Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:45:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Batman (comics) questions/discussion

Started by madhair60, July 22, 2015, 10:04:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on August 20, 2015, 01:04:16 PM
I'm reading Snyder's "The Black Mirror".  It's really bloody good so far!  Got "Year One" in the post yesterday, will read that next, then it's onto Batman and Robin vol 2, then Return of Bruce Wayne.

Will be interesting to hear what you think of Return of Bruce Wayne. It's utterly bizarre, makes little or no sense, but is seriously good fun.

madhair60

Planning on buying it the morrow, will report back.

madhair60

Didn't buy "Return" yet because I got sidetracked by "The Boys", the Garth Ennis comic.  I did pick up Batman Year One and Time and the Batman (only read the first story, #700, ABSOLUTE GENIUS).  I've finished The Black Mirror now, and while I liked it a lot it wasn't very cohesive - I thought it was one large story but unless I've missed something the Black Mirror of the title is only a small-ish part of it.

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on September 08, 2015, 01:07:48 PM
Didn't buy "Return" yet because I got sidetracked by "The Boys", the Garth Ennis comic.  I did pick up Batman Year One and Time and the Batman (only read the first story, #700, ABSOLUTE GENIUS).  I've finished The Black Mirror now, and while I liked it a lot it wasn't very cohesive - I thought it was one large story but unless I've missed something the Black Mirror of the title is only a small-ish part of it.

It been a while since I read it, but isn't it two interconnected arcs: Grayson's battles against various criminals benefitting from the sale of Gotham City trophies and Gordon's relationship with his mentally ill son? Certainly the two stories are largely separate, but I seem to remember that Gordon's storyline in particular is pretty cohesive.

madhair60

Sure.  The Gordon story is most prominent overall, so I wonder why it's called The Black Mirror when that's a... what, two, three part thing that wraps up neatly?  Maybe I'm misremembering.

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on September 08, 2015, 02:26:33 PM
Sure.  The Gordon story is most prominent overall, so I wonder why it's called The Black Mirror when that's a... what, two, three part thing that wraps up neatly?  Maybe I'm misremembering.

I don't remember entirely, but I'd assume it's a thematic link between the stories, rather than a purely literal one. Gordon vs Gordon Jr/Grayson's self doubt when comparing himself to Bruce. That kind of thing. 

madhair60

I read Batman: Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On Serious Earth last night.

I feel as though I need to read Batman: Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On Serious Earth again.

Pit-Pat

Quote from: Kelvin on September 08, 2015, 03:49:42 PM
I don't remember entirely, but I'd assume it's a thematic link between the stories, rather than a purely literal one. Gordon vs Gordon Jr/Grayson's self doubt when comparing himself to Bruce. That kind of thing.

Man, the final image with James Gordon Jr in Detective Comics 878 stayed with me for a long, long time.

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on September 16, 2015, 12:31:46 PM
I read Batman: Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On Serious Earth last night.

I feel as though I need to read Batman: Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On Serious Earth again.

Do you have the annotated version, with notes at the back? Some good insights into what everything's meant to mean and represent.

madhair60

Quote from: Kelvin on September 16, 2015, 02:25:36 PM
Do you have the annotated version, with notes at the back? Some good insights into what everything's meant to mean and represent.

Yeah, lovely big book, full script, was £8.99.  Cracking.

I think I might love Grant Morrison.  Just ordered Batman and Robin v2: Batman Vs Robin as well.  It's Return of Bruce Wayne after that, yes?

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on September 16, 2015, 02:28:53 PM

I think I might love Grant Morrison.  Just ordered Batman and Robin v2: Batman Vs Robin as well.  It's Return of Bruce Wayne after that, yes?

Yeah, Return of Bruce Wayne after Batman vs Robin.

Pit-Pat

Quote from: madhair60 on September 16, 2015, 02:28:53 PM

Don't go in expecting his recent Batman stuff to be anything like Arkham Asylum. He's been pretty clear that his feelings about the character and his desire to be edgy with him are behind him.

Personally I much prefer Morrison's recent Batman stuff, and Frank Quitely's art is utterly lovely.

madhair60

Oh, I've been reading his recent stuff, that's why I picked up Serious House.  I've read & Son, R.I.P, Time and the Batman, Batman and Robin vol 1 etc.  I'm loving it.

Pit-Pat

Oh, sorry - should've read back again.

Yeah, it's really great. I need to read the post-Return of Bruce Wayne stuff myself.

Spiteface

Quote from: Pit-Pat on September 16, 2015, 03:08:56 PM
Don't go in expecting his recent Batman stuff to be anything like Arkham Asylum. He's been pretty clear that his feelings about the character and his desire to be edgy with him are behind him.

Personally I much prefer Morrison's recent Batman stuff, and Frank Quitely's art is utterly lovely.

If you got a few hours to spare and can tolerate Kevin Smith (I like him, but plenty don't), Grant Morrison's 2 episodes of "Fat Man on Batman" are a great listen, before he even gets to Batman, but I like his thoughts on the character and how he's changed over the years:

#26: http://www.smodcast.com/episodes/grant-morrison-bat-bard/
#27: http://www.smodcast.com/episodes/grant-morrison-bat-christ/

Pit-Pat

madhair60

He's actually done a third episode now, though I haven't listened through all of that yet.  Those first two are fabulous.  But, as a fan of Kevin Smith, he is a horrible interviewer!

madhair60

Can any of you lovely people let me know anything about the following trades?

- Gates of Gotham

- Batman: Eternal (vol 1)

The latter tempts me because the tiny bit of it I've read (in the Batman monthly UK reprint comic thingy) is quite interesting, but apparently I need to read Gates of Gotham (and Black Mirror, Court of Owls, which I've read) to get a handle on it.

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on September 17, 2015, 02:01:52 PM
Can any of you lovely people let me know anything about the following trades?

- Batman: Eternal (vol 1)

Eternal's rubbish, from I've heard. Meandering, stuffed with filler, poorly written, all seemed common criticisms at the time.

Spiteface

Well get ready, because Batman & Robin: Eternal started this week. I've not been reading Grayson, but they've recently brought Dick Grayson back to Gotham (Prior to Endgame, almost everyone bar Bruce Wayne thought he was dead), and the new run of Eternal goes back to a case he worked with as the first Robin. I'll grab this at some point, not in a hurry. Apparently, this will also reintroduce Cassandra Cain back into the main DCU, much like the first Eternal reintroduced Stephanie Brown.

Also, while not Batman, it ties into DKIII so I'm just gonna leave this horror here:

Thank god Frank Miller isn't drawing the whole thing.

Operty1

My thoughts on this cover:

His tights have ridden up a bit there.

Popeye Superman? What has happened to his fists and forearms?

You can see that he dresses to the right.

Ticking the main supes boxes.

Spiteface

What about weird squatting Batman with foot coming out of his fist?

Mister Six

Spiteface

Read this today:

Turns out Batman's a paranoid arsehole.

Kelvin

Quote from: Spiteface on October 23, 2015, 06:14:16 PM
Read this today:

Turns out Batman's a paranoid arsehole.

This surprises you? :)

Was that story part of a collection, when you read it? It's really hard to get hold of and I've been wanting to read it for ages.

Spiteface

Nah, I knew about the story for a while (they did an animated DVD loosely based on it, as I recall, or a similar idea). It came out fairly recently as part of that hardback Graphic novel collection they're doing, which I've subscribed to. I wanted to stretch my DC comic reading a little beyond Batman, this seemed like a good way to do it. There's an online shop for them as well, looks like they still have it there:

https://shop.eaglemoss.com/dc-comics-graphic-novel-collection-/jla---tower-of-babel

A tenner's not too bad for a hardback like that. Could get both volumes of Hush for much less than the Paperback costs, too.

Kelvin

Oh, wow, that's great. I'll snap that up.

I've seen the very average animated film, but heard the comic was much better. Plus, I'm a huge fan of that era of JLA stories and that's one of the best, supposedly.

The Roofdog

Kelvin