Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,466
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:58:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"X and the X" films

Started by DukeDeMondo, August 15, 2015, 12:18:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DukeDeMondo

Quatermass and the Pit (1967, Roy Ward Baker)

Hobb's End, for fuck sake. What a name for anything. A+

Lisa and the Devil (1973, Mario Bava)

One of my top three Bava films. Extraordinary stuff. I have a lot of time for the House of Exorcism re-edit, as well, demented thing that it is.

Harry and the Hendersons (1987, William Dear)

Whole cuntload of Bigfoot films getting made these days, this is still in my top five. This, Legend of Boggy Creek (it counts, for fuck sake), Night of the Demon (1980, not 1957), Willow Creek, and Sasquatch: The Legend of Bigfoot.

Jason and the Argonauts (1963, Don Chaffey)

One of the first films I was ever obsessed with. Watched this day in and day out for fuckin years.

Night and the City (1950, Jules Dassin)

Incredible bit of Spivsploitation, one of the best film noir pictures ever made, far as I'm concerned. Brutal fight in the middle that I can't watch without wincing. Top marks.

Eddie and the Cruisers II: Eddie Lives (1989, Jean-Claude Lord)

Sequel to the Eddie and the Cruisers. Not about Bruce Springsteen. A+

X and the X films.

Brundle-Fly

What is the remit of this thread?

An 'X' film to me is Flesh Gordon (1974)

The first time I ever saw a full frontal nude female after sneaking into another screening from Herbie Rides Again (1974) next door at my local Classic cinema.

NSFW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcKvjVsYILw

holyzombiejesus

Dougal and the Blue Cat (1970).

All the characters were named after drugs and one was called Wank Stain. Well trippy.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 15, 2015, 12:28:24 AM
What is the remit of this thread?

An 'X' film to me is Flesh Gordon (1974)

The first time I ever saw a full frontal nude female after sneaking into another screening from Herbie Rides Again (1974) next door at my local Classic cinema.

NSFW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcKvjVsYILw

Fantastic! But no.

It must be Something and the Something.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 15, 2015, 12:35:31 AM

All the characters were named after drugs and one was called Wank Stain. Well trippy.

My favourite character was Fanny Pads. It's what they used to call drugs in the 80s.

Glebe

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on August 15, 2015, 12:18:34 AMQuatermass and the Pit

Jason and the Argonauts

Two absolute faves right there.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on August 15, 2015, 12:36:30 AM
Fantastic! But no.

It must be Something and the Something.

Ah, got it! On the flesh motif... and beyond...

Blumf

Jem and the Holograms who knows, it might end up being good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaPgK073xEg

Quote from: Glebe on August 15, 2015, 12:41:38 AM
Two absolute faves right there.

Which version of Quatermass and the Pit? I've always been partial to the old 50s TV version, something about the B&W production and effects seem extra creepy to me, but the Hammer one is good too.

newbridge

biggytitbo

Quote from: Blumf on August 15, 2015, 01:28:37 AM
Jem and the Holograms who knows, it might end up being good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaPgK073xEg

Which version of Quatermass and the Pit? I've always been partial to the old 50s TV version, something about the B&W production and effects seem extra creepy to me, but the Hammer one is good too.

The 50s TV version is astonishing for a BBC production of the time, largely on film, stellar production values, it rivals the film for production values. I like em both, but the original is best.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on August 15, 2015, 12:18:34 AM
Jason and the Argonauts (1963, Don Chaffey)

One of the first films I was ever obsessed with. Watched this day in and day out for fuckin years.

Thats weird, I currently have that in my memory stick and watched a bit of it the other day. I downloaded it a few weeks ago because I remember watching it when I was 5 or something. That would be about 30 years ago now. My young mind was amazed by the skeletons fighting with swords and that. Did it also have a giant wasp in it or was that from another film?

If you're into the thing and the thing films you could give The Pit and the Pendulum (1961) a go. A Corman interpretation of the Edgar Allan Poe story starring Vincent Price. Decent enough.

Kane Jones

The Sheriff and the Satellite Kid

Serge

'Lady And The Tramp' overlooked again.

Actually, I've never seen it.

Serge

Christ, I've just been looking at my DVD collection, not a single 'X And The X' movie in there. 'The Good, The Bad And The Ugly' is closest, but that's technically 'X, X And The X'. A few 'X Of The X' ones, though.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 15, 2015, 12:35:31 AM

My Sister had the LP of that when I was a kid, that fucking blue cat was terrifying, and it wasn't until Stouffer came along that I got over my phobia of them.

Shaky

The Sword and the Sorcerer (1982)

Only the film Conan the Barbarian could have been.

SavageHedgehog

Weirdly it was (at least in theaters) almost exactly as popular as Conan in the US.

Sam

The Dving Bell and the Butterfly

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 15, 2015, 08:47:37 AM

The 50s TV version is astonishing for a BBC production of the time, largely on film, stellar production values, it rivals the film for production values. I like em both, but the original is best.

There was a 50s BBC version of Jem and the Holograms?

Dr Rock

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - never saw it.

Tarzan And The Lost City - missed this one

Josie And The Pussycats - based on a old cartoon I never saw, I have also not seen this.

checkoutgirl

Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer (2011)

checkoutgirl

Harry Potter and the Tree of Nothing (200-)

chocky909

Can there be a "The" at the front?

The Serpent and the Rainbow

Crystal Fairy and The Magical Cactus

East of Eden

Beauty and the Beast - Watched the Cocteau version, expecting something amazing and magical. Just a hermit cunt with a silly hairy face.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: chocky909 on August 15, 2015, 06:50:09 PM
Can there be a "The" at the front?

The Serpent and the Rainbow

Crystal Fairy and The Magical Cactus

I think so, if only because any club that would refuse admission to The Serpent and the Rainbow for such a petty reason is no club worth a fuck.

What is totally out of the question is thecuriousorange's suggestion of Cop and a Half. Cop and the Half would be grand.

Shaky

Replies From View

Jaundice and The Gays (1986)

Shaky

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on August 15, 2015, 04:24:03 PM
Weirdly it was (at least in theaters) almost exactly as popular as Conan in the US.

Most profitable independent film of that year too, apparently. Not a great movie, but it has it's charms and there's some memorable gore.