Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:23:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The "XTC are really really good" thread

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, July 19, 2015, 12:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artie Fufkin

Just watched another episode of Amazon Prime's Marvellous Mrs Maisel. Each episode ends with a different song being played over the credits. This week, I was delighted, DELIGHTED, to hear XTC's Dear Madam Barnum. Must listen to that album again.

DrGreggles

Andy's back on Twitter.
Danny Baker has been trying to get him on his 5 Live show.

Crabwalk

Colin's been on a few podcasts the last few weeks and is sounding pretty heartened by the response to TC&I - even talking about potentially playing some live dates. That'd be pretty exciting!

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 12, 2018, 11:01:42 PM
Colin's been on a few podcasts the last few weeks and is sounding pretty heartened by the response to TC&I - even talking about potentially playing some live dates. That'd be pretty exciting!

They'd have loads of Colin stuff to play live. I hope nobody would expect them to perform any Andy XTC songs.

Crabwalk

Yes, and it was very lazy of me not to link to them myself. Thank you daf.

Brundle-Fly

Yea thanks to daf and Crabwalk for bringing these to my attention.

Dr Syntax Head

Just watching that Old Grey Whistle Test thing on BBC4 and got that goosebumps rush at seeing XTC on there, trouble is it was only a clip not a whole performance. Still...

non capisco

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on February 23, 2018, 10:38:04 PM
Just watching that Old Grey Whistle Test thing on BBC4 and got that goosebumps rush at seeing XTC on there, trouble is it was only a clip not a whole performance. Still...

Was it them doing 'Radios In Motion'? Superb stuff. I've got hardcore back into their early Barry Andrews era stuff lately. 'Into The Atom Age' is such an amazing song. I love that febrile insectoid jittery sound they had on 'White Music'. A million miles away from where they ended up and I adore both ends of the timeline.

Whole thing here :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBaUWDrtlSc

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: non capisco on February 23, 2018, 10:46:11 PM
Was it them doing 'Radios In Motion'? Superb stuff. I've got hardcore back into their early Barry Andrews era stuff lately. 'Into The Atom Age' is such an amazing song. I love that febrile insectoid jittery sound they had on 'White Music'. A million miles away from where they ended up and I adore both ends of the timeline.

Whole thing here :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBaUWDrtlSc

Yes it was. And that's brilliant thanks : )

That's the definition of cool right there

Nowhere Man

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 25, 2018, 08:52:56 PM
https://twitter.com/xtcfans/status/967859582419853312

I love Harry Shearer's response. Sometimes it pleasantly surprises me to realise how many famous people like XTC too (and yeah i've seen him in the documentary) my theory is that XTC are such a 'musician's musician' band that those in the musical/entertainment industry are more likely to give props than the general public by large would. Having said that, if Half Man Half Biscuit can remain ridiculously underground after 30 odd years (largely by choice to be fair) and Julian Cope be seen as fairly obscure than it shouldn't be that surprising that the public's never given them their proper due.

Brundle-Fly

Excellent tribute act. Highly recommended.

Brundle-Fly

Head Gardener

Do any of you good people here know what the the 'Hawaiian Goons on nosepipe' music is playing from approx 6:14 to 7:07 on this Andy Partridge clip?

https://youtu.be/bpb1mOp9J-8

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Head Gardener on March 27, 2018, 08:40:53 AM
Do any of you good people here know what the the 'Hawaiian Goons on nosepipe' music is playing from approx 6:14 to 7:07 on this Andy Partridge clip?

https://youtu.be/bpb1mOp9J-8

Going by his reverb v/o at the end, I'm wondering whether it's a Partridge original tossed out in the shed one evening. He has dabbled in virtually every music style you can think of. It's not on any of his Fuzzy Warbles demo albums as far as I can remember.

Head Gardener

Nowhere Man

Just heard Earn Enough For Us in a Chicago diner! The yanks seem to like XTC quite a bit.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

https://mobile.twitter.com/xtcfans/status/985125250978451456
QuoteOff to the shed to hear Steven Wilson's first 2 mixes for next XTC 5.1 project.

!!

daf

QuoteThanks Daz. Not sure of the 'lost-ness' of BE yet. We have AV, but there may be tech problems in getting it converted, I hope not.

So it's not Big Express or Apple Venus (and presumably Wasp Star?)

Which leaves : White Music, Go 2, English Settlement, Mummer . . maybe Dukes?

The last I looked, some multi-tracks were still missing from Settlement - so I'd think that one was unlikely right now.

itsfredtitmus

dunno how people can be arsed buying a 5.1 (i dont know what that means) xtc pink floyd or whatever every year

Crabwalk

Well, if we take the latest XTC 5.1 release, for Black Sea, you get:

• CD: Features a 2017 stereo album mix by Steven Wilson with bonus tracks (many featuring Steven Wilson mixes).

• Blu-Ray: a 5.1 Surround mix in 24bit/96khz mixed from the original multi-track tapes available in LPCM and DTS HD MA.

• Additional Blu-Ray features include:
- The 2017 stereo album mix in 24bit/96khz LPCM audio.
- Additional songs from the album sessions in stereo and 5.1 (several featuring 2017 Steven Wilson mixes)
- The original stereo album mix in hi-res stereo + bonus tracks.
- Instrumental versions (mixed by Steven Wilson), and several bonus mixes in 24bit/96khz LPCM audio.
- Many album tracks in demo form as recorded (mostly live) at Phonogram Studios prior to the main album sessions.
- Three Andy Partridge demos from Phonogram studios.
- Three Andy Partridge demos from Swindon Town Hall.
- Promo films for Towers Of London, Generals & Majors & Respectable Street.
- A signed postcard, if you pre-order

All for the princely sum of £15.99. So if you're a fan of the band it's worth it once a year for the rarities and new stereo mixes alone (even if, like me, you don't have a 5.1 set-up).

daf

I can only play the blu raymond through my telly (just haven't got anywhere to put 5 extra speakers - my room is already bursting at the seams with 47 years worth of accumulated tottering crap heirlooms)

The big draw for me are the instrumental mixes - I like some of these better than the 'proper' versions!

Nowhere Man

I love the new mixes, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the crossfades. To be honest, Mummer and especially The Big Express are the new mixes I'm most looking forward to hearing in the future. English Settlement already sounds excellent

purlieu

I've genuinely changed my opinion on albums after hearing a good remaster - a decent album can suddenly reveal itself to be bloody wonderful once it sounds big and alive - but I've never, ever wanted to hear a new mix of an album. I truly don't get the appeal. I've not listened to any of the XTC ones yet, but have the drums on Oranges & Lemons and Nonesuch been de-80s-ified? I dunno, the mix of an album is all part and parcel of what it is. Removing the cross-fades takes away a certain characteristic of the record, too.

I do like deluxe edition albums, I have plenty and there are many more that I want. A nice second disc of b-sides and unreleased pieces can be a wonderful addition and is often worthy of listening to in its own right. Without owning a Blu-Ray player or a 5.1 system, coupled with the whole new mixes thing, these XTC reissues have been very disappointing for me.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: daf on April 18, 2018, 03:18:20 PM
So it's not Big Express or Apple Venus (and presumably Wasp Star?)

Which leaves : White Music, Go 2, English Settlement, Mummer . . maybe Dukes?

The last I looked, some multi-tracks were still missing from Settlement - so I'd think that one was unlikely right now.

Hoping for Mummer if Settlement's out, though I REALLY hope there's been a miraculous discovery there. Mummer would be brilliant though, i'd struggle to give a toss about the first two albums.

I think Partridge said a Dukes remix, or mono mix which would have been a cool addition, would be tricky or not worth it (can't remember exactly) because a lot of the effects were applied directly to certain instruments as they were being recorded rather than during the mix.

daf

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on April 18, 2018, 08:07:13 PM
I think Partridge said a Dukes remix, or mono mix which would have been a cool addition, would be tricky or not worth it (can't remember exactly) because a lot of the effects were applied directly to certain instruments as they were being recorded rather than during the mix.

There's apparently a unique bit of extra flange (or reverb?) on the end of Mole From the Ministry - which is only on the original vinyl of 25 O'Clock due to John Leckie pressing a magic knob at the 'cutting' stage (so it's only on the records pressed from that stamper).
Andy mentions it around 15 minutes into this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfFVO74Khn0

Aside from the original 1985 Virgin vinyl edition, the 1987/1991 Geffen 'Chips' CD is the one to get.

The 2001 "remaster" should be avoided like brown acid as it is TOO FRIGGING LOUD and is dynamically as flat as a pancake as a result :
http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=xtc&album=chips

(the 2009 heavy vinyl versions in the purple velvet box also sound like 2D cardboard crap - but have some interesting bonus demos on the CD's)

DrGreggles

A comment on one of his tweets has led to a few weeks of back and forth Twitter messages with Andy.
We're getting on well. I might invite him out for a pint.

daf

Shaving Brush Boogie is another hidden track on that set.

Hadn't realised it before, but according to the liner notes of the 25'OClock re-issue, this 'Drunken Jam session' from 1981 was actually the first attempt at The Dukes project.

Andy Partridge  :
QuoteThough one evening near the end of the English Settlement sessions and a few beers fuller, I made a suggestion that dipped our toes into the liquid light show.

"Hey fellows! Why don't we pretend to be a band from 1967 and knock out some songs? We can just improvise them."

Well, we valliantly thrashed around for an hour but it quickly dawned on me that you can't just bang this stuff out. The best songs from that era were very well constructed, little bijou baroque pearls, not lumbering drunken knockabouts.

Dave Gregory:
QuoteThe 'drunken session' happened after a visit to the local pub in Shipton-on-Cherwell, during the last days of mixing English Settlement (Friday 13th of November 1981, according to my diary). We'd just mixed 'Punch and Judy' and only had 'No Thugs' left to do, so we celebrated early. The instruments were still set up in the studio and when we returned, in a somewhat boisterous mood, we decided we'd make a noise. Hugh Padgham opened up a couple of ambient mics in the room and recorded the cacophony direct to 2-track, for future amusement.

The whole session is a bit like XTC's Troggs Tape - be a nice bonus for the English Settlement blu ray set - if it ever comes out.

Shaving Brush Boogie
Orange Dust (can't find this on the net, but here's a transcript - http://chalkhills.org/reelbyreal/s_OrangeDust.html)
Orange Dust (Slight Return)
Silver Sewing Machine
Pupil Haze
Community Worker Breakdown  (http://chalkhills.org/reelbyreal/s_CommunityWorkerBreakdown.html)
Whole Lotta Age

Bonus :
Hot Leathers and a Fist of Fire
(This was included on the tape I had, but it was apparently recorded during the Black Sea sessions at The Manor with a drunken Richard Branson on vocals . . . though I always thought it was Andy.)