Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:07:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The "XTC are really really good" thread

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, July 19, 2015, 12:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf

Remember hearing some of these instrumentals on a demo tape compilation, but the full half hour 'Ocean's Daughter' film has been uploaded online - the original tapes were going mouldy & they caught it just in time.

Made in 1983 by a scuba diving dentist Mike Portelly with a soundtrack by Andy - who mentioned that the only person he knew who had a copy of it was Julian Lennon (!)

PaulTMA

Quote from: daf on November 23, 2018, 04:30:57 PM
Remember hearing some of these instrumentals on a demo tape compilation, but the full half hour 'Ocean's Daughter' film has been uploaded online - the original tapes were going mouldy & they caught it just in time.

Made in 1983 by a scuba diving dentist Mike Portelly with a soundtrack by Andy - who mentioned that the only person he knew who had a copy of it was Julian Lennon (!)

The film?  The full cassette tape leaked a few years ago.

daf

PaulTMA

BTW I mean the audio of the cassette.  Do others have it?  Wasn't sure if it got pulled swiftly and I was fortunate to grab it.

daf

That's a real find you've got there I think - I've certainly never seen it before.

Off the top of me nut, the tape I had (amongst misc. demos & b-sides) only contained :
- Ocean's Daughter
- Girl in Watercolours
- Primal Gallery

All very experimental stuff!

- - - - - - - -
edit 1 : Just remembered another - 'Aqua Deum' - which is probably one of those under a different title

edit 2 : I think 'The Familiar' might have been on it too, now that I cast the old bean backwards.

Brundle-Fly

Somnambulistic.

Talking of which, Fred 'Lemon Jelly' Deakin's remix of The Somnambulist is worth a listen. Partridge approved.   

Head Gardener

XTC&I - full show

Spore : Judith Kipper Sings
Sparks : Falling In Love With Myself Again
The Beatles : While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Wings vs. John Lennon : Imagine The Band
Octopus : If You Want To Give Me More
Beach Boys vs. XTC : Satellite Only Knows
Kuno & The Marihuana Brass : Marihuana Mantra
Roxy Music : A Song For Europe
Frank Black : Places Named After Numbers
Eno : The True Wheel
XTC : Radios In Motion
The Sheneral : Making Plans For Nigel
XTC : Runaways
XTC : Life Begins At The Hop
XTC : Ten Feet Tall
XTC : The Scarecrow People
XTC : King For A Day
XTC : Cynical Days
TC&I : Kenny
XTC : War Dance
The Colonel : Too Many Cooks
XTC : Generals & Majors
TC&I : Greatness
XTC : Bungalow
XTC : Day In Day Out
XTC : Wonderland
XTC : Grass
Gorkys Zygotic Mynci : Why Are We Sleeping?
Cate Le Bon : Sisters
Kleenex : Beri Beri – Nice
The Shins : Red Rabbits
Pretty Things : Defecting Grey

listen

Head Gardener

garbed_attic

I had a dream last night that I met all the members of XTC and they were all terrible people apart from Andy and then in the dream I thought I'd better tell you all in this thread - so there we go!

Brundle-Fly

PaulTMA

Just posted on the TC&I FB group.  Was not expecting this:

ANNOUNCEMENT.
There is no easy way to post this other than with a heavy heart. This is from Colin.

"I'd just like to say that I am calling it a day with TC& I and have no plans to do anymore.
And music itself is on the back burner for now, as I wish to spend more time with my family.

I hope people are not too disappointed in me, and I'd just like to thank everyone for the support they have shown Terry and I in these last two years.

And to all who came to the gigs and gave us such a triumphant return — I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

All the best
Colin"

Crabwalk

daf

BALLCOCKS!

(usually wishing to "spend more time with my family" is code that some sort of domestic "hoo-hah" is afoot : Mrs Colin must have finally found his emergency stash of 1970s Razzles behind that loose brick in the cellar!)

Crabwalk

Poor Terry. Learns to play drums again, learns all those songs and then just gets to play a handful of gigs and it's all over.

PaulTMA

I'm sure there's another bloke in Swindon who would very likely wish to work with TC again.

Crabwalk

PaulTMA

Quote from: Crabwalk on January 13, 2019, 08:55:24 PM
TC&A

Won't happen, will it.

Nah, but if AP needs some drumming done for recordings then I do think he'd work with TC again if he could.  Terry getting together with Colin as soon as he returned to Swindon would have put pay to that happening in a hurry.

non capisco

Fuck, kicking myself that I never bothered my arse getting to Swindon now.

I hope he and his family are all alright and it's just that he feels he's done all he set out to do with the project. He was talking about writing more new material in last month's Mojo.

PaulTMA

He also said he was done with music completely about 10 years ago.  Admittedly that may have been no more than a passive-aggressive remark made to Andy in a private email exchange, but he clearly bounced back from that period.

Brundle-Fly

I understand Colin enjoyed the gigs and recording again but found it all a bit stressful. Very sad about this but thank fuck I got to see TC & I perform. Actually turned down a lucrative job that clashed with the gig. My most expensive concert ticket ever ...but it was worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQRp3irI-QA

Crabwalk

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Crabwalk on January 13, 2019, 09:20:56 PM
I'm blaming Jockice's thread for this.

Yeah. I bet Jarvis Cocker has just found a lump too.

Nowhere Man

Fucks sake, I was so hopeful i'd get to see them touring at some point too. Absolutely gutted.

I hope Terry at least does something with Andy or even Dave after this. TA&D?

Avril Lavigne

Was just talking to a fellow XTC fan tonight about my hopes for TC&I's positive reception perhaps leading to a full album of new material or at least more live gigs further afield. A huge shame to hear the comeback is ending so soon. THANKS JOCKICE

Nowhere Man

If we're piling on Jockice now the cunt doesn't even like Curry, or the Young Ones. I bet he'd cancel Curry and kill Ade Edmondson given half the chance!

PaulTMA

Clearly Colin is no mood for such things right now, but I was hoping at the very least for a live album where they pick the best performance of each song from every night of the Swindon shows.

Nowhere Man

I think Andy's being a bit overly prickly here, I saw precisely one comment asking if there was a hope he would to clear some water under the bridge with the ex band members. Plus not entirely fair to say it's all in the past when he's using the XTC name on Twitter and has a 35+ year old profile picture of himself from back in the day!

daf

Don't care if it's called XTC or not, just wish he'd stick out an album of pop songs!

It's been over 18 years since Wasp Star - that's a longer gap than from White Music to Nonsuch!

He did mention he had hundreds of songs recorded since Fuzzy Warbles & all ready to go . . . but this 5.1 reissue project seems to have taken his eye off that particular ball.

Jockice

Thanks for the praise everyone. Anyone's else's career you'd like me to destroy while I'm at it? Bidding starts now...