Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:21:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone seen any decent tribute bands?

Started by Bollock Chops, October 05, 2004, 06:08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bollock Chops

Has anyone seen any tribute bands who are actually any good? I wouldn't mind seeing a Clash tribute band (if they were any good).

Uncle_Z

More of a covers band than a tribute band but I'll shoe-horn them in anyway:  I Can't Believe It's Not Punk.  Saw them support Half Man Half Biscuit up Manc way [insert] years ago.  Energetic young bunch of scamps they are.

Ambient Sheep

Hardly The Clash, but http://www.pinkfraud.co.uk are mind-blowing.  Classic Pink Floyd from 1969-1979, using some of their original equipment (including one of the WEM speaker cabs seen in the Live at Pompeii video).

Their rendition of "Careful With That Axe, Eugene" sent all the hairs up on the back of my neck.  Quite possibly the best gig I've ever been to, and that includes the real Pink Floyd!

Highly, highly, recommended.

The Bootleg Beatles are wicked.
the Rolling Clones are also great.

There's a Jam tribute band called The Jamm.  My mate went to see them and said that the fake Weller couldn't remember half of the lyrics.

I too can recommend The Bootleg Beatles.  I wonder whatever happened to The Joshua Trio?...

I was a student when The Spice Girls were massive.  I had this wee idea of doing an all male tribute called The Spice Grrrrrls which I reckon would've been a right earner, but no one would do it with me.  I can see why, but count the pennies afterwards and the blushes don't feel so warm anymore.  I'm not gay or owt.

'Ere, do you remember in the mid-90s when Oasis were so popular that an Oasis tribute band actually had a top 20 hit with that song off of the Coca Cola advert?  My mind bogles now as it did then.

EDIT in response to below: Oh, I knew what they were called, just asking it anyone else remembered them.

Marty McFly

Buddy Holly and the Cricketers. saw them live last year. very entertaining.

the Bootleg Beatles are good as well.

there's a Nirvana tribute called Teen Spirit who are pretty good, according to friends who have seen them.

Captain Crunch

Stairway to Zeppelin were the loudest thing I've ever heard in my entire life.  Sounded good from the lav though.  Simply Led are ok, don't take it very seriously, have a laugh and take requests and stuff.

I won't mention the Generation Preachers because they probably all post on here anyway.

A Passing Turk Slipper

I've got tickets to see the Bootleg Beatles in december and I cannot wait. I saw a Beach Boys tribute band once on holiday and they were quite good. I'd love to see a Clash tribute too, there's a few of them around but I can't remember any names.

Beagle 2

Nothing much to add but I saw the bootleg beatles at Knebworth and they were fucking marvellous. Not cheap to get tickets mind is it? They played round our way a couple of years back and it was £20 a throw.

Hee hee, Nowaysis signed a FIVE ALBUM deal in the middle of all the mid 90's hysteria!

Quote from: "Beagle 2"Nothing much to add but I saw the bootleg beatles at Knebworth and they were fucking marvellous.

Would that have been at the Oasis Knebworth gigs back in 96?

mrs spinktrimpet

Saw an amazing Frank Zappa and the Mothers tribute band in Thirsk, of all places.
Took some balls just to attempt his stuff, but they were very good and very tight.
Dunno what they were called though

cilamc

I once saw a Smiths tribute band who were really enjoyable, they were called These Charming Men.

Joy Nktonga

I saw the Australian Doors Show a few times at the Town and Country club/Kentish Town Forum and loved them to bits.  It was a fantastic act and they blew me away each time I saw them.  Better than the LA Doors at the Concorde in Brighton (IIRC), but not as good as the C21st Doors last December at Wembley stadium.  Anyone noticing a theme here?

No-one else apart from Bjorn Again at the Guildford Festival about 4/5 years ago.  They were exactly as you would expect them to be.

Beagle 2

Quote from: "The Man With Brass Eyes"
Quote from: "Beagle 2"Nothing much to add but I saw the bootleg beatles at Knebworth and they were fucking marvellous.

Would that have been at the Oasis Knebworth gigs back in 96?

Indeed it would, two Beatles tribute acts for the price of one! No, was one of the best days of my life that. Take it you were there?

The Australian Doors get much kudos I know, that guy looks like he's living the dream alright.

dan p

Australian Pink Floyd Show are fantastic. It doesn't beat the real thing but you get a better mix of tracks.

I really want to see Fake No More just because the name is so good.

Dirty Boy

Quote from: "mrs spinktrimpet"Saw an amazing Frank Zappa and the Mothers tribute band in Thirsk, of all places.
Took some balls just to attempt his stuff, but they were very good and very tight.

Wagga Jawaka?

Saw 'em in Kendal of all places.They were fantastic.

AC/DO also rock, and indeed roll.

poison popcorn

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"I had this wee idea of doing an all male tribute called The Spice Grrrrrls

i thought about that too, the herb boys it was going to be... thankfully it never got past the stoned idea stage.

i'm utterly sick of tribute bands. i reckon about 80% of bands that come up from the mainland are tribute bands. we've had beatles, abba, madness, clash and many more than i can ever hope to remember. we even had a pissing darkness tribute band. a tribute band doing covers of a band that is essentially a tribute band itself. they don't miss a trick.

The actual numbers of this are plucked from the top of my head, but the idea of it is the point I want to make:

I once heard that when Elvis Presley died in 1977 there were 200 registered Elvis impersonators.  By the year 2000 there were 468,000 of them worldwide.  If the rate of increase continued, by 2023 half the population of the world would be an Elvis impersonator.

Frankly that's marvellous.

I saw an Elvis tribute recently called Barry Paul.  All I could think of was The Chuckle Brothers.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "dan p"Australian Pink Floyd Show are fantastic. It doesn't beat the real thing but you get a better mix of tracks.
Depends what you want.  Apparently (and you can probably tell me!) they do more of the newer "Floyd Fraud" stuff, i.e. tracks off of A Momentary Lapse of Taste and The Division Bell.  Pink Fraud don't touch those with a bargepole.

Someone who was at the last Pink Fraud gig I went to (at the Boat Race in Cambridge (RIP)) had been to the Australian PF show at the much-larger Corn Exchange in Cambridge a few weeks earlier, and said afterwards that the Fraud were far better.

I don't know myself, just repeating the observation.

I went to see a Pink Floyd tribute.  They brought the house down.

mrs spinktrimpet

Quote from: "Dirty Boy"
Quote from: "mrs spinktrimpet"Saw an amazing Frank Zappa and the Mothers tribute band in Thirsk, of all places.

Wagga Jawaka?

Saw 'em in Kendal of all places.They were fantastic.

AC/DO also rock, and indeed roll.

It was them. cheers

Cambrian Times

There is a covers band in Barnet, who drink in my pub. They are called "Schweet-Azz" and they rock. If you are anywhere near Barnet this weekend, go see them at the Green Man in High Barnet on Saturday night.

I won't be there cos I'm working :o(

TJ

steevbishop

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"
Quote from: "dan p"Australian Pink Floyd Show are fantastic. It doesn't beat the real thing but you get a better mix of tracks.
Depends what you want.  Apparently (and you can probably tell me!) they do more of the newer "Floyd Fraud" stuff, i.e. tracks off of A Momentary Lapse of Taste and The Division Bell.  Pink Fraud don't touch those with a bargepole.

Someone who was at the last Pink Fraud gig I went to (at the Boat Race in Cambridge (RIP)) had been to the Australian PF show at the much-larger Corn Exchange in Cambridge a few weeks earlier, and said afterwards that the Fraud were far better.

I don't know myself, just repeating the observation.

I saw Aussie Floyd back in January '96 and they didn't touch anything past The Wall. When you think the Division Bell tour, and Pulse were doing the rounds a little before, it was a surprise. There was a good mix of the experimental era (I wouldn't trade 68-73 for anything) and the concept era. "Sheep", "Careful...", "Echoes" along with the usual suspects were played. It was a fantastic show although they didn't play note-for note, rather playing the songs relatively faithfully but still in their own way.

I like the idea behind Pink Fraud better, doing all they can to faithfully recreate the live experience with atmosphere, genuine kit etc.. Seeing as I didn't really get into the band until '94 I've never seen them live anyway, but I wish I could get some of that Pompeii-style Floyd on stage. I'll keep my eyes peeled for them.