Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:44:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The "XTC are really really good" thread

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, July 19, 2015, 12:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulTMA

I imagine Andy was absolutely over the moon about that sleeve design

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: PaulTMA on February 08, 2019, 05:19:40 PM
I imagine Andy was absolutely over the moon about that sleeve design

Never thought about that. The most divisive art they could have gone for. Tu dois rire

Jockice

https://disabilitysheffield.org.uk/blog/were-only-making-plans-for-nigel-2019-01-30

Wacky powerpop band eh? I don't know who this Volunteer Placement chap is but he certainly knows his music.

Crabwalk

New message from Colin on Facebook, accompanied by the TC&I symbol:

QuoteNot bowing out - just taking a break

Phew!

PaulTMA

As I hoped, he was merely leaving the bureau for an hour.

The Culture Bunker

I suppose it was a fair bit of hard work, all the rehearsals and then the gigs, for somebody out of the swing of such things for 36 years or so.

Brundle-Fly

Beagle 2

This is a band I remember people being evangelical about on here going back fifteen years, and I always wanted to try and get into them. It never happened, I like the hits but that's all I really know.

I saw that documentary from a couple of years back the other day and it really piqued my interest. They certainly all seem like interesting characters, although Andy Partridge reminded me of Jim Sterling a bit and seemed like a bit of a bell, he's clearly a bit of a genius of a bell and I loved what he said about his attitude to creating music.

Anyway, I started my education today with Drums and Wires, and I'm blown away. I think I'd only tried with Skylarking before as I understood it was supposed to be their finest, but this is much more my bag. I can really see a Devo influence, although maybe that doesn't even check out timing-wise. Complicated Game is the one that's giving me the chills. Anyway, I'm certainly looking forward to immersing myself in them over the coming weeks.

Brundle-Fly

If you like late seventies herky-jerky New Wave, you might want start with White Music and G02 and then, Black Sea.  Although, Black Sea towers (of London) over those first two XTC albums.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Beagle 2 on February 21, 2019, 09:07:54 PM
This is a band I remember people being evangelical about on here going back fifteen years, and I always wanted to try and get into them. It never happened, I like the hits but that's all I really know.

I saw that documentary from a couple of years back the other day and it really piqued my interest. They certainly all seem like interesting characters, although Andy Partridge reminded me of Jim Sterling a bit and seemed like a bit of a bell, he's clearly a bit of a genius of a bell and I loved what he said about his attitude to creating music.

Anyway, I started my education today with Drums and Wires, and I'm blown away. I think I'd only tried with Skylarking before as I understood it was supposed to be their finest, but this is much more my bag. I can really see a Devo influence, although maybe that doesn't even check out timing-wise. Complicated Game is the one that's giving me the chills. Anyway, I'm certainly looking forward to immersing myself in them over the coming weeks.

If you're more into the post-punk/new wave side of things as it sounds, it's totally worth starting from the beginning with White Music and going through each album chronologically from there.  I like Skylarking a lot but as someone more partial to their earlier style (& bands like Devo) I've probably listened to their first 5 albums more than any others though I love them all for different reasons.

Fake Edit: What Brundle-Fly said

Beagle 2

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 21, 2019, 09:27:04 PM
If you like late seventies herky-jerky New Wave

I massively do, so yes, I will! Ta.

Crabwalk

Oh man, you are in for such a treat. By the time you reach Black Sea you'll be in heaven. What I'd give to go on that journey again for the first time.

non capisco

Also listen to this fucking amazing live version of the Go 2 song 'Battery Brides' because it is fucking amazing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc7w4tiIlMs

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: non capisco on February 21, 2019, 10:01:19 PM
Also listen to this fucking amazing live version of the Go 2 song 'Battery Brides' because it is fucking amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc7w4tiIlMs

Probably my most revisited song from Go 2 and I think I've appreciated the live versions more since I read an interview with Andy saying he always prefered it live over the studio recording. I had no idea the long hypnotic thing was the original intention behind the vibe of the track but when I listen to this version it totally makes sense.

non capisco

I flip between that live version of 'Battery Brides' and 'Seagulls Screaming Kiss Her, Kiss Her' as my absolute favourite XTC thing. Occasionally it's 'Travels In Nihilon'. Recently I've been absolutely caning 'River Of Orchids'. Jeez-fuckin'-oh I adore that band.

Welcome aboard the big express, Beagle 2.

Nowhere Man

A bit giddy these last 10 minutes since I just saw that Colin responded to one of my comments on the TC&I Facebook group:

Me: Andy has talked about a 'bubblegum pop' album he wanted Virgin to release in the early 90s, do you think we'll ever be able to hear a reconstructed version of that, or any other 'lost material' that wasn't released at the time?

Colin: I don't think it would strike the chord that the Dukes did--and by that time the reconstruction of eras was a done thing.---it was an idea which didn't get off the ground so not much survives--c

daf

As I understand it each song was going to be by a different group - as a sampler from on the (fictional) 'Zither' Label.

Here are some of the band names they were going to use :

The Lemon Dukes
Knights in Shining Karma
The Captain Cooks
Sopwith Caramel
The Ten Commandos
The Twelve Flavours of Hercules
Solid Gondolas
The Barbers of Penzance
Anonymous Bosch
The Brighton Peers
The Tweedledeens
The Herbert Fountains
Irving Merlin
The Lollipopes
The Four Posters
The Periwig Pack
Cake's Progress
Jellyache
Funnel Of Love
The Rubber Ducks
Ancient Grease
The Piccadilly Circus Tent Rip Repair Company
Kitchener's Sink
Isambard Kingdom Necessary On A Bicycle?

. . . which would have been paired up with a song each - 10 of those 12 being :

Lolly Let's Suck It And See
My Red Aeroplane
Cherry in Your Tree
Candy Mine
Jelly Baby
Standing In For Joe
I'm The Kaiser
Visit to the Doctor
Cave Girl
All Aboard for Bubble Land

- - - -

Though not part of the original album, the couple of later stray Dukes songs that emerged in the 2000's seem to be running on the fumes of the abandoned project :
Open a Can of Human Beans
Tin Toy Clockwork Train
Black Jewelled Serpent of Sound

Head Gardener

The Culture Bunker

Bently Sheds

Man, I love me some XTC, but when Andy starts wibbling on about UFOs and government conspiracies on Twitter it makes me feel really sad.

wosl

This'll please him, but Partridge is a fair bit older than I'd imagined.  Had him pegged as being just a little older than the likes of Robert Smith and Ian McCulloch, but he'll be sixty-six this year.  That makes him two or three years older than the Pistols, only three years younger than Alex Chilton and Danny Kirwan, and just four younger than Lindsey Buckingham.  He's looking good on it.

daf

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Partridge has deleted/hidden his twitter account after accusations of antisemitism...

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on May 17, 2019, 05:01:55 PM
Partridge has deleted/hidden his twitter account after accusations of antisemitism...

Andy Partridge is married to a Jewish lady.... He has recently been criticising Israeli behaviour towards Palestine.

iamcoop

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on May 17, 2019, 05:07:35 PM
Andy Partridge is married to a Jewish lady.... He has recently been criticising Israeli behaviour towards Palestine.

I think the majority of the flak has come from an extremely misjudged tweet of his saying some questionable things about the holocaust.

I hope he's ok, he mentioned something in a tweet a few days ago about being in a tough place mentally at the moment, and he seems to have somewhat gone through the looking glass in the last few days.

Bobby Gillespie is also taking flak right now for criticising Israel in a Newsnight interview.

Brundle-Fly

Twittermob must be fuming that they can't get him the sack anywhere. What can they do to destroy him? Petition BBC 6Music not to play Making Plans For Nigel once a week ever again? A song he didn't even write.  So many people have made the lame ' Ho ho..is he 'Making Plans For Nigel FARAGE?' quip too, which doesn't work as a joke on two levels.  And there is always the smug, "Never liked them at the time, I feel vindicated,' parade of vultures chipping in. It's the glee about this hashtag cancelling that makes the soul curdle.

This is all a total mess and regrettably, he's made it for himself. Gutted to be honest.  AP's clearly in a very dark place at the moment and certainly didn't articulate his views properly, but now he's regarded as a vile bigot, a man who has publically decried racism time and time again in his music.

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 18, 2019, 12:43:55 PM
Twittermob must be fuming that they can't get him the sack anywhere. What can they do to destroy him? Petition BBC 6Music not to play Making Plans For Nigel once a week ever again? A song he didn't even write.  So many people have made the lame ' Ho ho..is he 'Making Plans For Nigel FARAGE?' quip too, which doesn't work as a joke on two levels.  And there is always the smug, "Never liked them at the time, I feel vindicated,' parade of vultures chipping in. It's the glee about this hashtag cancelling that makes the soul curdle.

This is all a total mess and regrettably, he's made it for himself. Gutted to be honest.  AP's clearly in a very dark place at the moment and certainly didn't articulate his views properly, but now he's regarded as a vile bigot, a man who has publically decried racism time and time again in his music.

Fuck them!

No Thugs In Our House is one of the most articulate statements against racism and violent neo-Nazi actions in pop music.