Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:55:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mafia 3

Started by Bored of Canada, July 28, 2015, 02:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Mafia 3 has been annouced.

Mafia 1 was very nice and I liked its melancholy tone. The second one was a bit sillier. I wouldn't mind a more downbeat and quiet crime story game. They all try to be funny and satirical but just happen to be a shit instead.

THIS WILL BE SHIT I RECKON.

madhair60

GamerGate cunt stain shitheads, do not buy their products

edit: unless it's by someone else obvs

El Unicornio, mang

I love the atmosphere of Mafia 2. Looks like 1970s setting for this one, which is pretty exciting. Hoping for more side stuff to do though, to make it like an actual open world. Maybe gambling and such.

Quote from: madhair60 on July 28, 2015, 02:38:24 PM
GamerGate cunt stain shitheads, do not buy their products

edit: unless it's by someone else obvs

Oh really? People who made naked photographs of female body parts an in game collectable have some kind of poor relationship to women?

I'd like for it to not be an open world. No more open world's people. Make a better tighter game with more thoughtful design and leave the open world stuff for other shit games.

El Unicornio, mang

BUT I WANT TO GO AND GET MY HAIRCUT AND DATE A LADY

Onken

I thought the biggest criticism of Mafia 2 was not being open world enough. People wanted all the freedoms of GTA IV in favour of storyline and the period changes it offered. The reviews were very harsh and unfair at the time for not meeting the expectations everyone had. It was an enjoyable game no matter that it was short on replay.

thugler

Mafia 1 was one of my favourite games of all time. Fantastic music (got me into old jazz) and atmosphere, an exciting plot, great driving mechanics (that grand prix car bit) and gun battles.

Mafia 2 had some of the good presentation, but the actual game was bog standard going behind cover and shooting stuff, the driving wasn't nearly as good either. It felt very very short and the actual content of the game wasn't nearly on par with the first one.

As for what they should do with the new one, I'd prefer If they didn't bother with the open world stuff as they just won't be able to do it to the level of stuff like GTA, they don't have the resources or money behind games like that. I'd be happy with a linear game with a good story and maybe a bit more focus on interesting puzzles. Bit more of an rpg mechanic rather than endless machinegun battles.

El Unicornio, mang

My experience was opposite. I found the driving in the first Mafia so horrible and unrealistic I just gave up. Mafia 2 seemed like a big step up in that area, and obviously the graphics were a lot more advanced. The WWII first mission was a nice touch too.

thugler

I may have just presumed that was realistic due to the cars being all old and that!

QRDL

I remember it being incredibly stiff and in no way resembling real-life driving and even less what I imagine driving leaf-springed vehicles to be (I basically imagine a modern car with dampers completely gone).
However, I very much enjoyed the open-wheel race and was surprised when, quite recently, I learned that the supposed incredible difficulty of that mission was the reason for many to give up on the game.

The second game I thought was really good, but yeah, its open world was as useless as the one in LA Noire, without the latter's attention to detail (or so I'm told).

Bhazor

So long as it is another 10 minute sequence where you clean urinals I'll be happy. That's all I want in a game really.

lazarou

Quote from: QRDL on July 28, 2015, 11:54:00 PM
However, I very much enjoyed the open-wheel race and was surprised when, quite recently, I learned that the supposed incredible difficulty of that mission was the reason for many to give up on the game.
The difficulty of that race was considerably tweaked in the first patch after release, so you may have been playing a fixed version. I remember it being a complete bastard on a keyboard pre-patch, but then I'm terrible at that kind of thing anyway.

One detail I recall on the vehicles was that it was one of the first games of its type to model things like shooting out individual tyres and bullet penetration through the bodywork, fuel tank and so on. Seemed bloody impressive at the time.

QRDL

Quote from: lazarou on July 29, 2015, 01:20:47 AM
The difficulty of that race was considerably tweaked in the first patch after release, so you may have been playing a fixed version. I remember it being a complete bastard on a keyboard pre-patch, but then I'm terrible at that kind of thing anyway.

Don't think so. By that time I still used to pirate games and I never risked installing patches, fearing that I would have to look for a new crack. I remember trying the race around 10 times, but it always seemed fair with no rubber-banding, so there was a great sense of accomplishment after finally winning. Anyway, it was a long time ago and I might've produced some convenient memories.

REVEEN!

Quote from: thugler on July 28, 2015, 10:25:13 PM
It felt very very short and the actual content of the game wasn't nearly on par with the first one.
I vaguely remember there being some sort of beef between the developers and publishers that led to the game being butchered down to less than half it's intended size by the time it was finally released.

That race was bastard hard. Fuck that race.

I PUT MY HAND UP AS RACE HATER.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Mafia 2 felt like a series of sequences where the developers were recreating cool scenes from their favourite gangster movies, loosely linked together by meat and potatoes shooter sections. It all seemed to take place in a sandbox environment simply because that's what other games were doing; there was nothing to do within the sandbox, and the chapters system prevented any genuine freedom.

Onken

Mafia 3 Cinematic Trailer

I can't find the gameplay trailer but theres slippets of footage that looks spectator inside this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLNkKmBkwDY

Onken

The community has spoke and the YouTube comments aren't very happy with some of the over the top action. They're saying it resembles Just Cause and Saints Row. I'd agree that the part at 2:54 does look particularly stupid.

Seeing the driving in more detail it doesn't hold up to GTA V and graphically it isn't that impressive. Theres lots of pop in and I don't tend to notice that stuff being a console peasant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCxXOSZABLc

Bhazor

Quote from: Onken on August 05, 2015, 09:10:41 PM
The community has spoke and the YouTube comments aren't very happy with some of the over the top action. They're saying it resembles Just Cause and Saints Row. I'd agree that the part at 2:54 does look particularly stupid.

Seeing the driving in more detail it doesn't hold up to GTA V and graphically it isn't that impressive. Theres lots of pop in and I don't tend to notice that stuff being a console peasant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCxXOSZABLc

Definitely doesn't look as technically impressive as Mafia 2 did at its time. But I guess the openworld genre has become a lot more competitive since then.

It is looking a lot more actiony. Not sure if thats a bad thing because Mafia 2 could be deathly dull at times with its commutes. But it is certainly a change.

Bhazor

Having finished Mafia 2 for the first time, got as far as prison last time, the takeaway is that it was filled with missed opportunities in terms of gameplay and a bloated poorly told story. The game has really good shooting, with environmental damage that still looks impressive, but only has about 5 shootouts with much more time spent in the terrible fisty cuff fighting. The game has a really interesting multi tiered wanted system which is immediately undermined by the fact you lose all wanted stars by breaking sight for 5 seconds[nb]The best worst example being the jewelry store chase, where after a daring rooftop chase you reach the ground level surrounded by dozens of police officers. Who you're supposed to lead in an exciting chase across the city but instead you can escape by just ducking behind the sign in front of the entrance and then watching them all just fuck off home.[/nb]. It has car customisation but doesn't let you pick your own vehicle in the majority of missions. Theres a weird amount of food lying around, with several restaurants and a message about food recovering health. Which is fine except you have regenerating health.

The worst flaw though is the narrative which is all over the shop. Characters are introduced with lengthy CGI cutscenes who are then never mentioned again. Flor example as the gun merchant who gets a ten minute introductory cutscene and is then never referred to again. The writing seems to be aiming for the tone of a realistic Goodfellas style small time crook is undermined by the sheer scale of the shooting sequences where you'll gun down a dozen cops in broad daylight. Theres also a weird bit with the Caribbean gang being introduced to the story and then immediately dropped and the Triad just plopping in to the center of the narrative with no kind of build up. Meanwhile, the fact every character is a white Italian guy with a military hair cut wearing a suit whose name ends with an -ie or -y makes keeping up with all the betrayals and all three rival families incredibly confusing. At least the Yakuza games gives the important characters eye patches or bright purple suits and hilarious hawaii shirts to help differentiate them from the other 400 japanese men with short hair in business suits in the story.

The city itself gives a strong first impression where you're walking through a snowy street surrounded by drunk revellers and full of life. Unfortunately, after that it rapidly bleeds that character until it feels just like GTA 3. It just becomes a very bland background as you drive from mission to mission. It does improve right near the end with one of the last missions featuring some amazing rain effects which really added to the atmosphere. Alas the rest of the game is just blandly sunny.

Still the music gives it a sense of place and the Playboy spreads are much appreciated

http://imgur.com/a/tNI1U#34

Van Dammage

Quote from: Bhazor on September 05, 2015, 12:34:24 AM

Still the music gives it a sense of place and the Playboy spreads are much appreciated

http://imgur.com/a/tNI1U#34

"Phwoooooaaaar" was invented for them pics. I found a total of 5 in my playthrough I think.

Bhazor

Well its out now. Anyone played it?

Early reviews are just reminding me why I hate reviews. Everyone is just raving about how great the soundtrack is when its basically "Now Thats What I Call a 70s Montage". Having fucking White Rabbit in your soundtrack is apparently still a major selling point. It's making the claims that the story is "totes the best thing ever guys" that much harder to believe. Especially after how flawed the story of Mafia 2 was which was also hailed as a narrative masterpiece back when it came out. This is the same industry that considered fucking Last of Us the greatest achievement of man since the invention of fire.

Bhazor

Well its less than 48 hours and CrowbCat already has a glitch compilation out about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZokdmzvDGA

Lemming

Watched several people play it for a few hours, haven't played it myself, but it looks atrocious. The stealth is awful beyond belief, it seems that you have to be literally trying to fuck up in order to be detected, and going in guns blazing isn't much better because the only thing worse than the stealth AI is the combat AI.

The missions all seem to be borderline identical too - drive somewhere, spend one minute shooting everyone or two minutes "sneaking" through, kill (or use the apparently completely cosmetic non-lethal takedown on) some boss guy, drive away to do the exact same thing elsewhere.

I replayed Mafia 1 recently and it's far from perfect but they clearly tried really hard to give you a lot of gameplay variety in missions and the story is engaging in a fun, self-aware kind of way.

The storys good, the soundtrack is amazing and I quite like the Max Payne style shooting but yeah pretty much every mission is the same and I'm halfway through.

biggytitbo

I'm playing this now. Considering I'm madly in love with the era and setting I'm always going to be predisposed to it so I am enjoying it despite its flaws. It's a beautifully atmospheric game, with the stellar soundtrack, ambient lighting and muted color palette complementing the expertly realised late 60s environments. It could be a contender for one of the best looking games ever made if it wasn't so glitchy, I'm playing on a ps4 and stuff is popping in and looking weird all over the place - the mirrors in this game are one of the most surreal things ive ever seen in a 'triple A' release, like something out of sapphire and steel.

I get the point about the repetitive nature of it in the middle especially but it at least changes up the settings enough to keep it fresh, the level in the funfair for instance is fun just because of its environment.

It's one of those  flawed games that succeeds because of its story and setting, I'm such a sucker for 1960s US history and this is one of the very few games that covers that era so it gets a pass just for that. Stick the menu on and it's a great jukebox too.

bgmnts

I got bored of it about halfway in but committed. I thought the end was quite fun.

biggytitbo

There's a terrific level in this later on where you have to raid a paddle steamer that's on fire and sinking. Feels a bit like a brief, fun excursion into an Uncharted game. The gameplay can be a bit repetitive, but the settings are so diverse and detailed, even down to an underground mardi gras style orgy that appears for all of 10 seconds, that it never out stays its welcome. Feels a bit like grand theft auto crossed with far cry, but with a better environment than either.

Wilbur

Fuck me is this still over £30 ? Must be due for a bargain bin release by now surely ?

Ah 75% off on Humble ....as you were might take a look at that price......ta....