Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:57:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rutles Highway Revisited

Started by Jemble Fred, February 14, 2004, 02:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jemble Fred

Sorry if anyone got excited, there's no download here. In fact, I was wondering if anyone had even heard any of this (to my knowledge) rare as fuck US collection of Rutles covers? The only Rutles covers I have on mp3 are Siouxie Sioux or someone doing Goose Step Mama, and some indie band's version of Between Us. Any more info would be gear and fab.

I've also been a wee bit rattled by re-reading the Eric Idle is a Slag/ Rutles essay on the Post Python thread, (although I already knew it wasn't 100% quality journalism) and was wondering if ANYONE on here had the money and opportunity to listen to it yet? Is Idle nothing but a bit-part player in SHITE American sitcoms, or has he turned a corner? I'm hoping the latter, before I buy the CD for myself...

Darrell

Apparently it's fucking dreadful, and it now has a Bonzos counterpart.

Out of irritation of the obvious pointlessness of the Bonzo one, there's an open invitation on the Neil Innes Yahoo group for everyone and anyone to contribute Innes/Bonzos/Rutles covers to a fans' tribute CD called 'All Neil Innes Presents' which will be sent to Innes as present on his next birthday. Me and my friend are all set to record King of Scurf for it, and anyone's welcome to contribute a track - the more the merrier. Submissions can be donated any time in the next 8-10 months (see the Neil Innes Yahoo group for a database to fill in with provisional details of your entry).

I really like the idea of this fan-made tribute CD, it seems so much like the right thing to be doing.

P.S. Slade's cover of 'Angelina' is ace!

jutl

It was a Shimmy Disc compilation, and as such I'd disagree that it was 'fucking dreadful'. Shimmy Disc were a great label, with many good acts.

I mean look -

1. Cheese & Onions - Galaxie 500  
2. Hold My Hand - The Pussywillows    
3. Number One - Bongos, Bass & Bob    
4. Good Times Roll - Lida Husik  
5. Another Day - Dogbowl  
6. Piggy In The Middle - Das Damen          
7. I Must Be In Love - Syd Straw & Marc Ribot          
8. Nevertheless - Joey Arias          
9. Let's Be Natural - When People Were Shorter & Lived Near The Water          
10. Between Us - Unrest          
11. Ouch! - Peter Stampfel & The Bottlecaps          
12. Blue Suede Schubert - The Tinklers          
13. Living In Hope - Tuli Kuppferberg          
14. Baby Let Me Be - Daniel Johnston          
15. It's Looking Good - Uncle Wiggly          
16. Goose Step Mama - Shonen Knife          
17. Get Up And Go - Jellyfish Kiss          
18. Doubleback Alley - King Missile          
19. With A Girl Like You - Paleface          
20. Love Life - Bongwater  

I'd call that a great lineup of acts. I mean, it doesn't sound much like The Rutles - but surely that's the point of  covers album...

Darrell

It's worth pointing out that even Neil Innes doesn't like it.

jutl

Quote from: "Darrell"It's worth pointing out that even Neil Innes doesn't like it.

Is it? Would he naturally like cover versions of his own songs? I'm sorry but I just don't see how that's relevant...

Edit to add: Sorry to be combative, but it pisses me off when people condemn something they haven't even heard.

Darrell

I've heard Shonen Knife's cover of Goose Step Mama and that was appalling enough to stop me bothering with the rest.

jutl

Quote from: "Darrell"I've heard Shonen Knife's cover of Goose Step Mama and that was appalling enough to stop me bothering with the rest.

Then I honestly believe you are missing out.

Still - if your ideal versions of Rutles songs are the actual Rutles songs, then I guess no covers album can ever measure up...

alan strang

My local Forbidden Planet used to play Rutles Highway Revisited as in-store musical tannoy entertainment. Only when they were bored of playing Trout Mask Replica though.

Not heard it, apart from The Pussywillows' 'Hold My Hand' - which Lee & Herring played on their Radio 1 show once ("Hahaah - you said 'pussy'!")

Yo La Tengo's cover of 'Ready Mades' is rather nice. I gather Innes likes that one.

european son

Quote from: "jutl"Still - if your ideal versions of Rutles songs are the actual Rutles songs, then I guess no covers album can ever measure up...

and if you think about it, that's kind of funny.