Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:10:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Oliver Jeffers

Started by Queneau, July 31, 2015, 10:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queneau

I have loved the work of Oliver Jeffers for a long time, but have sort of rediscovered my love for him when reading the books to my son. There must be some more love for him here. I have shown his work to a number of adults who have all enjoyed it too. Stuck seems to be the most enjoyed by those I've recommend him to. It's about a kid called Floyd who gets a kite stuck in a tree and tries to find a way to get it out. Hilarious and, as with all of his work, beautifully illustrated.

His artwork is a major part of the attraction of Drew Daywalt's The Day the Crayon's Quit too.

Other Jeffer's work worth checking out is his debut, How to Catch a Star and The Incredible Book Eating Boy. His most recent effort, Once Upon an Alphabet is a beautiful book that features a different story for each letter of the alphabet.

The Huey's are a pretty decent collection of books too and the audio versions by Jarvis Cocker are fantastic.

So, yes, looking for more Jeffers appreciation and perhaps adaptations or rarities I might not know about. Or similar children's writers. Is there anyone like him?

jobotic

Yeah my son really enjoyed Stuck and The Incredible Book Eating Boy. Will look out for Once Upon an Alphabet, thanks.

The only one I know that you haven't mentioned is The Great Paper Caper which is pretty funny. 

hoverdonkey

Yep, big fans round this way. One of my favourites is The Day The Crayons Quit - a beautiful looking book. He didn't write it, but did illustrate it.

Edit: Oh yeah, you mentioned it.

Queneau

Quote from: jobotic on August 01, 2015, 09:59:17 AM
The only one I know that you haven't mentioned is The Great Paper Caper which is pretty funny.

Been a while since I read that, I do really need to buy a copy.

The Day the Crayons Quit has been used to good effect to get youngsters writing. A primary school I know got pupils to write something similar about gel pens. Great stuff.