Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:24:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Raspberry pi

Started by wooders1978, August 18, 2015, 08:53:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on July 15, 2016, 10:11:17 AM
This is what I've done to my Pi:

Obviously it's not finished. Might do a boast thread when it is. People who aren't cack-handed have made far more attractive cabinets. But I've had my fun, and that's all that matters. It's not on the tumble dryer any more, it's on a work bench. I'm going to make a plinth for it. One day...

If my wife ever comes to her senses and divorces me, something along those lines would help make life bearable.

Really ought to swap that flex vent for a solid pipe and elbows though.

mook

oi! lardee dah gunner graham - is that a croquet mallet you've tried to hide behind that ladder?!

katzenjammer

Either that or donkey kong

biggytitbo

Be good to play Ruff n Tumble, the underrated Amiga game on that.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: mook on July 16, 2016, 04:29:12 PM
oi! lardee dah gunner graham - is that a croquet mallet you've tried to hide behind that ladder?!
It's a broom.

Twed

Oh, 'an broom'! Oh oh, "no more buttered scones for me Mater, I'm off to play me grand piano"!

hewantstolurkatad

RE: the arcade machines, how much work would it be to get the raspberry pi broadcasting to a CRT faithfully? Would it be possible?

MojoJojo

It can output composite, so it should just be a case of getting the right lead. And software configuration to enable it, and probably some faffing with overscan and the like.

mook

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on July 16, 2016, 10:26:18 PM
It's a broom.

a broom is just a croquet mallet with spikey hair.

doppelkorn

So for this pihole thing, am I best running it on a Pi 3 rather than a zero? I assume either will run it fine, but the latter requires a bollockload of fiddly adapters.

Twed

Dunno. I already had a wifi adaptor and a microsd card, so I just put it on the Zero.

doppelkorn

OK, final question (perhaps): I've looked into running the pi headless because I don't have a spare display at home. It seems easy enough, I guess, but are there any major downsides? Am I going to run into obstacles using SSH via Windows? And can you access the Raspbian GUI?

http://www.circuitbasics.com/raspberry-pi-basics-setup-without-monitor-keyboard-headless-mode/

doppelkorn

Zetetic

Quote from: Twed on July 14, 2016, 07:26:54 PM
It's something that pairs well with in-browser ad blocking.
What's the advantage over just using in-browser ad-blocking[nb]specifically uBlock if it matters[/nb]? I suppose it might help against in-app stuff.

On a similar note, I've started messing about running Suricata in-line on my router, on any traffic trying to touch the outside world at least, set to block anything from the exploits and malware rulesets from Emerging Threats and alert on a few others. (On an HP Microserver N40L, which is coping surprisingly well.) I don't really believe it'll ever do me any good, but the false positives make me feel terribly protected.

(Edit: A couple of years ago there was more talk of building IDS/IPS into Consumer routers.)

Twed

Quote from: Zetetic on July 17, 2016, 05:27:23 PM
What's the advantage over just using in-browser ad-blocking[nb]specifically uBlock if it matters[/nb]? I suppose it might help against in-app stuff.
You can set it network-wide (set your router's DNS to the pihole) so all devices will be blocked. It will block ads outside of your browser (e.g. in Skype). It will prevent any data via any method ever leaking to ad-serving domains. It means you don't necessarily have to use somebody's ad-blocking browser extension that can read all your data on all websites.

Downsides are that you see a lot of '404 - Not Found' in place of iframe ads. I'm not sure, but I think it might have some issues blocking https and IPV6 ads. It's a good idea to pair it with an ad-blocker plugin if you want the best of all worlds.

Quote from: Zetetic on July 17, 2016, 05:27:23 PMOn a similar note, I've started messing about running Suricata in-line on my router, on any traffic trying to touch the outside world at least, set to block anything from the exploits and malware rulesets from Emerging Threats and alert on a few others. (On an HP Microserver N40L, which is coping surprisingly well.) I don't really believe it'll ever do me any good, but the false positives make me feel terribly protected.

(Edit: A couple of years ago there was more talk of building IDS/IPS into Consumer routers.)
Thanks, I didn't know about this.

Twed

Quote from: doppelkorn on July 17, 2016, 05:03:56 PM
OK, final question (perhaps): I've looked into running the pi headless because I don't have a spare display at home. It seems easy enough, I guess, but are there any major downsides? Am I going to run into obstacles using SSH via Windows? And can you access the Raspbian GUI?

http://www.circuitbasics.com/raspberry-pi-basics-setup-without-monitor-keyboard-headless-mode/
I've almost always run pis headless. No problems. Why would you be accessing the GUI on a headless machine though?

doppelkorn

Because I'm scared of the command line.

Just pulled the trigger on a Model 3. Let's see how long this lasts before being put in a drawer.

Twed

The Pihole is particularly good if you've got a Chromecast, btw. Gets the ads of all streaming videos.

Old Thrashbarg

Just bought my first Pi to give Pi-hole a go. I've meant to get one for a while to get my Plex server migrated across from my desktop (which could do with being powered down occasionally), but network-wide ad-blocking has tipped the balance. Also gives me a chance to knock together a rudimentary baby monitor in the next couple of months, which would be useful.

Twed

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on July 18, 2016, 01:36:58 PM
Also gives me a chance to knock together a rudimentary baby monitor in the next couple of months, which would be useful.
Ooh, how are you going to do that? Camera module?

This is why the pi is exciting. Yeah, I know that there is more powerful hardware for the same price, but that's missing the point. This culture of putting hardware development in the hands of schlobs like us is finally using technology to its full limits. There's no way anybody but the most hardcore electrical engineer would have "knocked together a baby monitor" ten years ago.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: Twed on July 18, 2016, 01:49:42 PM
Ooh, how are you going to do that? Camera module?

I've got a spare USB webcam lying around at the minute, so I'll probably use that to start with, alongside the motion library. And maybe a USB thermometer for room temperature sensing. And then get a simple web page put together to view a live stream, access videos recorded when motion is detected and show some logging/graphing of temperature.

Not sure a single Pi would cope well (or at all) with doing all that, along with the Plex server and Pi-hole, so I'll probably just proof-of-concept it for now and then get another one for proper use.

Quote from: Twed on July 18, 2016, 01:49:42 PM
This is why the pi is exciting. Yeah, I know that there is more powerful hardware for the same price, but that's missing the point. This culture of putting hardware development in the hands of schlobs like us is finally using technology to its full limits. There's no way anybody but the most hardcore electrical engineer would have "knocked together a baby monitor" ten years ago.

Yeah, being able to access to a machine that's so cheap and small, yet relatively powerful (and with pretty good connectivity too!) opens up so many possibilities.

doppelkorn

My next project will be so simple I'm sure even a pi zero is overkill.

Basically a room display for the office that shows how far we are through the working week in percent.

The simplest and cheapest way I could think of doing that, given my skills, is using a pi zero, a scroll pHAT, and a simple python script.

Twed

I love the aesthetic of those displays. I'd quite like to mess with one some day. Make one of those fancy pinball-machine style scrollers.

doppelkorn

It's mad to think of a computer more powerful than my old Win95 PC being solely dedicated to powering an LED matrix. You must be able to program a little PIC thing to do the same but it'd be such a PITA to learn, design a circuit, buy all the parts, solder it up, program the PIC, debug it...

Twed

And it would surely be more expensive in the long run, in terms of money and time. You'd be able to claim it was better to do it that way because it's real-time, which maybe a robot would notice.

(Wouldn't be surprised if those displays were buffered slightly anyway)

Ian Drunken Smurf

Have got one somewhere on my desk at home. Felt rather ashamed that I have never got to grips with it. The mad scientist in me is still determined to use it to make an electronic scoreboard for the cricket club - there is a website showing how to do so. I quite fancy the electronics side of it - got into trouble by bugging the staff room at school.

doppelkorn

Quote from: Ian Drunken Smurf on July 21, 2016, 05:53:02 AM
Have got one somewhere on my desk at home. Felt rather ashamed that I have never got to grips with it. The mad scientist in me is still determined to use it to make an electronic scoreboard for the cricket club - there is a website showing how to do so. I quite fancy the electronics side of it - got into trouble by bugging the staff room at school.

I wouldn't mind a link to that scoreboard site. You could also use an Arduino. blumf has said in this thread and others that the pip isn't great as a physical computing interface, and there are certainly others out there like the Arduino/Genuino, and Intel's boards, and things like the BASIC Stamp and the PICAXE, but the pi has a really active community, and, perhaps more importantly, a thriving add-on "scene".

Ian Drunken Smurf

Quote from: doppelkorn on July 21, 2016, 09:30:08 AM
I wouldn't mind a link to that scoreboard site. You could also use an Arduino. blumf has said in this thread and others that the pip isn't great as a physical computing interface, and there are certainly others out there like the Arduino/Genuino, and Intel's boards, and things like the BASIC Stamp and the PICAXE, but the pi has a really active community, and, perhaps more importantly, a thriving add-on "scene".

https://buildyourownscoreboard.wordpress.com/

doppelkorn

Cheers for that.

I'm currently having a crash course in doing some of the trickier aspects of setting up a pi headless without a linux PC to do it on. It's doable, but not easy!