Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:40:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Greggs news

Started by poo, July 24, 2015, 10:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuntbeaks

I love the fact that Greggs has spread like a cancer all over the UK. Their frankly abominable fare is nothing short of pastry based bowel rape.

Now,  i like a pie or a pastry as much as the next fat cunt,  but as a seasoned and intrepid Pie Hunter,  there are many more favourable options available.  The problem is Greggs have spread so completely that having options is sometimes not an option.

Their fucking Steak Bakes are an absolutely travesty to the world of fat bastard snacking.  Should be called Gristle'n'Gravy Bakes. 

Also,  if you ask for a buttered roll,  you get a load of fucking butter with a roll on it. Stupid fucking mongo CUNTS.  I swear you could butter 5 rolls with the amount you get on one.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on July 24, 2015, 04:37:33 PM
Please tell me how you're doing this.  (spending £60 a month and no more on food)

Because food is quite cheap in the UK I suppose.

I tend to spend £15 quid a week and this tends to cover 7 varied cooked meals at home and food to prepare and take to work for lunch, without getting too scummy/risking scurvy. If you have lots of spices, condiments and staples in, you can rustle up a tasty meal for fuck all. I try to spread the cost of those out so I'm not having to replace an entire spice rack in one shopping trip.

Obviously I keep some money for the occasional meal out and the like.

Thursday

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 24, 2015, 04:38:59 PM
Ahh, I see

Though it was only the one in Kingston market place, so I'm not quite Lord Montysocks

It startled me though. Like when MaccyD's went all green that time

Why must they keep mucking about with things?

I was reminded today of the wood green BHS which hasn't changed since the 80's, You'd like it

Paul Calf

And pretty soon you won't be able to sell your house unless there's a GREGGS moment nearby:

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 24, 2015, 05:00:49 PM

I tend to spend £15 quid a week and this tends to cover 7 varied cooked meals at home and food to prepare and take to work for lunch, without getting too scummy/risking scurvy. If you have lots of spices, condiments and staples in, you can rustle up a tasty meal for fuck all. I try to spread the cost of those out so I'm not having to replace an entire spice rack in one shopping trip.

I think prices are comparable in the US, but I still struggle to spend less than 100 quid a month, even living on pasta most nights. I don't make as much effort as I should to shop at the super cheap stores like Dollar Tree though, as they tend to be located a lot further out.

mook

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 24, 2015, 05:00:49 PM

are you cooking just for yourself, or doing it as a group thing in a shared house for that budget?

& don't eat staples mate, no matter how many apparently free spices & condiments you put on 'em they still taste meh, & they'll ruin your hoop on the way out.

Gulftastic

Greggs is shit. They took over a chain called 'Thurston's' up here in Leeds (not sure if it's the same countrywide) and the product immediately went downhill.

Also, because of their never ending opening of branches, they put a chain called 'Ainsleys' out of business, and they did the best pasties (both flaky and traditional) and pork pies. I still yearn for them. Fucking Greggs.

Paul Calf

If Greggs ever put Thomas The Baker in York out of business I will shit through their letterbox. Have a Thomas' sausage roll and you'll see what's wrong with Greggs' alternative.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 24, 2015, 05:09:30 PM
And pretty soon you won't be able to sell your house unless there's a GREGGS moment nearby:

which town is that?

Newcastle - yes
Leeds - yes
Doncaster - yes

Every fucking town - yes

cookie cutter cunts

El Unicornio, mang

In Newcastle it's considered trendy by the school kids to walk around holding a Greggs bag. Stupid.

doppelkorn

Quote from: Gulftastic on July 24, 2015, 05:10:39 PM
Also, because of their never ending opening of branches, they put a chain called 'Ainsleys' out of business, and they did the best pasties (both flaky and traditional) and pork pies. I still yearn for them. Fucking Greggs.

WHAT THE FUCK?!

RIP Ainsleys.

Ah fuck this today.

On the plus side, London doesn't really have so many Gregg'ses except in your murkier outer zones like Streatham where we also had a Wimpy until last year. I only found out when I went to get a Wimpy and it wasn't there I was like mate where's the fukcin Wipmy mate this is my madhair/S?-S! impression.

Mate.

Wipmey.

Dr Rock

It's London because all the people aren't obese.

edit - Newcastle the jpeg says. Not having it.

edit - Also I changed the jpeg because it went massive for some reason so this one no longer says Newcastle.

Mijkediablo

Nah mate, times change, Greggs belongs in the past with flint knapping and video cassettes. It's all about the Pound Bakery now.

Mr Banlon

I thought I'd try out Pound Bakery. I put my postcode into their 'nearest store' locator on their website.
The nearest shop is 87 miles away.

Custard

I can't imagine it'll be too long before Greggs offer a delivery service

Greggs moped delivery man, scootering half-warm pasties to greedy swines, at 1.45 am. One for a possible bleak jobs thread?

doppelkorn

One of the Greggs in Leeds used to open late for the post club kebab crowd. It might still do. Anyway they had bouncers on. Imagine that for a bleak job.

"And what do you do?"
"I stop the drunk people in Greggs smashing themselves or anything else up between 1 and 4am"

mook

Quote from: doppelkorn on July 24, 2015, 06:14:42 PM
One of the Greggs in Leeds used to open late for the post club kebab crowd. It might still do. Anyway they had bouncers on. Imagine that for a bleak job.

"And what do you do?"
"I stop the drunk people in Greggs smashing themselves or anything else up between 1 and 4am"

& that's why they need to get a chicken cottage up there. it placates the rowdy & the lairy does a chicken cottage.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: mook on July 24, 2015, 05:10:17 PM
are you cooking just for yourself, or doing it as a group thing in a shared house for that budget?

& don't eat staples mate, no matter how many apparently free spices & condiments you put on 'em they still taste meh, & they'll ruin your hoop on the way out.

Just for myself since certain housemates turned out to be cunty.

I'm not on the breadline- far from it, cupboards are well stocked. I've just discovered things like buying reduced items- especially expensive stuff like meat and freezing it. Making two people portions and saving half for another day, and the nearest supermarkets are extraordinarily cheap possibly because they're the ones with no ethics whatsoever. I don't buy the economy brands either, excepting one or two things such as garlic baguettes where there is literally fuck all difference. I even get the occasional ready meal.

Rarely spend over 15 quid on a weekly shop - indeed that covers toiletries as well.

poo

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 24, 2015, 05:30:52 PM
which town is that?

Newcastle - yes
Leeds - yes
Doncaster - yes

Every fucking town - yes

cookie cutter cunts

Wooah! WTF! Ain't seen one of them in the Valleys mate. Looks mint.

poo

Pissed now love grwggs.

greencalx

And there was me hoping that the news was they'd gone into receivership.

thenoise

I miss French bread pizzas.

ollyboro

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 24, 2015, 06:22:47 PM
Just for myself since certain housemates turned out to be cunty.

I'm not on the breadline- far from it, cupboards are well stocked. I've just discovered things like buying reduced items- especially expensive stuff like meat and freezing it. Making two people portions and saving half for another day, and the nearest supermarkets are extraordinarily cheap possibly because they're the ones with no ethics whatsoever. I don't buy the economy brands either, excepting one or two things such as garlic baguettes where there is literally fuck all difference. I even get the occasional ready meal.

Rarely spend over 15 quid on a weekly shop - indeed that covers toiletries as well.
One of the advantages of Dwarfism is the need for fewer calories. That and regular seasonal work.

Blue Jam

Quote from: thenoise on July 24, 2015, 08:19:53 PM
I miss French bread pizzas.

Just make your own- the recipe is in the name.

Quote from: Mijkediablo on July 24, 2015, 05:50:36 PM
Nah mate, times change, Greggs belongs in the past with flint knapping and video cassettes. It's all about the Pound Bakery now.

The pigeon repellent spikes are just the icing on the wonderfully bleak cake there.

Custard

Those spikes work as mincers, as their pies are filled with pigeon flesh

Or something

Quote from: Mijkediablo on July 24, 2015, 05:50:36 PM

The Pound Bakery is a fantastic place. You get two (yes, TWO) pasties for a quid and they're pretty passable. The baguettes have so little filling inside they make Greggs' baguettes look like they're positively overflowing.

You may not have probably not tried the Greggs Corned Beef Pasty. A delicious pasty filled with a warm, grey, vaguely corned beef paste.

They are lush.

So good they don't sell them outside the North East.

Mr Eggs

Cut me and I bleed Waterfields meat and potato pasties.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Thursday on July 24, 2015, 12:35:17 PM
Ridiculous story.

Now if he was in to steak bake's that would be important news.

http://www.nowmagazine.co.uk/celebrity-news/milla-jovovich-i-love-a-greggs-cheese-and-onion-pasty-237340

QuoteUkranian model turned actress Milla Jovovich can afford to eat at a fancy restaurant whenever she likes. Instead, she likes nothing better than a bit of stodgy British fast food.

Milla, 31, whose boyfriend Paul Anderson is a Georgie film director, often visits Newcastle and heads down to Greggs for her favourite snack – a cheese-and-onion pasty.

'Oh my God, I love them,' she tells Stella magazine. 'I have often said I would be the face of Greggs but they haven't approached me yet.'

I like the spelling mistake.