Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,206
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:27:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Madness are really really good thread

Started by Jockice, July 21, 2015, 09:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

I've just been negged for saying Madness are one of the greatest bands ever. But I think they are. So there. It wasn't all just 'nutty' dancing and perceived yobbishess. Not many acts could write stuff like My Girl (only their third single), Our House, One Better Day, Wings Of A Dove and Yesterday's Men. The stuff they've done since reforming is rather fine too.

I have no shame in saying that in my mind they're definitely one of the ten best British pop acts of all time and anyone who doesn't like them should be treated with the utmost suspicion. Anyone prepared to argue?

Jockice

Does he now? First I've heard of that one. But geniuses often clash.

holyzombiejesus

There was an interview he did with Liz Kershaw around the time of the first Denim LP and he stated that Madness were the worst thing about the 80s.

I used to love them; first (and 2nd) band I ever saw. They were the perfect band to like as a kid and I have loads of little memories, stuff like getting all excited when House of Fun got to number 1 and running back to school to tell everyone, and drawing that 'M' logo on me blue canvas rucksack. I tried listening to Rise and Fall a couple of years back, due to a thread on here I think, and it sounded awful.

Jockice

Oh well. Can't win em all. I was never a Madness fanatic as a kid. I was just in my teens when they arrived and I bought the first three singles then nothing else by them until (I think) the Mad Not Mad album. I never saw them live until about five years ago. But they were hard to avoid (especially since one of my mates was a fanatic) and it wasn't until they'd split up that I realised just how good they were, buying first the greatest hits albums and then delving more into their back catalogue. I quite like Rise and Fall but think the one after that, Keep Moving is their masterpiece.

The only person I've ever met who hated Madness was a music journalist who seemed to like every other band and musician ever. Apart from Morrissey, who he also hated. Bet he'd have loved that notorious Finsbury Park concert. But even he warmed to them slightly after seeing them live a few years ago.

phantom_power

Madness were indeed amazing. Any band that can go from the silliness of House of Fun to the empathy and melancholy of Yesterday's Men to the joyous abandon of The Sun and The Rain must be pretty special, even more so that they could combine them with stuff like Embarrassment and One Better Day

I have never really explored their albums but they have released enough great singles to be seen as true greats

Nowhere Man

One that I think is quite underrated is 'Waiting for the Ghost Train'. I love the sound on that one, I guess by 1986 interest in Madness had packed up quite a bit. I'm glad they've had such a great comeback since Lovestruck though. 'Liberty of Norton Folgate' is their best album since 1982's 'Rise & Fall in my opinion.

The magic is mainly in the singles though. Plus the fact that they seem like a great bunch of lads, and they've all stuck together for the most part! (How many bands that have been around since the late 70's can you say that for eh?)

Serge

I fucking love Madness. I started a thread about them myself many years ago. I remember one of their early singles appearing on Top Of The Pops and my dad saying something about them being the band with the guy who was running onstage (he meant Chas's nutty dance moves, I guess) and from then on I was a fan. Of course, it also helped that within a year or so they'd released 'Baggy Trousers', which appealed to the nine year old Serge by being a.) a song about school and b.) a song with a video with a flying sax player in it. Nothing that's been achieved with special effects since has ever thrilled me like that did.

They were the first band I deliberately collected albums by (and I still have them all, the earliest I owned, and the starting point of my current record collection, 'Complete Madness'.) They didn't put a foot wrong with any of their singles over a seven year run[nb]Alright, I might let you have 'Driving In My Car' and 'Sweetest Girl'.[/nb] and a lot of their album tracks still stand up ('When Dawn Arrives' from '7' for instance, or 'Victoria Gardens' - the single that never was - from 'Keep Moving'.) 'The Sun And The Rain' is probably my favourite single of theirs, but 'Shut Up', 'House Of Fun' and 'Embarrassment' aren't far behind.

And their videos! Fuck me, still great today. Julian Cope talked about being addicted to watching and rewatching the 'Complete Madness' video in the early eighties because of the sheer joy he got from watching them piss about. I've mentioned on here before that I love the fact that 'Night Boat To Cairo' has a budget of about £10 but is ridiculously entertaining.

I was genuinely upset when Barson left in 1983, and to be sure, the post-'Keep Moving' Madness of the eighties isn't quite as good as the earlier years. But they managed to get it together again to make the terrific 'Liberty Of Norton Folgate' album a few years back, and may still surprise us yet with a few more classics.

They're great, and Lawrence can fuck right off, the talentless stupid cunt.

Nowhere Man

At the moment I think the mid-period of Madness is probably my favourite. You can't beat 'Our House', 'Tomorrow's (Just Another Day)' and 'The Sun and The Rain' plus the 'Rise & Fall' album

Jockice

Why can't she see? She's lovely to me. But I like to stay in and watch tv on my own every now and then.

One of the finest, most poetic lines about a relationship ever. I love the melancholy madness stuff even more than I love the bouncer uptempo bits.

phantom_power

I would be deeply suspicion about anyone who dislikes Madness. I could just about accept someone not being that bothered about them but to actively dislike them seems just too rum for words

justin_bennett

From post-peak Madness I fucking LOVE One Better Day, and the video's a great poignant look at homelessness.  Would love them to play this or Yesterday's Men live these days but don't imagine it'll happen anytime soon.

Jockice

Quote from: justin_bennett on July 22, 2015, 09:54:39 AM
From post-peak Madness I fucking LOVE One Better Day, and the video's a great poignant look at homelessness.  Would love them to play this or Yesterday's Men live these days but don't imagine it'll happen anytime soon.

The feeling of arriving when you've nothing left to lose.

Another line by them that can reduce me to tears, They were brilliant at that.

ollyboro

Their reputation as "serious" musicians was definitely undermined by their clowning around image. But if you really listen to what they're doing....superb discordant piano fills, odd little time signatures thrown in and as alluded to previously, acutely observed vignettes on everyday life. They have a Blockhead approach to their music; at times it appears they're all plinking and parping away on different songs, but somehow it all comes together.

It wasn't me either, I'm just his mate
He told me to stand here and watch the gate
I've gota wife and 3 kids you know
They'll tell you I'm straight
At least I think so

Jockice

'Teacher comes to break it up. Back of the head with a plastic cup.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: ollyboro on July 22, 2015, 10:30:23 AM
Their reputation as "serious" musicians was definitely undermined by their clowning around image. But if you really listen to what they're doing....superb discordant piano fills, odd little time signatures thrown in and as alluded to previously, acutely observed vignettes on everyday life. They have a Blockhead approach to their music; at times it appears they're all plinking and parping away on different songs, but somehow it all comes together.

Another great British band. Referring back to the XTC thread, Partridge once said 'Madness were like a ska version of Yes, so much going on musically' (although I remember a 1980s Smash Hits interview where AP said he didn't like what they did to It Must Be Love but at least they'd made it their own)

I grew up with this band from '79 onwards and have stuck with them through thick and thin. I'm glad they've finally been given the respect they deserve but I still can't help feeling there is a resistance for the band ever to be taken seriously.

I work a lot from home and regularly listen to 6Music throughout the afternoon but I could count on one hand how many times I've heard a Madness number played during Radcliffe & Maconie or Lamacq's show. It's alright for them to spin A Message To You Rudy, Teenage Kicks, Rock The Casbah, Ever Fallen In Love With Someone, Sgt. Rock , Pump It Up for the umpteenth time but squat from The Nutty Boys.

They might argue that Madness are deemed as 'too silly' and 'for kids' to their middle aged, middle class listeners but they're no less silly or child friendly than The Beatles ever were.
Too 'Radio 2' ? Naa, I bet they don't even play any.
Over familiarity? Piss off, I hear My Perfect Cousin almost every bloody day on that station.
Too 'cheeky chirpy'? Oh, is that Parklife again?

I suppose they're just filed alongside Slade in a dusty far 'much loved but never cool' corner of the room.

God, I sound like [banned troll] banging on about The Goodies.

Uncle TechTip

I'm glad people keep referring to The Sun And The Rain, after more than 25 years of fandom and a youth spent expanding my brothers' hand-me-down Madness vinyl collection, it's the one track I keep returning to. They must be one of the few bands who added a string section and sounded better - both this and Our House I find to be my favourite works. Both with large string backing by David Bedford. There's the stretch mix of Our House where you can hear the "I remember way back then when everything was true and when" bridge section without vocals and it's just divine to hear those violins.

Jockice

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on July 22, 2015, 11:06:57 AM
I'm glad people keep referring to The Sun And The Rain, after more than 25 years of fandom and a youth spent expanding my brothers' hand-me-down Madness vinyl collection.

I nicked that single from Five Live broadcaster Tony Livesey when we shared a house at journalism college. Needless to say, he had the last laugh.

CaledonianGonzo

Must express a minor fondness for one of their comeback singles Lovestruck, which manages the near impossible as being of almost the same standard as their vintage form.

Though I saw them live at Xmas and they really missed Chas Smash.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on July 22, 2015, 11:14:56 AM
Must express a minor fondness for one of their comeback singles Lovestruck, which manages the near impossible as being of almost the same standard as their vintage form.

Though I saw them live at Xmas and they really missed Chas Smash.

Doesn't Chrissy Boy do the Hey You.... bit now?

Chas? He'll be back at some point. They have a rolling staff. Since they reformed in 1992, nearly every member has left the band for a bit and returned.

daf

Quote from: Jockice on July 22, 2015, 11:13:53 AM
Five Live broadcaster Tony Livesey

He'll always be Sunday Sport to me - you can't scrub away the inky whiff of newsprint boobs that easily.

Petey Pate

I didn't know until fairly recently that One Step Beyond is a cover of a Prince Buster tune.  Likewise Madness (the song, not the band).

https://youtu.be/D3DAHAPLaVI

Camp Tramp

Grey Day is a fantastic sombre sounding tune, the video didn't match the image I had in my head of it.

They were good at covers too, their version of "The Sweetest Girl" by Scritti Politti was better than the original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DduE7ZtxPrs

daf

They certainly had impeccable taste.

I think the perfect version for me would be the Madness backing with Green singing - his voice makes my eyes go all squiggly!

greenman

Nothing wrong with the "nutty" material being their main legacy, not like its easier to write stuff that catchy AND not come across as insufferably smug.

To reverse One Step Beyond I always assumed that Night Boat to Cairo was a cover until a few years ago when I bothered to check that it was actually written by them.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I don't find them annoying, or shit, or anything negative actually. I also recognise they were fine musicians and wrote a mixture of good pop tunes and witty lyrics as well as being good fun. I've never ever heard a Madness tune and thought 'oh hell not that again'.

But they fall under "wouldn't proactively listen to". I wouldn't really listen unless I happened to be in a room when they were on.

Brundle-Fly

The best kept secret in Madness is the brilliance of Lee 'Kix' Thompson. The true nutty boy.
He co-wrote their debut single The Prince for a start yet it was his lyrics that always gave an edge to the band. 

Here are five El Thommo classics:

Embarrassment dealt with the racism Lee had to face from his family because he had a black girlfriend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpN_TOP9hg8

Land Of Hope And Glory was about his term at borstal. Scum-Tone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1eSKQBdbm4

Razor Blade Alley discusses casual sex, VD and pissing problems.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIK1qlJBZeU

One's Second Thoughtlessness  when accidentally burgling a mate's parent's home.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfdlkoOspHY

Bingo  Now, Lee's in his fifties and not such a tough guy. Got beaten up by youths in Camden Town and woke up outside the bingo hall off Parkway nr Arlington House.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljgQtpCmRGI

Dink Dank Donk.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 23, 2015, 09:48:16 PM
I don't find them annoying, or shit, or anything negative actually. I also recognise they were fine musicians and wrote a mixture of good pop tunes and witty lyrics as well as being good fun. I've never ever heard a Madness tune and thought 'oh hell not that again'.

But they fall under "wouldn't proactively listen to". I wouldn't really listen unless I happened to be in a room when they were on.

Maybe it's because they are completely defined by their singles chart success? Those songs have almost become like Christmas carols to me: only enjoyable for a short time, once a year.

Actually, if you're a nerdy Madness fan, the live gigs tend to be a bit predictable because they have to squeeze in around twenty hit singles for the casual fans, leaving little room for album tracks or new stuff.  Apparently, their House Of Fun Weekender shows actually remedy this by playing a special set to the hardcore bunch on the Friday night and then do the Best Of... on the Saturday night.

How many bands would covet that luxury?

Serge

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 23, 2015, 10:27:27 PMEmbarrassment dealt with the racism Lee had to face from his family because he had a black girlfriend

Nearly - it was his sister who had a black boyfriend and was expecting his baby, and the racism was directed towards her/her unborn offspring.

phantom_power

Quote from: ollyboro on July 22, 2015, 10:30:23 AM

It wasn't me either, I'm just his mate
He told me to stand here and watch the gate
I've gota wife and 3 kids you know
They'll tell you I'm straight
At least I think so

THe killer line is the one that follows:
"I'm as honest as the day is long, the longer the daylight the less I do wrong".

So clever and witty