Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:24:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Greggs news

Started by poo, July 24, 2015, 10:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

I don't think i've ever even been inside a Greggs let alone sampled any of their discount 'cakey bakes'.

imitationleather

I was very irate when a Greggs opened opposite my local Percy Ingle, which for those not from east London, is basically the east London version of Greggs. I thought this meant that Percy Ingle was doomed, because it could never cope with the sheer brand recognition of it's northern rival. I don't go in either, but I have happy memories of my nan buying me ring doughnuts from Percy Ingle after picking me up from school, and I'd be livid if Greggs led to it going out of business. Also Percy Ingle is such a funny name for a chain of bakeries or whatever it is these places are.

This same street also has a Wimpy on it, a few doors down from the Greggs/Percy Ingle face-off. It's a real timewarp. Three pie and mash shops further down too.

mr beepbap

Tandoori Chicken baguettes gone up to £2.10  from £2.
5% price increase.
This, along with what I call the 'Greggs is Starbucks' customers clogging up the queue is making me rethink my dinnertime tactics.

biggytitbo

If you buy food from Greggs you probably want to rethink your whole life.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 04, 2016, 02:16:07 PM
No-one seems to do good gingerbread anymore.

Supermarket stuff is baked so fucking rock solid it's virtually masonry. Bakers stuff is generally pissweak on the ginger front and overly bready.

Lack of effective gingerbread makes life close to intolerable.

The standard of the sausage roll has slipped so far that people consider stuff like Walls and Greggs normal. Gingerbread is heading the same way. Is this wartime or fucking what?

Thomas The Baker of York have been making the best sausage rolls on the planet since the mid-1980s. Go there. You won't be disappointed.

imitationleather

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 05, 2016, 11:29:36 PM
If you buy food from Greggs you probably want to rethink your whole life.

The only time I've eaten at a Greggs was when I was a labourer (WTF?!). I only had the job because my mum was doing the boss and so he was essentially paying me 50 quid a day to keep the relationship going. So I was in some sense a pimp for my mum. Anyway, during this period all the other labourers used to get breakfast in Greggs. I was always so hungover I could barely eat but I remember being able to keep whatever the fuck it was he used to buy me each morning down, and they can put that on their posters if they want! Then it'd be back to doing man stuff, and utterly failing while feeling very sick.

I went back to do my A levels again sharpish.

poo

New product alert - chicken katsu curry bake!!! Oh man, I gonna gob on me nob :)

Icehaven

Greggs are one of a few of the big high street chains that employ people recently released from prison as part of a (possibly tax incentive related) initiative to reduce re-offending (Halfords and Asda do it too, and Timpsons were only taking on ex-offenders at one point. Might as well put that experience of fiddling about with locks to some use.) So for that if nothing else I like them. And their hot chocolate is alright when it's cold out. 

canadagoose

Quote from: poo on September 20, 2016, 05:24:49 PM
New product alert - chicken katsu curry bake!!! Oh man, I gonna gob on me nob :)
Thanks for the update, poo. I'm going to have to get myself over there again at some point.

Also, it's interesting to hear about the employing ex-offenders thing, icehaven - I'd always wondered how people who have been released from prison make a living.

Icehaven

Quote from: canadagoose on September 20, 2016, 08:50:42 PM

Also, it's interesting to hear about the employing ex-offenders thing, icehaven - I'd always wondered how people who have been released from prison make a living.

Often with great difficulty, and then with some ease, and then it's back inside they go. 
There's a campaign called Ban the Box which tries to get employers to sign up to agree to not have a 'Please tick this box if you have any previous criminal convictions.'' type question on their application forms. It's not trying to avoid disclosure completely, just allowing people to at least have their application considered and maybe get to interview stage without being immediately discounted in favour of people with no convictions, and given a chance to present themselves and explain what they were convicted of, how they're trying to move on etc. Obviously there's certain jobs and fields where this isn't practical or advisable, but there's very little reason why someone done for, say, dangerous driving or mortgage fraud or something shouldn't work in a pasty shop or a Supermarket.   
There's a lot of other initiatives and organisations and so on that help them try and get into employment too, including probation itself, but particuarly in the current economic climate etc. it's not hard to see why they're often going to be first on the reject pile. I can partly see why some people might think ''well if skilled law-abiding people can't get jobs why should criminals get all this extra help?'', but ultimately it's more expensive and a bigger hassle to have the same people spending their lives in and out of prison, and the second thing most likely to keep them out (after keeping family ties) is gainful employment.

Cuntbeaks

Last time i stooped low enough to buy a Greggs,  i opted for a 'Steak' Bake and a 'Chicken' Bake.

Gristle'n'Gravy Bake would have been more apt.  Not a single piece of steak was to be found,  the fucking knobs.

The Chicken Soup Bake was similarly bereft of actual meat,  an absolute fucking disgrace to the world of hot pastries.

Ringside

I love a Greggs corned beef pastie. Fuck all of you.

mr beepbap

Yeah Greggs is a cheap brilliant work dinner, lots of Greggs snobbery on here!  Maybe some people are more at home in ironic bowl of cereal cafes?

Paul Calf

Quote from: imitationleather on July 05, 2016, 11:39:39 PM
I only had the job because my mum was doing the boss and so he was essentially paying me 50 quid a day to keep the relationship going. So I was in some sense a pimp for my mum. Anyway, during this period all the other labourers used to get breakfast in Greggs. I was always so hungover I could barely eat but I remember being able to keep whatever the fuck it was he used to buy me each morning down, and they can put that on their posters if they want! Then it'd be back to doing man stuff, and utterly failing while feeling very sick.

Bleak thread.

Pit-Pat

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on September 20, 2016, 10:24:22 PM
Last time i stooped low enough to buy a Greggs,  i opted for a 'Steak' Bake and a 'Chicken' Bake.

Gristle'n'Gravy Bake would have been more apt.  Not a single piece of steak was to be found,  the fucking knobs.

The Chicken Soup Bake was similarly bereft of actual meat,  an absolute fucking disgrace to the world of hot pastries.

I'm surprised by this. I've sampled both (a couple of times in a single meal) and I've found them both to be more than satisfactory.

Then again, I did go to a Greggs in the Home Counties so it may be tailored to a more uppity class of customers.

Another good thing about Greggs, other than employing ex-offenders, is that it's known for having a very generous staff bonus scheme, quite like John Lewis except that Greggs plc is listed on the stock exchange:

QuoteAfter 6 months service you may be eligible for our profit share scheme where the company distributes 10% of its profits and allows you to share in the success of the business.

poo

Finally got round to tasting the katsu curry bake. My verdict? Cunting lush.

doppelkorn

How do they incorporate the katsu aspect (i.e. crispy crumbs)?

poo

Truly excellent mince pies again this year.

Vodka Margarine

H..how can you eat... a mince pie in October?

Filth.

Icehaven

Quote from: poo on September 23, 2016, 01:12:28 PM
Finally got round to tasting the katsu curry bake. My verdict? Cunting lush.

Yes I was going to go for it this weekend too, will definitely now. The main reason I try and avoid Greggs stuff is the lardiness, so a diet pasty is a dream come true.

poo

Quote from: Vodka Margarine on October 21, 2016, 11:23:05 AM
H..how can you eat... a mince pie in October?

Filth.

shove it in your gob mate, wash it down with a cuppa tea lol

doppelkorn

On a bike forum I go on they swear Greggs is the best mince pie in actual Britain lads. Only for those in the know.

poo

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Pit-Pat on September 23, 2016, 10:33:15 AM
I'm surprised by this. I've sampled both (a couple of times in a single meal) and I've found them both to be more than satisfactory.

Then again, I did go to a Greggs in the Home Counties so it may be tailored to a more uppity class of customers.

Yeah I've always thought their food is okay, nowt special but serves a purpose. But now they've introduced the steak and cheese roll I'm a regular customer, it shouldn't work but it's a tasty bastard and then some.

Kane Jones

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 21, 2016, 12:02:31 PM
Yeah I've always thought their food is okay, nowt special but serves a purpose. But now they've introduced the steak and cheese roll I'm a regular customer, it shouldn't work but it's a tasty bastard and then some.

Except you probably cover it with ketchup, making it taste only of ketchup.

Greggs HQ are moving from their old depot on Millmarsh Lane in Enfield to the old Coca Cola factory round the back. Any updates I'll post here.

Paul Calf

QDRPHNC

This thread makes we wish I could have Greggs :(

imitationleather

Fuck me, I can't believe I haven't posted this piece of Greggs news yet.

Everyone, I now live above a Greggs.

DOWNSTAIRS IS A GREGGS

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Kane Jones on October 21, 2016, 12:09:46 PM
Except you probably cover it with ketchup, making it taste only of ketchup.

I did this for the first time on Tuesday and it made it taste oddly wrong. This is the first time in my life that ketchup usage didn't lead to taste improvement, it's genuinely blown my world apart, and I'm thinking of now trying out not using it on other stuff, like chinese takeaways and salads.