Responsible for anal creampies too.
Wayne' World 2 It's on now. It is shit and unfunny.
Rocky films All of them. Yes, even the first one. 
Jaws Sharks are good. You're a land mammal, stay out of the fucking water.
Top Gun Reaganite recruitment poster. Makes you wanna jump off a bridge.
Ferris Bueller He is an 'orrible cunt.
Close Encounters Responsible for every dickhead UFO-nut since 1977
The Great Rock'n'Roll Swindle Fuck Malcolm McLaren, fucking chancer.
Rocky Horror Picture Show Rocky Horrible more like.
Convoy I wanted to see The Cat From Outer Space daddy. SLAP ! Well tell your mum you did, you little prick.[nb]I was 28[/nb]

Absorb the anus burn

The Wicker Man (Nicholas Cage remake)... (The second worst remake ever)
Genevieve.... (Smug as fuck)
The Ladykillers (Coen Brothers remake).... (The worst remake ever)
Death In Venice...... (Dull, dull, dull)
The Knack (And How To Get It).... (That fucking bed sequence)
The Avengers (Hollywood version of TV series)... (An unmitigated disaster)
Love Actually.... (vomit inducing)
Fargo.... (hateful, the least convincing female character ever)
The Lion King.... (obnoxious, cheesy, conservative)
Apollo 13... (totally lacking in atmosphere)

phantom_power

You lot need to see some shitter films. Hardly any of these should be on this thread.
Love Actually is a good call, but where is Pretty Woman? Dirty Dancing? Rocky Horror Picture Show? Tomb Raider?

garbed_attic

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on July 19, 2015, 10:36:33 PM
Fargo.... (hateful, the least convincing female character ever)

?! But it has a decent message about the virtues of a simple and well-led life, which is powerful by virtue of being in the middle of a Coens movie of all places. Plus, I don't see why Margie is unconvincing. The Coens seem to know the manners and people of Minnesota pretty good (since they were born and grew up there).

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: non capisco on July 19, 2015, 10:11:21 PM
Did it though? I honestly don't remember. If it did I reckon it was like the film version of all those music mags giving 'Be Here Now' by Oasis five out of five.

It got overwhelmingly positive reviews and the few critical voices there were received death threats from crazed Nolan fanboys.

non capisco

Well, in the words of Christopher Nolan favourite Sir Michael Caine....bloody 'ell.

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: gout_pony on July 19, 2015, 10:47:50 PM
?! But it has a decent message about the virtues of a simple and well-led life, which is powerful by virtue of being in the middle of a Coens movie of all places. Plus, I don't see why Margie is unconvincing. The Coens seem to know the manners and people of Minnesota pretty good (since they were born and grew up there).

Sorry :-( but it was a film I absolutely hated.... Coen characters always bug me. There is something so sneery and patronising about the way they are written, and how the actors are given direction. It makes me want to scream.

Mr Banlon

About A Boy Never seen it. But a scene from it was filmed (without notice) at Colours billiard hall in Twickenham (It's now a Rileys)
Not because it was particularly shit (though I have heard it is indeed awful), but because I'd taken three buses during rush-hour[nb]Through Hounslow for fucks sake[/nb] to get to Twickenham and was turned away at the door because they were filming and I had go home.
Not only that, the next time I went there, the framed photos of Willie Mosconi, Earl 'The Pearl' Strickland and Ronnie 'Autism' O'Sullivan were replaced with pictures of Hugh Grant pretending to play Snooker.

Noodle Lizard

Bugsy Malone is fucking great, away and cunt with anyone who says otherwise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1FgpBxXho4

Ere's a fun fact.  I loved the barely-secondary character Knuckles so much as a kid that I wanted to convert to Judaism.  I also asked my parents for a cassette tape of knuckle-cracking sound effects for my birthday, so that I might be able to play from my pocket to emulate his signature move (I couldn't crack my own knuckles, and I just thought it was the coolest damn thing ever).  I was a weird little kid, mind.

Steven

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on July 19, 2015, 10:58:22 PM
Sorry :-( but it was a film I absolutely hated.... Coen characters always bug me. There is something so sneery and patronising about the way they are written, and how the actors are given direction. It makes me want to scream.

How many times have you seen it? I really think most of the Coen's stuff is about simple people trying to just get through their day with maybe some extraordinary things happening, and them just trying to get on with their lives. I don't know what you mean by sneery in that they are inadvertently funny or pathetic? It's a film it's meant to be entertaining by way of the script and not a documentary. Gah, don't get the Fargo hate.

non capisco

I still find the end scene of Bugsy Malone pretty joyous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA_0cvd1EUM

Laaa laaa laaa la la la laaa!

Steven

I've never seen Bugsy Malone but anything with Paul Williams' tunes can tell you to fuck right off, he's the diminutive Harry Nilsson.

Onken

All the people who I knew at school that loved quoting Bugsy Malone were the same ones who thought their Dad's Roy Chubby Brown VHS tapes were hilarious. The soundtrack is up their with Grease as making me want to instantly vomit.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Onken on July 19, 2015, 11:58:32 PM
All the people who I knew at school that loved quoting Bugsy Malone were the same ones who thought their Dad's Roy Chubby Brown VHS tapes were hilarious. The soundtrack is up their with Grease as making me want to instantly vomit.

Grease also has some fucking great songs in it, though.  Hopelessly Devoted To You is a fantastic fucking tune, even if it's sung by Olivia Newton-John and is accompanied by that laughably shit Travolta superimposition in the movie.

Coincidentally, the sheet music for both Bugsy Malone and Grease are what I used to teach myself piano, so maybe I have more appreciation for them as a result ........ nah, they're just quite good.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Mr Banlon on July 19, 2015, 10:30:22 PM
Jaws Sharks are good. You're a land mammal, stay out of the fucking water.

If sharks were good it wouldn't matter if people went in the water.

In the film the shark is bad. It's a film.

Dex Sawash

Most of my hates are really "forced to watch" movies.

Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl total shit AND has one of those shit one-note hispanic comedians[nb]mencia or whoever [/nb] who isn't funny

SpongeBob the movie tried to go too big

Scott fucking Pilgrim wtf

And the worst pile of wank of all time

Now you see me

marquis_de_sad

Worst films:

Don't Look Now
Don't Look Now? More like don't watch this film! (now or ever)

Citizen Kane
Deep focus? More like deep fuck-arse!

Lawrence of Arabia
Peter O'Toole? More like Peter Oh you are a fool!

King Kong
King Kong? More like King Kwrong (i.e. wrong)!

The Red Shoes
The Red Shoes? More like the shoes full of shit (bloody shit hence red)!

Raging Bull
Raging Bull? More like Raging fucking Bullshit!

The Terminator
I'll be back? More like I'll be a crap film that everyone hates!

Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove? More like Dr (it's) Strangepeoplelove (this film)!

The Godfather
The Godfather? More like the God-awful film(ther)!

Seven Samurai
Seven Samurai? More like Seven Sam(thing quite boring, am I) ri(ght)?

Bicycle Thieves
Bicycle Thieves? More like don't watch this film it's crap!

The Wizard of Oz
The Wizard of Oz? More like fuck off!

gmoney

Quote from: Onken on July 19, 2015, 11:58:32 PM

Both Bugsy Malone and Grease are excellent films, and actually Roy Chubby Brown is actually a lot more nuanced and interesting than you're giving him credit for. The last bit is bollocks obviously, but I'd suggest using a larger sample size for these things in future. I've known loads of people who like those two films and none of them have ever started telling gags about immigrants.