Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:05:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fast Show series 2 repeats on BBC 2

Started by Gulftastic, August 14, 2015, 11:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gulftastic

Newsnight is reduced for the summer, so the beeb is filling the missing time by repeating series 2 of The Fast Show at 23.05 on BBC 2. My EPG is showing it as being on Tuesday-Thursday. It might be on Friday too, but the EPG doesn't go that far yet.

It starts next Tuesday (18th)

madhair60

Utterly bizarre.  Welcome, though.

Any sketches missing sequences on DVD that could be capped?

Quote from: madhair60 on August 14, 2015, 11:43:54 AM
Utterly bizarre.  Welcome, though.

Any sketches missing sequences on DVD that could be capped?

The 'Arthur Atkinson sings Prince' skits were in Series 2 I think - they were great.

Serge

It's (Mark Williams as) George Formby singing Prince, isn't it? Actually, I'm not sure if he's meant to be Formby exactly, but obviously referencing him. (Williams also did Formby singing 'Subterranean Homesick Blues' in 'Alexei Sayle's Stuff'.)

Replies From View

I have it on DVD already you stupid fucks.

neveragain

Quote from: Serge on August 14, 2015, 04:12:57 PM
It's (Mark Williams as) George Formby singing Prince, isn't it? Actually, I'm not sure if he's meant to be Formby exactly

Fred Halibut and his little banjulele

Puce Moment

Quote from: Serge on August 14, 2015, 04:12:57 PMWilliams also did Formby singing 'Subterranean Homesick Blues' in 'Alexei Sayle's Stuff'.)

Wasn't that in The Day Today?

It always pops in my head when I hear Dylan's original song.

thenoise

Serge

You're right! I'm getting my Formby sketches mixed up. The Williams/Formby impression in 'Stuff' is from a sketch where Einstein takes to writing comedy to make a living and writes a song about E=MC2 for Formby. And here it is...

There were 4 "Fred Halibut & His Little Banjolele" sketches in Series 2 Episode 3, and all 4 of them were edited out of the original VHS release, the original Series 2 DVD, and weren't reinstated when they released that huge Ultimate Fast Show Collection box set.

"Gett Off" appears between Rowley Birkin and 'Cute Disabled Man'.
"Cream" pops up before Gideon Soames.
"Darling Nikki" appears just before the last 'Shagging Couple' sketch
and "Sexy Motherfucker" is just before the final Off-Roaders/End Credits.

I don't think those sketches have ever turned up on YouTube either.

They're showing Series 2 Episode 3 this Thursday, so if you have the ability to grab it and put it up somewhere, I'd be eternally grateful, as those Fred Halibut bits were some of my favourites.

Jockice

Last night's episode featured my all-time favourite Fast Show sketch. Just a tiny amount...

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on August 19, 2015, 12:03:37 AM
There were 4 "Fred Halibut & His Little Banjolele" sketches in Series 2 Episode 3, and all 4 of them were edited out of the original VHS release, the original Series 2 DVD, and weren't reinstated when they released that huge Ultimate Fast Show Collection box set.

"Gett Off" appears between Rowley Birkin and 'Cute Disabled Man'.
"Cream" pops up before Gideon Soames.
"Darling Nikki" appears just before the last 'Shagging Couple' sketch
and "Sexy Motherfucker" is just before the final Off-Roaders/End Credits.

Weirdly a clip of Sexy Motherfucker does turn up in one of the documentaries included in the Ultimate set (the Comedy Connections episode maybe?)

momatt

All 4 of them were edited out of the original VHS release, the original Series 2 DVD, and weren't reinstated when they released that huge Ultimate Fast Show Collection box set.

Oh FFS.
I really hate shit like that.  Fucking lawyers ruining comedy.  :(

El Unicornio, mang

They're showing Series 2 Episode 3 this Thursday, so if you have the ability to grab it and put it up somewhere, I'd be eternally grateful, as those Fred Halibut bits were some of my favourites.

I'm going to grab it with get_iplayer, will try to upload it somewhere.

I've wanted to see those bits for years too, not surprising they're not on youtube given how strict Prince is with his music.

PaulTMA

Quote from: momatt on August 19, 2015, 05:02:53 PM
Oh FFS.
I really hate shit like that.  Fucking PRINCE ruining comedy.  :(

momatt

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on August 19, 2015, 10:53:26 PM
I'm going to grab it with get_iplayer, will try to upload it somewhere.

It'd be lovely if you could please.  :)

Quote from: PaulTMA on August 20, 2015, 12:59:33 AM
Oh FFS.
I really hate shit like that.  Fucking PRINCE ruining comedy.  :(

Maybe in this case, but I was thinking of all the other times where DVD releases have been fucked about by music rights.  The Young Ones, Filthy Rich & Catflap, some bits of the last Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle.  Probably loads more too.
Prince is definitely being an over-sensitive dickhead who takes himself rather seriously.[nb]small man syndrome[/nb]

steveh

The law concerning parody did change last year though, so it probably wouldn't be an issue now. (Leaving aside the zero chance of them ever putting out new Fast Show DVDs.)

http://www.wragge-law.com/insights/a-new-law-state-of-mind-uk-parody-exception-to-copyright-infringement-comes-into-force-1-october/

checkoutgirl

I thought the BBC was exempt from music copyright issues. Must be different on videos and DVDs or summink.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Jockice on August 19, 2015, 07:38:00 AM
Last night's episode featured my all-time favourite Fast Show sketch. Just a tiny amount...

Gideon Soames failing to tie a Rowley Knot. Never laughed at that bit but for some reason it got me this time.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Norton Canes on August 20, 2015, 11:16:36 AM

Gideon Soames failing to tie a Rowley Knot. Never laughed at that bit but for some reason it got me this time.

I'm sorry, I'm having trouble walking and talking.

Classic.

June 5th. Woke up. Ah, bedtime.

shiftwork2

Ah the nostalgia and joy of seeing the letters of Eras Video assemble on the screen.  It's not even that funny a gag, why was I in stitches?  Thoroughly enjoying all of these.

idunnosomename

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 20, 2015, 11:12:08 AM
I thought the BBC was exempt from music copyright issues. Must be different on videos and DVDs or summink.
The BBC plays a flat rate to the musicians' publishing body so all their programme makers can use whatever music they want for broadcast (hooray for Watchdog using Pink Floyd or ABBA when a story about finance comes on)

The license however does not extend for when you make a release of it, so you have to be more careful if you want to make a DVD, as you have to clear all the music separately.

bobloblaw

Hence Desert Island Discs' podcast intro "For rights reasons, music selections are shorter than in the radio programme".

Though now you can download the show and all BBC music radio shows for 30 days, so something might have changed.

momatt

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 20, 2015, 11:12:08 AM

Possibly because BBC broadcasts are non-profit, but the sales aren't?
Probably depends on the contracts, but I imagine the writers and actors get a cut of the DVD sales?

Jockice

Quote from: Norton Canes on August 20, 2015, 11:16:36 AM

On last night's I take it? Haven't (re)watched it yet. Never really got Gideon Soames first time round. Or Denzil Dexter come to think of it. Dunno why, some people think they're both hilarious.

Bhazor

Would it be horribly contrary to say that the second season is the only properly good season of Fast Show?

madhair60

Quote from: Bhazor on August 20, 2015, 06:40:52 PM
Would it be horribly contrary to say that the second season is the only properly good season of Fast Show?

It's definitely the best series.

idunnosomename

Quote from: bobloblaw on August 20, 2015, 12:13:54 PM
Hence Desert Island Discs' podcast intro "For rights reasons, music selections are shorter than in the radio programme".

Though now you can download the show and all BBC music radio shows for 30 days, so something might have changed.

Well the 30-day limit is the same as listen again was, just four times as long now. Won't the Fast Show Prince sketches also be available on iPlayer TV for a month?

Desert Island Discs is incredible for how it went from being not even available on Listen Again (rather greedy widow of Roy Plomley), and then to having its archive completely available where a recording exists. But clearing the rights for that was clearly a big task. For classical it's finding the rights for the performers if the guest had a particularly obscure recording they wanted.

tomasrojo

Was Denzil Dexter based on Bob Bakker, the palaeontologist?  It's a rather obscure reference, except that he used to be on television in the late 80s and early 90s a bit, because he was a prime proponent of the notion that many dinosaurs were hot-blooded and very active. Remarkably hirsute man, and similarly accented and mild-mannered.