Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:01:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Greggs news

Started by poo, July 24, 2015, 10:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iamcoop

Not sure if this has already been mentioned as I couldn't be arsed to read the thread but there's a Greggs in Newcastle town centre near my mother in law's house that has to employ a bouncer on the door from 11pm onwards from Thursday to Sunday.

Edit : yes it has

MuteBanana

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 24, 2015, 05:00:49 PM
Because food is quite cheap in the UK I suppose.

I tend to spend £15 quid a week and this tends to cover 7 varied cooked meals at home and food to prepare and take to work for lunch, without getting too scummy/risking scurvy. If you have lots of spices, condiments and staples in, you can rustle up a tasty meal for fuck all. I try to spread the cost of those out so I'm not having to replace an entire spice rack in one shopping trip.

Obviously I keep some money for the occasional meal out and the like.

By staples do you mean bread, eggs, rice, potatoes, pasta, beans? If you keep a bulk supply of those I can see how your weekly shop for fruit, veg and meat would be cheap.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 24, 2015, 11:31:35 PM
http://www.nowmagazine.co.uk/celebrity-news/milla-jovovich-i-love-a-greggs-cheese-and-onion-pasty-237340

I like the spelling mistake.

What!? Mila jovovich here in the toon? Dating a Georgie too. Fuck - wonder which one she prefers - probably the grim one on Percy street that has relocated

BlodwynPig

It's incredible what kind of thread exposes the identity of all the CaB Geordies! Greggs Meet?

Lost Oliver

Quote from: Mr Eggs on July 24, 2015, 11:15:30 PM
Cut me and I bleed Waterfields meat and potato pasties.

Too dry MATE. Two veggie sausage rolls for a quid at the pound bakery. Or two of any cakes. Try buying one and you'll still be charged a quid. Mental.

Mr Eggs

Quote from: Lost Oliver on July 25, 2015, 01:50:20 AM
Too dry MATE. Two veggie sausage rolls for a quid at the pound bakery. Or two of any cakes. Try buying one and you'll still be charged a quid. Mental.

Dry? What the fuck are you on about, you sick Wigan fuck.

MuteBanana

If they're trying to take advantage of people leaving the pubs then a bouncer makes sense.

thenoise

Yeah if 'take advantage' means sell them delicious yet reasonably prices warm savoury snacks.

Ok it's hardly a mixed salad but it's a notch healthier than cheesy chips or a dodgy kebab.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Now we have Pound Pub and Pound Bakery, what else can we get going that's a fucking sensible common sense British price like a pound?

Pound Barber
Pound Shag?

mook

Quote from: iamcoop on July 24, 2015, 11:53:15 PM
Not sure if this has already been mentioned as I couldn't be arsed to read the thread but there's a Greggs in Newcastle town centre near my mother in law's house that has to employ a bouncer on the door from 11pm onwards from Thursday to Sunday.

Edit : yes it has

who the fuck wants a rake of pastry based grub after a night on the piss? curry house surely, or a chinese at a push. not a steak & kidney fucking pie.

thenoise

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 25, 2015, 12:34:57 PM
Pound Shag?

Britain's cheapest brothel

Quote from: Daily Sport (pretty reputable source right?)
The prostitutes, who called themselves Poundland Pussies, operated their cut-price whorehouse in Litherland, Merseyside.

Huh. I bet it was more like Slitherland. Huh.

Lost Oliver

Quote from: Mr Eggs on July 25, 2015, 02:02:38 AM
Dry? What the fuck are you on about, you sick Wigan fuck.

Yeah, well at least my farts don't smell of Egg. You eggy prick.

Now out of business, this place came too soon for some. Ahead of its time https://twitter.com/poundtakeaway

thenoise

They made the mistake of following the colour scheme of UKIP propaganda, which when combined with the big pound sign on the front of their leaflets, may have resulted in many people unwittingly sticking it straight in the nearest bin.

Pity as £1 takeaway = what's not to love?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Battered fish and chips for a quid is utterly mental.

idunnosomename

In early October 2003, I bought an egg mayonnaise roll from Greggs and it was so awful I had to throw it away

Being a tight bastard this black day is etched upon my memory

Dr Rock

I am 46 and have never heard this word 'barm' before. Honestly it's like another country up there.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 25, 2015, 09:15:51 PM
I am 46 and have never heard this word 'barm' before. Honestly it's like another country up there.

'Barm'. Bloody Lancastrian rabble. It's 'breadcake'.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Gulftastic on July 25, 2015, 09:17:43 PM
'Barm'. Bloody Lancastrian rabble. It's 'breadcake'.

It's cob, you Yorkshire cunt.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

They might call it that. Others might call it a yardbarm, summersroll, a wainbelper, a tom, a frosted goff, a snaith, a peppered cobb, a wrawle, a boon, a draught-catcher, a druid's ruin , a yamder, a twenty-hogg, an ovendolt, a hearth-stub, an auntie's milk, a popple-wrangle, a nairn, a grogan, a ginnelgable, a toth, a fence-sapper, a haven't you-didn't-he, a humber, a clergyman, a Wolder, a danny-boy, a twenty-pence, a cathcart, a crucible, a sticklebap, a nobber's nonner, a curseflather, a bep, a Large One, a borb, a Fat Hard, a Fat Soft (variety), a cheddar-yedge, a boob-slab, a Pob, a Fag-Hammer, a godgywodge, a Foam Priest, a stay-at-home, a harmpath, a clothcastle, a gaggygorg, a broom-bopper, a weathervadge, a Wam, a Quentin, a Floater Half, a Hagrid, a belfry warden, an ogle-you-don't, a flanglerasp, a Knobber's Ninety, a solebosom, a farty, a bakernave, a risen-goon, a Woondort, a Lancaster Bummer, a Mister President, an English Ruble, an cloudgarment, a mandypant, a tethered rent, a parker's lozenge.

They might call it a Belp, a Pomphrey, a Floured Stooge, a Gormenghast, a Derby Dab, a blown grendle, a Rent Buffer, a headbulb, a venerable, a bun-for-hire, a kite-boffer, a nun's redoubt, a promise-bemf, a jodrey, toad-gourd, a brophy, a cowdrey, a To The, a burp-snare, a tonsiltaffer, a gont, a kiln-farthing, a bleeder, a Tall Tabatha, a Short Sally, a yeastgrail, a Coventry, a Tacker, an Alebaulker, a fatticoat, an Eiderbarm, a beamer, a clout, a fiction-passer, a Golb, a Mound-Boom, an alleyman's stopper, a Bacon Don, a Barry Cryer, a loamhoff, a botchbatch, a Quam, a March Crumpet, a gibbot, a hand-me-back, a tooler's todd, a One, a ledge-wright, a johnny, a jangle-purse, a Remf, a bad ball, a Stock Aitken & Waterman, a grabber, a weed-peach, a tugstool, a foodcairn, a Four Twenty, a mardy madam, a stompy, a riding-bomph, a Saturday Special, a tea greave, a faff, a pogwalenhoffer, a Toasty Woff, a Strangle-me-not, a Soft Mate, a Robert, a Gorbals Feast, a famishflouter, a Verger's Purse, a woolwrath, a Popped Boo.

https://soundcloud.com/shoulders-1/bread-roll-names

MuteBanana

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 25, 2015, 04:31:57 PM

Portion of chips might cost 30p to make. Batter some pence. Cheapo white fish 50p. Even if they make a loss on meals like that they'll make it up on charging a pound for the rough stuff.

MuteBanana

It's a soft white roll. Why do you lot try making everything gimmicky? Say what it is.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 25, 2015, 09:28:43 PM
It's cob, you Yorkshire cunt.

Piss off. At least we call Pork Pies 'growlers'.

ollyboro

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 25, 2015, 04:31:57 PM

Not that I'm a fat cunt or owt, but:

1) What is the hygiene rating of this joint?
2) Do they meet all employment laws?
3) Is there adequate parking and access to DixoNSS!"?
4) Is there affordable housing nearby?
5) What are the Ofsted ratings for the local school?
6) Are the local houses subject to planning regulations eg Green Belt, listed buildings?
7) Does the place provide a reputable brown sauce?
8) Are the local transport links acceptable?
9) Is the local sex industry tolerated and child -free?
10) Does James fucking Corden live anywhere near?

purlieu

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 24, 2015, 03:01:07 PM
2. Hinckley 2012 - Overpriced sausage roll leads to irreversible style fire extinguisher incident. Creamy mushroom pasty top seller that day.
Not often my hometown gets a mention 'round these parts.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

What happened to Hinckley before Hinckley 2012 came along?

purlieu

Directly, or in general? Because there's a lot to tell[nb]At least seven things.[/nb] in the history of the town before 2012.

p.s. Greggs is fucking atrocious.

biggytitbo

When it comes to cut price baps, Hull's Skeltons is hard to beat. Their raisin d'être was to be the cheapest form of pastry, and they fulfilled that role with aplomb amongst Holderness road residents during the 1980s and early 90s.

purlieu

Also quite sad to discovery Ainsley's has closed down. They were always my bakery of choice when I lived in Leeds.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yeah fucked in the arse mate only Greggs now Greggs forever who wants Greggs going for a Greggs Greggs it is then yeah suppose so whos going not me i went last time so fucking what what do you mean so fucking what go get some Greggs fuck off you fucking go to fucking Greggs who the fuck cares fuck off you fuck off you fuck off ill twat you you cunt fuck off