Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:07:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Batman (comics) questions/discussion

Started by madhair60, July 22, 2015, 10:04:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

This is a big thread, and I can't be arsed reading it, but I assume someone's mentioned Frank Miller's stuff. The Dark Knight Returns and Batman Year One are fucking marvellous.
Apart from that, I enjoyed The Long Halloween and Knightfall.

madhair60

I just read No Justice and while I enjoyed it overall, christ, big team-up books are tiresome. Cramming the modicum of backstory into every utterance, no room to breathe whatsoever. Introduces a giant multiverse-murdering threat and does away with it in four issues. Leads into Snyder's Justice League, which I have the first volume of but haven't read yet.

Enormously enjoyed Dark Nights: Metal in the end. Very good, very silly.

I read Dark Knight Returns for the first time recently and I thought it was garbage. "I see a reflection" damn dude so fucking deep

Spiteface

Quote from: kalowski on September 28, 2019, 10:25:30 PM
This is a big thread, and I can't be arsed reading it, but I assume someone's mentioned Frank Miller's stuff. The Dark Knight Returns and Batman Year One are fucking marvellous.

All-Star Batman & Robin the Boy Wonder is also enjoyable for different reasons:

I assume Miller's #cancelled these days? DKIII is good, though.

kalowski

Quote from: Spiteface on October 14, 2019, 08:50:49 PM
All-Star Batman & Robin the Boy Wonder is also enjoyable for different reasons:

I assume Miller's #cancelled these days? DKIII is good, though.
Why is Frank Miller #cancelled? What did I miss?

Spiteface

Just generally. Holy Terror, his views on Occupy Wall Street etc.

I don't think he's ever been #cancelled, exactly, but the prevailing opinion is that his work went down the drain after a certain point. The Dark Knight Strikes Again is an incoherent eyesore of a book, and Holy Terror continued this trend. Word is that he became a serious alcoholic for a while, and it fucked up his work.

Alan Moore took a pop at Miller, calling him a fascist. Moore did his usual thing of saying, 'I haven't read anything by Frank Miller in twenty years... but I have an informed opinion on his latest works anyway! (Because obviously I have actually read them.)'