Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:16:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The "XTC are really really good" thread

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, July 19, 2015, 12:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: wosl on July 29, 2020, 07:52:11 PM
Partridge's should've responded by firing back a burst of Singring And The Glass Guitar ("Day of infamy, someone's captured Singring!/Day of tragedy, someone's captured Singring!"), or perhaps just by reminding Todd that he was responsible for once writing a song with that title.
He'd have pissed off Dave Gregory too though! DG calls Singring "a great, great little concept piece" (and The Ikon "has never been recognized as the genius work that it is") in this interview https://www.blogtalkradio.com/runt/2008/03/09/rundgren-radio about 39 minutes in.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Anyone end up sending in a cover for that online convention?
Bashed one out this afternoon (THEN THE TUNE) since today was the deadline, god knows if it'll get an airing though

PlanktonSideburns

Ah fuck I had one but forgot to send it

Rich Uncle Skeleton

episode of What Do You Call That Noise? with Dave Gregory and Hugh Padgham talking about Black Sea for its 40th anniversary.

Padgham calls 5.1 mixes (in general) wanking off, I've no opinion either way as I haven't the equipment to play them, anyone here given them a listen?

Must be handy for ripping if you want to try and get some possibly separated instruments/vocals at least.

daf

Ooh, ta for that - I had no idea there was an XTC podcast!

DrGreggles

Andy has been on a couple of them and was obviously good value.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: daf on September 17, 2020, 11:16:22 PM
Ooh, ta for that - I had no idea there was an XTC podcast!

even better than that!

QuoteI'm delighted that my guests on tomorrow's live version of What Do You Call That Noise? The XTC Podcast are comedians Stewart Lee, Joanna Neary, Paul Putner, Kevin Eldon and writer Andy Miller. To watch it, you have to have joined the XTC Convention Facebook group by midnight tonight: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2657989814274246/

should be good! like it says there anyone wanting to check out the convention tomorrow needs to join the facebook group by midnight but I'm sure it'll all end up available not long after?? Fingers crossed my minute long instrumental of vanishing girl makes the cut during the day.

daf

Ah, balls! I'm not on facebook - but hopefully that'll end up as a podcast or something.

DrGreggles

I sure someone will work out how to download the video.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

daf

Ah, bless you mate!

Early Andy wearing Steve Harley's head there

Phwoaar - Tremendous pair of knockers on that bloke in Andy's old house!

Podcast is on!

Simon Quinlank & The Curious Orange [Sqquoooaaarkkk!!!!] back together again!

"England's Glory . . . a Striking Beauty!" (niche matchbox pun!) 

Kula Shaker Greenman remix

daf

PaulTMA

That Desert Island cover was easily the best thing to happen this year

daf

Wasn't it great - They should definitely get them on as a regular turn with full set next time.

That bloke (Larry Something?) doing Knights in Shining Karma also impressed - those chords looked hard as nails!

PaulTMA

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on September 17, 2020, 10:19:22 PM
episode of What Do You Call That Noise? with Dave Gregory and Hugh Padgham talking about Black Sea for its 40th anniversary.

Padgham calls 5.1 mixes (in general) wanking off, I've no opinion either way as I haven't the equipment to play them, anyone here given them a listen?

Must be handy for ripping if you want to try and get some possibly separated instruments/vocals at least.

The Dukes of Stratosphear 5.1 is ace. I struggle with XTC, but I like The Dukes, and the surround mix is fab.

crankshaft

The XTC 5.1 mixes are uniformly excellent and Hugh Padgham is talking out of his arse.

DrGreggles

I'm guessing that some of the original producers take the whole process personally.

PaulTMA

The amount of time spent during the Black Sea episode asking the guests if Dave and then the producers deserved songwriting credit was lasted a small eternity and was frankly kinda weird.  Good otherwise, though

crankshaft

Quote from: PaulTMA on September 24, 2020, 12:04:22 PM
The amount of time spent during the Black Sea episode asking the guests if Dave and then the producers deserved songwriting credit was lasted a small eternity and was frankly kinda weird.  Good otherwise, though

He didn't get songwriting credit but both Andy and Colin gave him 10% of their publishing income to acknowledge his role in arranging the songs.

PaulTMA

Quote from: crankshaft on September 24, 2020, 12:58:58 PM
He didn't get songwriting credit but both Andy and Colin gave him 10% of their publishing income to acknowledge his role in arranging the songs.

Yup, that bit of the podcast was torturous though

daf

Sea of Tranquility : Ranking the Studio Albums: XTC

Hour long video chat between Pete Pardo & Martin Popoff (Martin's a longtime fan from Canada and, Pete's mainly into prog and metal).

Head Gardener

happy birthday to Andy Partridge, 67 today

Crabwalk

Quote from: daf on November 09, 2020, 08:09:51 PM
Sea of Tranquility : Ranking the Studio Albums: XTC

Hour long video chat between Pete Pardo & Martin Popoff (Martin's a longtime fan from Canada and, Pete's mainly into prog and metal).

This type of affable muso always seems to compare XTC to The Police, Queen and/or Yes.

I do not trust these people.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Crabwalk on November 11, 2020, 09:36:53 AM
This type of affable muso always seems to compare XTC to ... Queen

That type of affable muso can cunt right off.

Crabwalk

Those comparisons always make me flinch, but ultimately I think Colin and Dave are that type of affable muso themselves and that's an important ingredient in the band.

But Andy's injection of neuroses, absurdity and unfettered imagination is what elevates them into the artistic stratosphear (arf) for me.

It's the alchemic combination of the conventional and unconventional that makes their records so diverse and appealing to different types of music fan.

PlanktonSideburns

yea i think XTC chuck so many influences into their work, and make new things from them, - meaning that any comparison to any of the many ingredients dosent hold up

Brundle-Fly

The daftest comparison I've ever heard was Apple Venus getting criticised in some album review for sounding like Enya

PaulTMA

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 11, 2020, 11:07:12 AM
The daftest comparison I've ever heard was Apple Venus getting criticised in some album review for sounding like Enya

I think that in 1999 is was a strangely ballsy move to have song titles like 'Rivers Of Orchids' for that very reason

Rich Uncle Skeleton

talking of which

Quote2021 News: Restoration of multi track tapes is underway for the XTC album APPLE VENUS (vol 1). As soon as the cleaning & rebuild finishes, the man with the expert touch, Steven Wilson, will be making a 5.1 & new stereo mix. Another great quality APE release to look forward to Full moon with face