Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:28:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fast Show series 2 repeats on BBC 2

Started by Gulftastic, August 14, 2015, 11:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DangledTeeth

I've never seen (or perhaps don't remember) the Eras part.

That Mikki Disco sketch is still outstanding.

momatt

So are the other episodes in the series intact on the DVD?

neveragain

Yes, as far as I can remember. Oh, there might be one Ted & Ralph sketch missing from the last ep of the third series, namely the funeral of Mrs Ted where the cassette tape jams and Ralph has to sing something.

Gulftastic

Fred Halibut was the icing on a fantastic cake. Last night's may be the best episode of the whole run.

Some of my favourite sketches in that half hour.

Mr Wells
Arthur Atkinson's radio comedy. I especially love his callous last line about Chester's wife having a baby
Spoiler alert
'Congratulations. Is it mine?
[close]
Felix Dexter in the 'patois' sketch.
'CAIRO!' 'SNAKE,SNAKE!'
Cute Disabled Man
Ted & Ralph in the restaurant
Paintballing Off-Roaders

momatt

Quote from: neveragain on August 21, 2015, 01:57:50 PM
Yes, as far as I can remember. Oh, there might be one Ted & Ralph sketch missing from the last ep of the third series, namely the funeral of Mrs Ted where the cassette tape jams and Ralph has to sing something.

Yes, I vaguely remember that.  Really cringey.
Another music lawyer getting stroppy then.

I've put the Fred Halibut bits up on Youtube.
It's been up for 10 minutes and, so far, the Banjolele Cover Version department of Rogers Nelson Copyright Law Inc. have yet to sniff it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYks29_oxUA

Cheers to El Unicornio, mang for the original episode rip.

shiftwork2

Quote from: momatt on August 21, 2015, 03:43:46 PM
Yes, I vaguely remember that.  Really cringey.
Another music lawyer getting stroppy then.

It was 'Always On My Mind' if I remember correctly.

Vodka Margarine

Watching this as an adult two decades on is an odd feeling. All the things that made me fall about laughing at 14 now just get a wry smile, fondly remembering a time when the catchphrases were genuinely side splitting on their own merits and the risque sight of naked wobbling women's breasts on BBC2 was overwhelming and demanded an urgent trip to the bathroom as soon as the credits started rolling.

Now that all those catchphrases have long since filtered through into the collective national lexicon (I don't think anyone used the word 'meme' in 1996) it's the subtler material that deserves attention and where the true gold lies. Conflicted pub man and Ted & Ralph, to name but two.

Jockice

I've just watched the live show for the first time in years on youtube. I had the VHS of it years ago but lent it to someone and never got it back. Which was brilliant.

Dr Rock

Ready to have your mind blown with one of them time things? I reckon when Mark Little says 'That's enough! Thats enough.' like Brian Glover out of American Werewolf In London? Well that was probably filmed closer to the time of American Werewolf In London being made than it is to now.
AWIL = 1981. 1981 + 14 years = 1995 (when this was on right?) , 2015 - 14 years = 2001. It was filmed way closer.

mobias

Competitive dad was and still is my favourite fast show character. He reminds me so much of my late grandfather who was almost identical in every way including his voice. My favourite competitive dad sketch the Christmas special where he starts heckling his own son at the school nativity play. That same sketch features a very young Amy Winehouse if I remember rightly.

neveragain

Re: DVD edits. I think there are one or two other snips in the first series. They used to have an inter-credits thing where they'd announce a (real) band that was supposedly playing next week and Whitehouse would come on and annoy them as no character in particular. I think one or two succumbed to the music copyrighters' whims.

Serge

Quote from: neveragain on August 21, 2015, 01:57:50 PM

Just watched this episode on DVD, and Ralph singing 'Always On My Mind' is intact. Whether they cut it out of later editions or not, I don't know....

My favourite music-related joke is in this episode, and also thankfully not edited out - in the 'Singing Ringing Tree' spoof when Higson's character goes over a musical bridge and plays the tune of Gary Numan's 'Cars'.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Jockice on August 28, 2015, 12:46:13 PM
I've just watched the live show for the first time in years on youtube. I had the VHS of it years ago but lent it to someone and never got it back. Which was brilliant nice.

BRILLIANT!!

Serge

Something that only just struck me watching the last episode of 'The Last Fast Show Ever' is the sketch where they play a joke on Colin Hunt by pretending to sack him is eerily like Brent getting sacked at the end of series 2 of 'The Office'. Not enough like it that I'm saying they ripped it off, but there are parallels.

Now...can somebody who has seen the 'comeback' Fast Shows from a few years ago tell me - is there a sketch with Johnny Nice-Painter where he's able to say 'black' without going off on one? For some reason I've got it in my head that such a sketch exists, but it's not in the original run at all, and I've only seen one of the comeback episodes once, whenever it was shown on TV. Or have I imagined it?

Spiteface

Quote from: Serge on September 26, 2015, 10:28:44 PM
Now...can somebody who has seen the 'comeback' Fast Shows from a few years ago tell me - is there a sketch with Johnny Nice-Painter where he's able to say 'black' without going off on one? For some reason I've got it in my head that such a sketch exists, but it's not in the original run at all, and I've only seen one of the comeback episodes once, whenever it was shown on TV. Or have I imagined it?

I think it might have happened, but the twist was another thing set him off instead, if memory serves.

I have the boxset lying around, not got round to rewatching it all yet, like a lot of things I buy.

Serge

Of course, I've just done what I should have done in the first place and looked it up on Youtube. Yes, such a sketch exists, and he says 'black' quite a lot, until he's set off by saying
Spoiler alert
'white'
[close]
....of course!