Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,398
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:37:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sheltered

Started by Harpo Speaks, August 16, 2015, 03:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harpo Speaks

Anyone else been playing this on Steam? I imagine it's quite similar to Fallout Shelter on ios but I haven't played that.

You take control of a pixellated family living in a fallout shelter, and try to fend off the creeping inevitability of death for as long as possible.

My first family just died after 27 days, not great but still learning how to make best use of the crafting system and so on.

Don't let members of your family get so stressed that they end up hunched up in a ball rocking backwards and forwards, it's no good for anyone. Also applies in real life.

Sounds more like This War of Mine which could be interesting. Fallout Shelter is more like a general free to play thing. Very very very very light and bery little strategy to it other than just paying attention to the thing. Not that it's a bad game. It's not for me but I can see the appeal.

Harpo Speaks

Yes, that does seem to be a better comparison, This War of Mine is on my wishlist, and it looks fantastic. Sheltered is not as visually polished as TWoM, but the survival mechanic is really enjoyable.

I've just been messing around with Fallout Shelter as I hadn't realised it's just been released for Android. The only real similarity is the cutaway view of the shelter, it's definitely much lighter in tone and far more casual. Decent enough time killer as a free to play, but can see it becoming very repetitive.

Hangthebuggers

Quote from: Harpo Speaks on August 17, 2015, 08:38:16 PM
Yes, that does seem to be a better comparison, This War of Mine is on my wishlist, and it looks fantastic.

It's a fantastic game, very bleak though. Amazing soundtrack.

Big Jack McBastard

How the hell do you get water?

Big Jack McBastard

Never mind found some but now everyone is ill from food poisoning so they're voming everywhere, too tired or ill to go far enough outside, there's one bed and a toilet and no room for owt else like a mop and bucket (also no concrete for a new room) they're essentially dead in 4 days.

Not arsed now.

Harpo Speaks

How do you kill an animal you've snared? In my last playthrough I had a juicy deer trapped, but no way I could see to kill it. I presume it's something that's part of the upgraded work bench, I would have preferred to have just battered it to death with a metal pipe. I also didn't have any luck disovering any locations that weren't the three randomly generated ones that are always on your map from the start. I did send people further out to uncover more of the map, but to no avail.

On about day 4 with my second family. Great food haul from early expeditions, fucked up though because my pantry was full meaning that a few tins of perfectly good food ended up being discarded. Water situation suddenly got dire though, I think the expeditions might automatically use water even though you don't actually equip it.