Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:54:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Graphics Tablets

Started by Pinckle Wicker, August 09, 2015, 11:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Thought the Tech board may be more relevant than the Art board for this one.
So, does anyone use one out there and if so could you let me know your thoughts please?
I am thinking about getting one really to practice and develop my ideas for comic storylines. I am a total noob on this front but value the input of my Cab peers on such matters.

Consignia

This topic maybe a good starter: http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,47518.0.html

All I can say is, don't cheap out on it. I bought a cheap one once and it was completely useless. Inaccurate and fell apart quickly.

Ah, many thanks Consignia, I will check that out. I must have missed that one.

Consignia

I only remembered it since I posted in it. It's better to have new topic anyway, but I thought it might a useful thread to read.

Jim_MacLaine

I'm still using my Wacom Bamboo for photo touchup and art stuff. Took a bit of getting used to at the start but works well with photoshop and Lightroom.

I guess it depends on your buget and the size of workspace you need. I'd love to have one of the larger tablets but can't justify the cost.

Check out the Wacom range here http://www.wacom.com/en-gb/products/pen-tablets#Explore

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Consignia on August 09, 2015, 11:54:35 AM
All I can say is, don't cheap out on it. I bought a cheap one once and it was completely useless. Inaccurate and fell apart quickly.
I would say the opposite. I've owned a Wacom in the past and it was no better (and much smaller) than the cheap one I currently have. This was over a decade ago, however. The current crop of Wacoms may be more fairly priced.

Jim_MacLaine

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on August 09, 2015, 03:50:27 PM
The current crop of Wacoms may be more fairly priced.

My Bamboo was £50 which is pretty cheap I guess. There was a guy on Tumblr that reviewed various tablets both cheap and pricey. I'll see if I can find the link.

edit. Found it. http://frenden.com/tagged/review

What about apps for an ipad etc? I have been told about Astropad, any good?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The problem I've always found with tablets, of whatever kind, is that they just don't feel the same as drawing on paper. There's not enough traction between the pen and the surface. I've tried laying a sheet of paper on top of the tablet, but that doesn't feel quite right either.

lazarou

Back when I did a lot more artwork I used a variety of these from a nice fancy large-form Intuos that cost about $500 to a cheap A5 Bamboo. Higher end models tend to have better touch/tilt sensitivity but even the basic models will be more than enough for sketching and drawing work. I ended up using the bamboo more than anything as I mostly used it for inking and the smaller size made it super convenient to carry around and use anywhere.

Don't be tempted to go too big, I went that way at first and it was a mistake, at least for the way I worked. Last I looked Wacom had eliminated the Bamboo range and rebadged everything as Intuos, so I'd probably just go for one of the smaller, cheaper ones in that range.

I've tried other no-brand tablets that were abominably poor, but I may have just had some rotten luck there. If you want to go that way, just make sure to check the reviews and know what you're getting, as quality seems to vary wildly.