Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 02:11:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

#VeryBritishProblems

Started by Hank_Kingsley, August 14, 2015, 10:39:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank_Kingsley

Anyone watch this last night?

I would have done but I was too busy drinking tea and complaining about the weather!

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

I didn't see it but my Romanian colleague enjoyed it very much. The reviews are not great though.

madhair60

Does the show actually have the hashtag in its title?

#getingrave

Dr Rock

Too Much Cordon. And The Widdicombe was present too. But Reeves & Vegas made it bearable. Like Grumpy Old Men but far too much about how we get embarrassed if we don't remember someone's name and other things that have been done to death (and aren't peculiar to Britain either).

Hank_Kingsley

I don't think it actually has a hashtag in the title but if they'd been thinking with their social media hats on they probably would have chucked one in somewhere.

https://twitter.com/SoVerrryBritish

Enjoying this parody account greatly.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Brundle-Fly

As a nation we are very reserved, uptight/ very promiscuous, confrontational

Delete where applicable.

Uncle TechTip

It is based on a Twitter account, so can you really get all huffy about the incorrect suggestion that its title is a hashtag? The question is, did they consult the originator of the idea or did they steal it like an mp3, ahhh?

Seems a bit thin, how many will there be? Will they turn to other ideas? A series of dimly-lit photos of meals for one?

Twibbie

The sort of half-baked talking head shite that was everywhere a few years ago. I was under the impression that those sort of shows had fallen out of favour so hope this isn't a resurgence. Basically it was Grumpy old everything. Pointless.

Funnily enough on ITV at the time was a programme called The wonder of Britain or some such which went round showing the marvels of this that or the other of the british countryside or townscapes, which is the sort of weed i also seem to recall climbing up the televisual wall around the same time. Maybe i only started noticing them around them.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Twibbie on August 15, 2015, 01:43:39 AM
The sort of half-baked talking head shite that was everywhere a few years ago. I was under the impression that those sort of shows had fallen out of favour so hope this isn't a resurgence. Basically it was Grumpy old everything. Pointless.

Funnily enough on ITV at the time was a programme called The wonder of Britain or some such which went round showing the marvels of this that or the other of the british countryside or townscapes, which is the sort of weed i also seem to recall climbing up the televisual wall around the same time. Maybe i only started noticing them around them.

I'm currently watching C5's The Best Of Bad 90's Tv and spitting nails with the out of context lies vomitting from my screen.

McFlymo

Quote from: Hank_Kingsley on August 14, 2015, 10:58:53 AM
I don't think it actually has a hashtag in the title but if they'd been thinking with their social media hats on they probably would have chucked one in somewhere.

I hate those fucking limp talking head, propaganda things. Hellish. That parody Twitter account is excellent though!

Twibbie

Quote@SoVerrryBritish

not being sure if the queen is waving at you or the person next to you as you huddle outside Buckingham palace like an idiot piece of trash

This is a show i could see us crowdfunding.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: McFlymo on August 15, 2015, 04:52:30 AM
I hate those fucking limp talking head, propaganda things. Hellish. That parody Twitter account is excellent though!

It is indeed.

Hank_Kingsley

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on August 15, 2015, 01:04:04 AM
It is based on a Twitter account, so can you really get all huffy about the incorrect suggestion that its title is a hashtag? The question is, did they consult the originator of the idea or did they steal it like an mp3, ahhh?

Seems a bit thin, how many will there be? Will they turn to other ideas? A series of dimly-lit photos of meals for one?

Don't think anyone was getting huffy, more sad at the idea that tv shows could very plausibly have hashtags in their titles now and there would be uncertainty about it. The owner of the twitter account has been very successful in monetizing it: books, t-shirts, mugs (probably).

Does anyone have any idea what someone could expect to make from having a property like that turned into a tv series?

How much do you reckon could you make out of a reasonably popular Ian Beale parody account? Twenty grand? Ten?

BritishHobo

Are the observations actually fresh, novel things, or have they stayed faithful to the source material and it's just a load of twee shite about drinking tea and queuing?

Twibbie

"Isn't it awful when you've been talking to someone and you realise you don't know their name? Only in Britain!"

BritishHobo

"When the Queen puts the milk in first and you don't know whether to overthrow the monarchy or not!!!!!"

Thursday

"Saying a thing to be polite but actually you're quite angry"

up_the_hampipe

"When someone says something sarcastic or ironic and you laugh because your British upbringing means you understand it unlike the fucking yanks!!!!"

Pit-Pat

"Biscuits and tea in some combination"

Thomas

Quote from: Hank_Kingsley on August 14, 2015, 10:58:53 AM

Love the weariness.

Quotewhen your pubes get trapped inside your foreskin and you spill tea on your balls

Quotecrossing the road to avoid someone you went to school with also you get hit by a bus driven by henry the eighth or whatever the fuck

QuoteUhhhh when you get the tardis stuck in your ass and uhhhhhhh Stephen fry is there

BritishHobo

They need more people like Rich Hall putting in appearances. Doug Stanhope and Reginald D. Hunter have done some great stuff about their experiences with British culture.

up_the_hampipe

QuoteUhhhh when you get the tardis stuck in your ass and uhhhhhhh Stephen fry is there

That's tremendous.

East of Eden

Quotethere is no greater honour than to die for your country. im choking to death on bunting. i am at peace

Quoteyour friends and family feel like total strangers and you feel numb and empty. everything seems pointless and you also have athlete's foot.

HappyTree

I'm gonna make a stand. A stand against this deeply unfair criticism that we're obsessed with the weather. Hey, Jude, like the weather is something that actually affects people. It can determine what you need to wear and/or carry about all fucking day in case it changes. Again! It can make you obliged to squelch around all day in wet shoes or close your school down and give you the day off. It can change your plans, make going to work in the morning even more full of despair than normal. It can even kill people you love.

And when it's not shit you're so amazed that you need to share this good fortune with everyone. Hey, like I can actually go out in a t-shirt today and not take a jumper just in case. This is how people in better countries live every day.

The weather. Mate.

idunnosomename

A few of the British Problems tweets I think are funny obviously the whole rain/tea/queues is tedious shite but whoever's behind it can craft the odd good line, but the whole personality of the feed is twee and annoying. The parody account is absolutely hilarious though.

The biggest fucking bullshit that's been monetised into crap gift-shop remaider-bin books is @Queen_UK who is serious shit for cunts. Complete bollocks. Ha it's the queen but she drinks gin blaahhh - basically anyone could have got to it first.

Pit-Pat

Just saw the beginning of this and had to switch over almost straight away. It's like a McIntyre routine performed by 30 people who should know better over several episodes. Fucking shit mate.

syntaxerror

This is shite but I'm watching because I'm tired and yes it's the most obvious of observations including, but not limited to:-

Queuing
Saying sorry
The driving thank you gesture
Being in a round

._.

Pit-Pat

Stephen Mangan talking about holding a door open for someone was both the first thing in the programme and exactly as much as I could take.

KennyMonster

Quote from: Pit-Pat on August 20, 2015, 09:28:00 PM
Stephen Mangan talking about holding a door open for someone was both the first thing in the programme and exactly as much as I could take.

There is a whole new etiquette for holding a door open for someone that the programme didn't go into.

For the uninitiated here it is:

Make sure you are about 10 - 20 steps ahead of them at least,

Open the door for them,

They will feel compelled to run a bit to get to you and the door

Say to them "It looked like you could do with the excercise you fat fuck".

Let go of door into their face.