Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:20:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mooney Suzuki

Started by The Man With Brass Eyes, October 05, 2004, 12:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
this is another one of these "what are so & so band like?" threads.
the band is Mooney Suzuki.

there seems to be a load of over-indulgent quips advertising them...

"simply better than any other band around"  - The Fly
"The Match of the Who in '65 or the Hives in '01" - NME
"The Rock and Roll's saviours!!!!!11" - Q Magazine
"Ass-Shaking, Soul-Bearing Genius" - Kerrang
"An Unholy Amalgam of Brit R&B, sexy stax stomp and wild motor city guitar" - Mojo

so can anyone confirm or deny these glorious lines of praise?

(apart from the worst band name I've ever heard in my life).

The Plaque Goblin

I hear their first album People Get Ready  is good but the rest suck.

TraceyQ

.... and you would be right. They often have flashes of brilliance, but in a "same thing as their last flash of brilliance" way.

Are the comparisons with the Hives and the Who anywhere justified?

Uncle Gripper

Surely they take their name from the two Can vocalists, Malcolm Mooney and Damo Suzuki.

The Plaque Goblin

Only one way to find out really...

These three tracks are from People Get Ready:

3. Make My Way
7. I Say I Love You
8. Do It
Quote from: "TraceyQ".... and you would be right. They often have flashes of brilliance, but in a "same thing as their last flash of brilliance" way.
Which probably means that after you've downloaded them you may not need to bother with anything else of theirs.

Quote from: "Uncle Gripper"Surely they take their name from the two Can vocalists, Malcolm Mooney and Damo Suzuki.

Malcolm Damo is a far better name.  and that's incredible shit.

Thanks for those files PG.

The vague Hives/Who comparisons are moderately succinct.  They're more a homage than being anywhere near as distinctive or authentic as those bands.   I like some of the "dirtier" guitar sounds and the faster pace of it all, but from what I've heard there isn't much that stands out to be honest.
I prefer a band like Jet, who just do "rock and roll" without too much gloss, and still coming across as more inventive while still trotting out the old clichés.

But I guess I'm only going on these three songs here – so slate me for being wrong.
I'm glad I've heard them though – thanks for the links.