Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:36:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The "XTC are really really good" thread

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, July 19, 2015, 12:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crabwalk

I am about to arrive in Swindon. I still can't quite believe this is happening.

daf

Is it tonight?

Quote from: Andy Partridge
Wishing Colin and Terry much fun and success with the forthcoming TC&I shows. Break a stick chaps.
https://twitter.com/xtcfans/status/1056931400136429570

Crabwalk

non capisco

I imagine the love in that room will be overwhelming. Crabwalk, you lucky so and so!

Nowhere Man

Brundle-Fly

Crabwalk

You lucky people that are yet to go. These shows are all going to be incredibly special.

No spoilers, but I'll make a few comments:

- Colin is in great voice. I thought there'd be lots of shifted keys and melodic compromises but he sings the hell out of everything. Pretty much faultless. Especially on... no. I'll say no more for now.
- Again, I expected lots of compromises in his bass playing, but I only spotted a couple of exceptionally tricky lines that he simplified slightly while singing. Considering he's not performed live (properly) in 36 years it's genuinely amazing that he can sing and play these songs so brilliantly.
- Terry hits his drums as hard as you dreamed on the loud songs, and plays very well when a defter touch is required. Seeing him play drums to xtc classics that were recorded after he left, and have never been played live til tonight, was utterly magical.
- The band are far from the pub rock plodders I (unfairly) feared. The lead guitarist's antics weren't my cup of tea but his playing was excellent, and the keyboardist does an astonishing job - but to say more would risk spoiling things.
- The set has plenty of surprises throughout. I'll say no more except...
- The Andy song they picked is perfect, and was played (and received) with immense joy.
- There were a few favourites of mine that didn't get an outing tonight, making me think they'll be changing things up as the residency progresses. Or that they're keeping some songs up their sleeeves for more dates in the future.
- This cannot be a one-off residency. They are so good, they're built for far bigger venues than the (no disrespect as it's lovely) Swindon Arts Centre. I know why they've decided to kick things off again at home, but I think they  know now they have to take this out there and I'll be astonished if they don't visit at least a few cities next year.

A couple of practical points for those attending.
- TC&I come on STRAIGHT AFTER the support act at 8.15. Don't be tempted to go for a pint, you'll miss them ambling on unassumingly. This caught lots of people out tonight.
- There's a 20 minute interval at 8.50, apparently at the venue's behest. They then play for about another hour after that.

What an experience. I wish I was going again. I feel like I dreamt it. What the hell has Colin been depriving the world of for almost 40 years? He was so comfortable!

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Crabwalk on October 29, 2018, 11:50:08 PM
- TC&I come on STRAIGHT AFTER the support act at 8.15. Don't be tempted to go for a pint, you'll miss them ambling on unassumingly. This caught lots of people out tonight.

Cheers for the heads up. Support act any good?

Very excited for this now, reading your post. Can't wait.

Crabwalk

The support act is absolutely fine; a young man and acoustic guitar playing and singing well. Due to the fast changeover and tightness of the venue I'd definitely recommend being in your seat for 7.45 and settled in for him so you get a sense of build-up to TC&I.

One thing I forgot to mention above is that each night Colin and Terry are coming front of house after the show for photos and chat with fans.

Head Gardener

the setlist from yesterday here - don't click if you don't want to know!

Crabwalk

Why would you tempt them with that? Whhhhhyyyyy?

Stay strong and resist the urge, folks.

Head Gardener

ah it's OK, I am going on Thursday and will put a quid on them swapping songs around anyway

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Head Gardener on October 30, 2018, 10:00:36 AM
the setlist from yesterday here - don't click if you don't want to know!
Awwww, man! That looks amazing. I so hope they take this on the road.

Head Gardener

Crabwalk

^ Just seen who the wearer/creator is on facebook!

I'm awake because I've got some sort of horrible flu virus that developed overnight in Swindon yesterday. Hope there wasn't too much of it floating around Swindon Arts Centre, waiting to hit the band. Though I've heard Steve Tilling was too ill to sing backing vocals last night?

DrGreggles

Brundle-Fly

Just got home from Swindon (without the flu...get well soon Crabwalk)

What can I say? Completely exceeded my expectation. The boys on top form and quite a few moments I had to prevent my contact lenses from popping out with the amount of tears in my eyes.  Big baby.

What a treat to have had this opportunity so late in the day.

Head Gardener

already suitably attired for tomorrow night

Swindon walking tour tomorrow : https://www.facebook.com/events/268249323899706/

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Head Gardener on October 31, 2018, 07:30:01 PM
already suitably attired for tomorrow night

Swindon walking tour tomorrow : https://www.facebook.com/events/268249323899706/

You'll love it, Head. Will be interested in the XTC tour breakdown and whether it swings past an obscure early album track landmark. No spoliers.

Head Gardener

pics from yesterdays great TC&I gig and XTC tour of Swindon

the tour begins

This was a venue called The Affair where the band played in the early days, now a popular drunk magnet

how amazing was it that right opposite was a band related hairdressers! (now closed)

OK it's a Morrisons now but it was once a college where the band met!

ex band guitarist Dave Gregory lived here once, blinds probably now permanently drawn due to XTC fans hanging around outside

this is where the band bought many of their early instruments and records

plenty of axes inside

the shop owner has this skin signed by drummer Terry

the first house on the end was where the band recorded scenes for the video for Love On A Farmboy's Wages

local pub menu, and yes it was delish!

support act George Wilding

a sneakily taken (ie rubbish pic) of the band doing Making Plans For Nigel

how appropriate that we should be behind this car as we left Swindon

daf

Head Gardener

Quote from: daf on November 02, 2018, 02:22:00 PM
Is he related? - Looks like Colin in a wig!

the bloke I went with didn't like him, thought him a posh boy

Crabwalk

What did you think of the show HG?

And can we reveal spoilers now or are some people due to attend the dates later in the month?

Brundle-Fly

Thanks for posting the pics, Head.

Did the tour take in this Swindon nightclub? (Oh we go)

Head Gardener

it was a great show, really - OK I'm slightly biased but even I was welling up when Colin sang Bungalow,
there were so many nice surprises, Wonderland, Day In Day Out, Life Begins At The Hop, Generals & Majors etc
that when he sang a few that Andy would normally do like Statue of Liberty it was forgivable, the crowd utterly lapped it all up.

I have not felt the love & vibes so intensely at a gig since the Kate Bush shows a few years ago, grown men getting hot and flustered (myself included)
by hearing songs that the band never performed live (as they stopped touring in '82 as you know) and the general mingling afterwards when
folks were just so kind and nice to each other as we were all in the same boat! haha, I wore my badges (pictured earlier) and lost count of the
guys (it was 95% guys) coming up to me before and after to shake hands and chat, it was quite emotional. We saw The Meca too of course,
and I took other pics but some places have just gone or are Indian restaurants now...

I also handed out a load of cards plugging an XTC/TC&I mix I am going to be playing live on the show at the end of the month - had to get a plug in of course.

Crabwalk

Quote from: Head Gardener on November 02, 2018, 03:55:57 PM
when he sang a few that Andy would normally do like Statue of Liberty it was forgivable

Hold up, he didn't sing any other Andy tunes last night, did he? It wouldn't have been for being short of material either, as there were quite a few of his well-loved songs that didn't get an airing, despite the mammoth setlist.

Head Gardener

yes you are probably right, it was a huge set list - I was sure there was another though...
did we meet afterwards? and if not WHY NOT?!

Crabwalk

I was there on Monday, not last night. Otherwise would have (had I spotted your badges)!

Head Gardener

daf

Quote from: Crabwalk on November 02, 2018, 04:24:23 PM
there were quite a few of his well-loved songs that didn't get an airing, despite the mammoth setlist.

Any Officer Blue, Find the Fox or Too Many Cooks?

Actually, wasn't The Colonel the original Colin and Terry collaboration?