Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:27:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Not Another Another Vague Unplaceable Movie Memory

Started by ajsmith, August 05, 2015, 04:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajsmith

I have vague memory of a single scene in a film I saw years ago; It was probably 70s, though could have been earlier. A night scene. A man, mid 30s ish in age, depressed in mood (probably for romantic reasons) sits down on a fountain, takes out a single note of money of large value (I said $100 dollar bill but it could have been a different amount or currency from another country, just it was a lot for a single note), folds it into a paper boat, and sends it floating away on the fountain, all the while looking wistful. Ring a bell for anyone??

Puce Moment

Not sure about the age of the man, but the time period is right, and I think there is a scene with a fountain in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5le9sYdYkM

ajsmith

Quote from: Puce Moment on August 05, 2015, 04:32:46 PM
Not sure about the age of the man, but the time period is right, and I think there is a scene with a fountain in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5le9sYdYkM

Wow, I only watched the full Conan comp of this last night. Had I posted this a day earlier and you'd replied thus, you'd have left me right bewildered.

DukeDeMondo

popcorn

I've got one I've been trying to identify for years.

A kid is being wheeled into A&E on a stretcher and his parents appear. "Good news!" they tell him. "We're getting divorced!"

I could have sworn it's from The Squid and the Whale or something similar but it isn't.

Glebe

Quote from: popcorn on August 05, 2015, 07:07:07 PM

A kid is being wheeled into A&E on a stretcher and his parents appear. "Good news!" they tell him. "We're getting divorced!"

I could have sworn it's from The Squid and the Whale or something similar but it isn't.

Not Terms of Endearment? I've only ever seen bits of that to be honest, but it's worth a shot. The Squid and the Whale is a great movie actually.

[EDIT]Or Parenthood? Another shot in the dark.

DukeDeMondo

The only answer I could think of for Popcorn's question, and indeed the only one Google was able to kick up, was Peggy Sue got Married. That's got wheelchairs and lots of "we're getting divorced," but not in those specific configurations.

weekender

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on August 05, 2015, 08:44:17 PM
The only answer I could think of for Popcorn's question, and indeed the only one Google was able to kick up, was Peggy Sue got Married. That's got wheelchairs and lots of "we're getting divorced," but not in those specific configurations.

I sometimes wonder if there could be a film identification system set up, based on key words and shit, and then I think about Skynet and I get horribly, horribly confused about the future.

popcorn

Unfortunately I haven't seen any of those films so no. Keep trying though, I've wanted to find it for about 5 years. :(

edit: a bit more context. I seem to recall that the film had a major storyline about the kid trying to save his parents' marriage, so when they say "good news, we're getting divorced" it's, you know, like a joke. The one thing he didn't want to happen!!

mothman

This isn't a film memory, it's a comics memory. But it was of a quite-thick/bumper-edition comic-book from at least 30 years ago, involving just about every superhero in existence battling some force I can't rememberm and eventually succumbing all except a few (Superman was one who remained). The vanquished superheroes were all kept in suspended animation in glass tubes[nb]The families of Flight MH370's Chinese passengers, who insist they're still alive, are presumably envisaging something similar.[/nb]. The baddie was revealed to be some, I dunno, giant garden gnomealike individual.

popcorn

Markf

There was a short horror film posted on here a few years ago that im trying to remember.

I think it was spanish and it was set in 1 building.

A brother and sister go to meet their dad who works in the builiding in what appears to be some sort of cosmetic surgery clinic (a nurse drops some bags of fat out side of the door to be disposed of)

The dad meets the kids and they get into an old fashioned cage elevator which bteaks down and it goes all dark.

I think the kids climb out one at a time to go and get help but dont come back.

The end has the man reach the bottm of the stairs only to see his son walk down behind him, but he looks odd like he has something pumping through his body. Just off screen the boy appears to be being controlled by some sort of tentacles.

I remember it being quite good and spent a good while trawling the youtube threafs trying to find it to no avail. If anyone knows what im on about please put me out of my misery.

Gulftastic

Quote from: mothman on August 07, 2015, 05:04:42 PM
This isn't a film memory, it's a comics memory. But it was of a quite-thick/bumper-edition comic-book from at least 30 years ago, involving just about every superhero in existence battling some force I can't rememberm and eventually succumbing all except a few (Superman was one who remained). The vanquished superheroes were all kept in suspended animation in glass tubes[nb]The families of Flight MH370's Chinese passengers, who insist they're still alive, are presumably envisaging something similar.[/nb]. The baddie was revealed to be some, I dunno, giant garden gnomealike individual.

This?

popcorn

What is the song that plays at the end of the Bridget Jones's Diary trailer? Sounds like an 80s new-wave thing:

https://youtu.be/PYPK3jPZkYI?t=74

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: popcorn on August 05, 2015, 07:07:07 PM

I've done IMDB with keywords "divorce" and "hospital", searching through the comedies, but nothing's springing out.

http://www.imdb.com/search/keyword?keywords=divorce%2Chospital&sort=release_date,desc&mode=detail&page=1&genres=Comedy&ref_=kw_ref_key