Author Topic: Batman (comics) questions/discussion  (Read 7109 times)

Re: Batman (comics) questions/discussion
« Reply #150 on: January 02, 2019, 11:43:51 AM »
Does anyone know which volumes I need to buy to get the whole of Dark Nights: Metal including relevant tie ins?

« Reply #151 on: January 02, 2019, 09:23:19 PM »
In terms of collected editions:

Dark Days The Road To Metal is the stuff serving as a prologue to the main story playing out in Dark Nights: Metal.

There was a tie-in story running across various titles called Dark Nights Metal: The Resistance which essentially takes place around the same time as the main story.

The One Shots (i.e. the origins for each of the "dark" versions of Batman and a one-shot by Grant Morrison) are in a book called Metal: Dark Knights Rising.

I had to look up the names of these titles, as I actually read it all as it was ongoing. I was well into Scott Snyder and Gregg Capullo's New 52 Batman stuff, so I was already on board for it.

« Reply #152 on: January 05, 2019, 01:25:06 PM »
Cheers. I love Snyder/Capullo's run too, hence my interest. I might ignore Road To as it seems to be stuff I've already read. I actually picked up the last three volumes of Snyder's run recently, looking forward to reading them.

The Roofdog

• you look and are as fat as meat ball
« Reply #153 on: January 05, 2019, 02:06:33 PM »
I'd be interested in what you think of the end of that run. It's so different in tone from the Court of Owls stuff that kicked it off, I struggled with it TBH.

Mister Six

• Half-masted, bass-boosted, sling-backed
« Reply #154 on: January 05, 2019, 07:22:06 PM »
Similarly, I want to read Grant Morrison's Batman stories (including Batman, Inc and Death of Bruce Wayne) from beginning to end. Any idea what the trades I should be looking for are, in order?

« Reply #155 on: January 05, 2019, 08:22:07 PM »
Yes.

First off, are you reading paper or digital?

Second, you want fancy, lovely, heavy editions, or cheapest possible option?

I got answers for all options.

Kelvin

• The best bits of a pantomime horse
  • Silver Member
  • With skin the colour of a freshly peeled apple
« Reply #156 on: January 05, 2019, 08:35:09 PM »
Funnily enough, I think Morrison and Snyder's wonderful runs both have the same problem with how they finish; far, far too many points where you think they're about to resolve, but then don't. They should both have been shortened by at least 3-4 issues off the end of their final arcs.

Similarly, I want to read Grant Morrison's Batman stories (including Batman, Inc and Death of Bruce Wayne) from beginning to end. Any idea what the trades I should be looking for are, in order?

Yes. Although it's confusing, because some of the stories in the middle overlap, and the Return of Bruce Wayne story basically leads into the third Batman and Robin trade.

The order is...

*Goes away to photograph his trades, as a reference*

Batman and Son
Batman RIP
The "Final Crisis" event (which is mostly awful, but features a major event that shapes the Batman series moving forward. If you want to skip it, I'll tell you the cliff notes)
Batman: Time and the Batman (which is basically a story flashing through everything in his run up until this point, and can easily be skipped, but might be preferable to reading Final Crisis)
Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn
Batman and Robin: Batman vs Robin
The Return of Bruce Wayne
Batman and Robin: Batman and Robin Must Die
Batman Incorporated
At this point, DC rebooted with the New 52, so the continuity moving forward is slightly different, but mostly unaffected for Morrison's run, which effectively carries on in it's own little bubble
Batman Incorporated: Demon Star
Batman Incorporated: Gotham's Most Wanted

Two additional notes: There's a series of books (Battle For The Cowl) set between Final Crisis and Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn where the heroes fight over who will take over from Batman while he's away, but it's not written by Morrison, and, outside of who eventually becomes Batman, doesn't lead into anything Morrison went on to write, apparently. I never read it, though.

Secondly, if you're going to read this entire run, make sure you read the trade of Scott Snyder's "The Black Mirror", which is absolutely superb, maybe his best work, and set during the Batman and Robin period, from the POV of Dick Grayson. Probably fits best between Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn and Batman and Robin: Batman vs Robin. A very, very strong recommendation, and frankly better than anything Morrison wrote in his run after Batman and Robin.

The Roofdog

• you look and are as fat as meat ball
« Reply #157 on: January 06, 2019, 08:24:05 AM »
Yeah Black Mirror (not that one) is great. I agree with you about Morrison's run too, he should've wrapped it up in time for the New 52.

Phil_A

• HE WAS AN ROBOT
    • Chasing The Bumblebee
« Reply #158 on: January 06, 2019, 12:22:31 PM »
There's also The Black Casebook collection, which is a compilation of all the Silver Age stories that directly link to Batman RIP.  A useful primer for some of the weirder references.

Mister Six

« Reply #159 on: January 06, 2019, 02:57:27 PM »
Thanks all. I'll get these ordered at the local library.

Kelvin

• Silver Member
« Reply #160 on: January 06, 2019, 03:43:27 PM »
Are you going to read Final Crisis?

Mister Six

« Reply #161 on: January 06, 2019, 03:51:17 PM »
Already re-read it in August and loved it even more the second time around.

Kelvin

• Silver Member
« Reply #162 on: January 06, 2019, 03:55:55 PM »
Already re-read it in August and loved it even more the second time around.

Wow, fair enough. I'm actually wondering if I've misremembered my experience of it. I certainly found it disjointed (which was the intent, in fairness), but I'm not sure if I actively disliked it or not. I certainly thought the ending was rushed. Maybe I should reread it to refresh my memory.

Mister Six

« Reply #163 on: January 06, 2019, 04:02:37 PM »
The last chapter is deliberately disjointed, but it worked for me. I'm a sucker for a lot of Morrison's stuff, though, especially the meta business involving the creation of the Monitors/DC universe.

Kelvin

• Silver Member
« Reply #164 on: January 06, 2019, 04:09:49 PM »
His run on Batman is great, precisely for that reason. Have you read his Justice League stuff? It's very superficial, but just overflowing with cool ideas. I've said it before on here, but he really reminds me of Steven Moffat in that and several other ways.

Mister Six

« Reply #165 on: January 06, 2019, 04:17:52 PM »
Read his JLA stuff back in the day. Haven't revisited it since, but I recall it being good but marred by lots of annoying editorial-mandated DC crossovers.

Kelvin

• Silver Member
« Reply #166 on: January 06, 2019, 04:19:45 PM »
Read his JLA stuff back in the day. Haven't revisited it since, but I recall it being good but marred by lots of annoying editorial-mandated DC crossovers.

I don't remember lots of crossovers, but the stuff with Superman becoming a blue, even more powerful version of himself is a bit crap.

Dannyhood91

• I thought you said KING AAARTHUUUR!
« Reply #167 on: January 07, 2019, 10:03:31 AM »
Has The Long Halloween and it’s sequel book, Dark Victory been mentioned? They’re great detective stories with a lot of atmosphere and intrigue. 

Glebe

• So here we are, then.
« Reply #168 on: January 07, 2019, 03:38:41 PM »
Has The Long Halloween and it’s sequel book, Dark Victory been mentioned? They’re great detective stories with a lot of atmosphere and intrigue.

Dark Victory's on my must-have list, though I've not picked it up yet.

Phil_A

• HE WAS AN ROBOT
    • Chasing The Bumblebee
« Reply #169 on: January 07, 2019, 05:46:47 PM »

They do unfortunately suffer from the common Jeph Loeb problem of not being wrap up a long ongoing story in a coherent way ever. See also: Hush.

Mister Six

« Reply #170 on: January 07, 2019, 07:22:26 PM »
I don't remember lots of crossovers, but the stuff with Superman becoming a blue, even more powerful version of himself is a bit crap.

That's what I meant, really. Not so much crossovers themselves but the fallout from them. Characters suddenly being dead or missing between arcs or even issues because of some shit, long-forgotten story hacked out to meet editor-mandated plot points.