Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:05:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The "XTC are really really good" thread

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, July 19, 2015, 12:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artie Fufkin

^coooooooool^

EDIT : Well, that doesn't work TOTP, does it?

DrGreggles

Brundle-Fly

DrGreggles

daf

Good idea to pop a video out - as that seems to be the main way stuff gets heard these days.

Also nice to see the comments section turned on for a change - all lovely stuff of course!

Brundle-Fly

It's pleasant enough but is a little bit too close to 'Say It' for my liking, which is compounded by the fact he's added the demo of Say It on the 'EP'. I'm hoping he's going to go occasionally up-tempo in the future. I'm not expecting any New Wave/ Life Begins At The Hop stylings but something less doleful. Colin must have another Smokeless Zone in him or an English Roundabout? I know he can still rock out by the TC & I gig I attended a few years ago.

daf

Yes, it's a step backwards from TC&I - which was his best stuff since Skylarking I thought.

Knowing how slow he works, this might be an old song from the Frivolous Tonight / In Another Life period - certainly sounds like it!

Crabwalk

The (programmed) drum sounds are quite poor and don't help. If only he had a crack drummer on his doorstep...

Bently Sheds

Got the new Andy disc today. Can't work out who the songs were meant to be written for. Good stuff, but may take a couple of spins for them to sink their hooks in...

daf

I went for the Vinyl and CD bundle, but as the vinyl has been delayed, so has the CD.

daf

Podcast interview about the new EP :

XTC's Andy Partridge on My Failed Songwriting Career

Sounds like there's plenty more coming, including a Christmas-themed release.

Head Gardener

Brundle-Fly

Who saw that coming? We live in strange times.

The Culture Bunker

Is it sales figures in the triple figures to get in that particular chart?

I'm more surprised any of Ed Sheeran's fanbase is buying CDs/vinyl 45s.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

EXTC started playing live again last night, might try and give their next swindon gig a go before they start adding the previously threatened new material into the set. They should see if Partridge has anything lying around.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

https://youtu.be/YomEzb5otPY

Really like this cover of Another Satellite from Skylarking (already one of my favourite XTC songs)

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on October 09, 2021, 11:10:59 PM
https://youtu.be/YomEzb5otPY

Really like this cover of Another Satellite from Skylarking (already one of my favourite XTC songs)
Love that version! She has a great voice/accent. Love the was she sings "atmosphere "

Rich Uncle Skeleton

David Gregory and Hugh Padgham discussing English Settlement for it's 40th anniversary on the latest episode of What Do You Call That Noise?

Nothing earth shattering but a pretty fun listen. Always lovely to hear David Gregory talk about XTC, especially since he apparently kept quite detailed notes/diaries back in the day and has plenty to say. Surprised to hear him call Down In The Cockpit his least favourite track on the album, though suggesting he'd have replaced it with the bloody brilliant Tissue Tigers sort of makes up for it.

The usual moan from me, no mention of whether the multitracks have surfaced! But the podcast's made me want to finally unwrap the LP reissue I got a few months ago and give it a spin.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Currently listening to the dub album Mr Partridge made out of a load of tracks from Go 2. It's pretty far out

Edit: just realised there's another whole one of these from the Black Sea era! Will have to check that out

Brundle-Fly

If you mean Lure Of Salvage/ Take Away (1980) album, that actually predates Black Sea. Unless, you know different and a Black Sea cut up album by Mr Partridge exists then I will be all over that like shingles.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 07, 2022, 11:58:34 AMIf you mean Lure Of Salvage/ Take Away (1980) album, that actually predates Black Sea. Unless, you know different and a Black Sea cut up album by Mr Partridge exists then I will be all over that like shingles.

Nah that's the one. Sorry for getting your hopes up!

Brundle-Fly

billyandthecloneasaurus

Listened to Apple Venus volume 1 on a friend's recommendation and thought it was a right load of bollocks to be honest. I love senses working overtime and some other tracks but fucking hell the lyrics on this album are some of the most annoying pseudy bollocks I've ever heard.

billyandthecloneasaurus

A nasally voiced nerd doing bad Paul McCartney pastiches with sixth form poetry lyrics over them.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: billyandthecloneasaurus on February 07, 2022, 05:59:37 PMListened to Apple Venus volume 1 on a friend's recommendation and thought it was a right load of bollocks to be honest. I love senses working overtime and some other tracks but fucking hell the lyrics on this album are some of the most annoying pseudy bollocks I've ever heard.

Partridge at his lyrical worst can be horribly clunky and adolescent, but at his best he can be fantastic. AV1 wouldn't be my first recommendation for anyone who wants to get into the late period pop stuff, but there's some great stuff on there - River of Orchids, Easter Theatre and I Can't Own Her are up there with some of their best songs imo

Skylarking is easily the best of that period of XTC, but having said that, if you hate pseudy sixth form lyrics then Dear God will probably make you want to smash the fuck out of your laptop/whatever you listen to things on.

Brundle-Fly

billyandthecloneasaurus