Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:19:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Greggs news

Started by poo, July 24, 2015, 10:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: monkfromhavana on March 03, 2017, 07:24:14 PM
Does anyone remember when Greggs used to be called Braggs?

It used to be called different things everywhere. It was always Greggs in the north-west, but I think in Leeds or somewhere unpleasant like that it was called Thurstons. Don't know where it was called Braggs.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on March 14, 2017, 01:51:04 PM
It used to be called different things everywhere. It was always Greggs in the north-west, but I think in Leeds or somewhere unpleasant like that it was called Thurstons. Don't know where it was called Braggs.

Isn't it in Leeds where there are two separate and independently trading Greggs which are right next door to each other?

...I may have already posted the same thing in this very thread at some point...

the

Actual Greggs news: They've (temporarily I'm told) stopped doing Greggsnuts in favour of some lime & coconut doughnut abomination.

I presume they must be playing the long-game for a Greggsnut relaunch, cos otherwise that's just a terrible business decision. Ousted by lime and coconut FFS.

imitationleather

Quote from: poo on June 22, 2018, 08:18:12 AM
Not fair - lucky Birmingham! https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/greggs-now-doing-home-delivery-14768645

They do that in Newcastle. I live above a Greggs though, so it would seem a bit decadent to get it delivered. Especially since it'd be coming from a different shop.

Icehaven

Quote from: poo on June 22, 2018, 08:18:12 AM
Not fair - lucky Birmingham! https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/greggs-now-doing-home-delivery-14768645

I live in Birmingham and just today got a leaflet through the door from McDonalds about them now doing home delivery. There must be some kind of plot against Brummie arteries, they clearly want us dead, or at least unable to run away.

pigamus

Christ. (guess where this overweight diabetic lives)

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: icehaven on June 24, 2018, 01:48:51 AM
I live in Birmingham and just today got a leaflet through the door from McDonalds about them now doing home delivery. There must be some kind of plot against Brummie arteries, they clearly want us dead, or at least unable to run away.

Is it actually them delivering? I noticed one near me had a huge sign saying it was in partnership with deliveroo or justeat.

I imagine it'll be soggy shite by the time it's arrived, and about the price of a proper takeaway.

Icehaven

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 09, 2019, 09:49:18 AM
Is it actually them delivering? I noticed one near me had a huge sign saying it was in partnership with deliveroo or justeat.

I imagine it'll be soggy shite by the time it's arrived, and about the price of a proper takeaway.

Yep I think it's a delivery company rather than them direct, dunno which one though. Like an increasing number of places delivery orders are given priority, so you can be waiting 20 minutes for your apple pie while all these codes skip past your number on the screen, and a lot of the delivery orders seem to be vast (I suppose to make it worth the bother? Or am I being too charitable.)
Yeah it's going to be stone cold unless wherever it's going is less than 5 minutes away. Cold fries, nice.

Captain Crunch

Greggs Game Show

They love it up there don't they? 

Cuellar

I went into a Greggs today, had a look at what was on offer, then just walked out. Not interested.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Cuellar on August 10, 2019, 10:27:55 PM
I went into a Greggs today, had a look at what was on offer, then just walked out. Not interested.

I'm with you so long as I have teeth.  Once I lose them, the soft foods of Greggs will keep me alive.

Lord Mandrake

Went into KFC today, looked at the staff that would be preparing the food then just walked out.

imitationleather

I find the staff in London Greggs very below-par. They just do not appreciate what a cultural icon it is and how they are lucky to be employed like they do in the ones in Newcastle. You go in to a London Greggs and you come out feeling like it's all been a terrible mistake, like you just did an obviously trafficked prostitute or something.

My advice for all you London lads (I know we have a few): Avoid Greggs unless you are in Newcastle or you like nailing women who are part of a network of terror we can scarcely imagine. Safe.

Replies From View

Nah mate you looked at the cake display and said out loud "oooh 'yum yums' is a very good name for a pastry" and you ordered yourself all of the remaining stock of yum yums just to try out the taste of them for the first time.

Bazooka

Can one of you kind fellows ship a cheese slice over to Beijing for me? I'm starving and will pay handsomely.

Blue Jam

GREGGXIT NEWS:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49890034

QuoteHigh Street bakery chain Greggs is stockpiling pork so that production of its sausage rolls is guaranteed in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

"We are preparing for the potential impact of the UK's departure from the European Union by building stocks of key ingredients," the firm said.

PORK MOUNTAIN

QuoteAround 20% of a Greggs sausage roll is made from pork.

EWWWWW

Dr Trouser

Not wanting to be a fanny, but even home made sausage rolls are 20% pork, if you assume pork sausages have to have 40% min pork in them.

Still, makes you wonder eh?

Edit: on further investigation it appears that the minimum is 32% 'meat' if you want to legally label it as just a 'sausage'. Jesus wept.

Shit Good Nose

I believe that if you use the word "sausage" then there is a law which dictates that all of the meat is from the leg, shoulder and belly, and there is also a legal minimum meat content.  Obviously it can still be blasted off the bone with a pressure washer and there can still be other filler like breadcrumbs and rusk etc, but "sausage" at least means proper meat that everyone is familiar with.

If, however, you see something that says "bangers" or "dogs" or summat...well, lips eyelids and bumholes.

Dex Sawash

Occasionally see lymph nodes listed as ingredients in american sausage. it doesn't usually say what animal they come from

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 01, 2019, 01:32:44 PM
I believe that if you use the word "sausage" then there is a law which dictates that all of the meat is from the leg, shoulder and belly, and there is also a legal minimum meat content.  Obviously it can still be blasted off the bone with a pressure washer and there can still be other filler like breadcrumbs and rusk etc, but "sausage" at least means proper meat that everyone is familiar with.

If, however, you see something that says "bangers" or "dogs" or summat...well, lips eyelids and bumholes.

Or dogs

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Dex Sawash on October 01, 2019, 01:39:42 PM
Occasionally see lymph nodes listed as ingredients in american sausage. it doesn't usually say what animal they come from

It's where all the flavour is.

I swear I've had sausages with little bits of tube in...

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 01, 2019, 02:20:39 PM
Or dogs

Natch.

Replies From View

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 01, 2019, 02:22:02 PM
I swear I've had sausages with little bits of tube in...

Catheters and things?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Replies From View on October 01, 2019, 05:23:45 PM
Catheters and things?

Nah, like organic tubes.  Little bits of intestine and sarcophagus (the beast).

Can any Leeds based CaBbers confirm if there are still two Greggses located right next door to each other and trading independently?

poo

Yet another example of sound strategic planning from this great, great company.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 01, 2019, 05:46:38 PM
Can any Leeds based CaBbers confirm if there are still two Greggses located right next door to each other and trading independently?

Wasn't that Sunderland? I thought they were closing one shop and expanding into the bigger unit next door? Although I wouldn't be surprised if they kept them both running.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Pseudopath on October 02, 2019, 09:20:48 AM
Wasn't that Sunderland? I thought they were closing one shop and expanding into the bigger unit next door? Although I wouldn't be surprised if they kept them both running.

Possibly.  Either that or it happened in more than one place.

DEFINITELY saw it on the news, and both of them were doing good business at the time.