Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:32:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Greggs news

Started by poo, July 24, 2015, 10:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 01, 2019, 01:32:44 PM
If, however, you see something that says "bangers" or "dogs" or summat...well, lips eyelids and bumholes.

No, those are completely prohibited. Bangers and dogs and the like use more horrific sci-fi stuff like pure fat, connective tissue, reconstituted chicken collagen etc.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: H-O-W-L on October 02, 2019, 10:00:46 AM
No, those are completely prohibited. Bangers and dogs and the like use more horrific sci-fi stuff like pure fat, connective tissue, reconstituted chicken collagen etc.

Yes, I know - lips eyelids and bumholes is a League of Gentleman lift.  My point was that "sausages" only have...acceptable and non-toe curling stuff in them.

Sebastian Cobb

Jonathan Meades did a good demonstration as to how sausages were made on his food docu.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 02, 2019, 10:03:58 AM
Yes, I know - lips eyelids and bumholes is a League of Gentleman lift.  My point was that "sausages" only have...acceptable and non-toe curling stuff in them.

Fair do's, didn't mean to be a smartarse. I know people that genuinely believe you can toss digestive gubbinz into hot dogs and it makes me laugh. The truth is always worse.

Sebastian Cobb

Has anyone noticed that Richmond sausage seem to be more paste-like than other sausages?

It minorly annoys me when people think they're a good sausage.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 02, 2019, 12:09:03 PM
Has anyone noticed that Richmond sausage seem to be more paste-like than other sausages?

This explains everything;

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-latest-leave-remain-vote-instagram-spotify-airbnb-virgin-itv-a7182531.html

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 02, 2019, 12:09:03 PM

They are tasty.  I think so, anyway.

Irish sausages tend to be much smoother than others because they're traditionally minced much finer and also include egg in the mix.  They make for a less "meaty" sausage in terms of texture, but also (in theory) make for a more flavoursome (flavorful for all you Americans and Canadians out there) sausage.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on October 02, 2019, 12:22:20 PM
This explains everything;

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-latest-leave-remain-vote-instagram-spotify-airbnb-virgin-itv-a7182531.html

Nothing wrong with HP and bisto. Interesting that leave was predominantly 'things' whereas remain was all services.

I need to know where Yorkshire tea sit in this, given how they've trolled bigots who think tea is grown in Yorkshire I hope they're remain.

Icehaven

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 01, 2019, 05:46:38 PM

Can any Leeds based CaBbers confirm if there are still two Greggses located right next door to each other and trading independently?

I probably already mentioned it in this thread but there's a spot in Birmingham City centre from which you can see three separate branches of Greggs (and two McDonalds) literally a few dozen feet from each other. And it actually used to be four but one closed.

poo

bgmnts

They're flush with cash right now so makes sense. Good on them though.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on March 03, 2020, 02:52:10 PM
They're flush with cash right now so makes sense. Good on them though.

Brother in law thinking of jumping the Nissan ship and working for Greggs...good thinking in my opinion

Cuellar

Gregg opening next door to my office. Might finally go into Gregg.

Probably won't though.

thenoise

Quote from: Dr Trouser on October 01, 2019, 01:20:02 PM
Not wanting to be a fanny, but even home made sausage rolls are 20% pork, if you assume pork sausages have to have 40% min pork in them.

Still, makes you wonder eh?

Edit: on further investigation it appears that the minimum is 32% 'meat' if you want to legally label it as just a 'sausage'. Jesus wept.

Quote from: Cuellar on March 03, 2020, 04:17:58 PM
Gregg opening next door to my office. Might finally go into Gregg.

Probably won't though.

Go on, have a fucking steak bake. It won't kill you.

seepage

Quote from: Dr Trouser on October 01, 2019, 01:20:02 PM
Not wanting to be a fanny, but even home made sausage rolls are 20% pork, if you assume pork sausages have to have 40% min pork in them.

Still, makes you wonder eh?

Edit: on further investigation it appears that the minimum is 32% 'meat' if you want to legally label it as just a 'sausage'. Jesus wept.

On a related note, I saw that Chicken Cup a Soup is only 2.5% chicken, albeit the 2.5% of the chicken you'd rather not know about.

Bazooka

Quote from: poo on March 03, 2020, 02:47:47 PM
Leading the way, again - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51718074

If Greggs were a political party (could argue they are) they would win elections by a landslide.

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: poo on March 03, 2020, 02:47:47 PM
Leading the way, again - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51718074

Sandwich chain!!?? How out of touch are they in the bbc ivory tower?

Pingers

Quote from: seepage on March 03, 2020, 05:36:40 PM
On a related note, I saw that Chicken Cup a Soup is only 2.5% chicken, albeit the 2.5% of the chicken you'd rather not know about.

I think I might have found the answer to "what eat giblets?"

dissolute ocelot

The UK government food rules prohibit "in uncooked products made and sold in England": "feet, intestine (except as sausage skin), lungs, oesophagus, rectum, spinal cord, spleen, stomach, udder". There are a lot of rules specific to different named products, e.g. joints must declare added water but sausages needn't; there are standards for mince but not if it's marked "for UK market only"; burgers must be 67% meat (lower for rabbit burgers); economy burgers 50% meat; meat pie 12.5% unless it's very small when 10%; Scotch pie 10% meat regardless of size; pork sausage 42% meat; other sausage 32%. Most relevant, the minimum for a sausage roll is 6% meat. Mmmmm.

imitationleather

I felt like the announcement was just so people could read the story and go "Ohohoho! Reopening twenty Greggs stores in Newcastle, are they? Is that all there are there?! Ahahaah etc." anyway.

the

Quote from: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52500880Fried chicken chain KFC has already reopened 20 restaurants for takeaway and delivery only and plans to open another 80 next week.

Nando's has reopened six of its UK restaurants for delivery. The peri-peri chicken chain has re-opened kitchens at four restaurants in London and two in Manchester.

Burger King and Pret A Manger have both opened some sites for delivery and takeaway in the past week.

Some news about the foreign fast food chains at the end there. (Oh, and Pret, which is the same as Greggs but for the ABC1 demographic.)

Fr.Bigley

Have to let you down on the Leeds one. One stayed the other migrated up the road and has a security guard on Friday and Saturday nights. There's still seven in the city centre though.

Captain Crunch

Only 79 days and we can all relax and have a festive bake.

Captain Crunch

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Iceland do Gregg's products now, so get them delivered and there's no need to leave the house for your fix.