Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:31:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition (and BG2)

Started by monolith, August 20, 2015, 09:23:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monolith

I always loved playing Baldur's Gate 2 as a kid but going from BG2 to BG1 I found the interface too distracting and it wasn't an enjoyable experience.

Enter Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition!

In truth it is a bit pricey for essentially the same game with an updated UI, but I've just finished my second play through and it really was marvellous. I also never completed Baldur's Gate 2 and have just started a game with my imported character from BG1 and it is so much fun. Really puts a lot of modern RPGs to shame, Skyrim feels like an empty shell comparatively with no depth to any of the characters or stories.

It's also lovely having another playthrough of BG2 having played BG1 and knowing a lot more about the characters and story. There was so much I missed on my previous partial playthroughs (I think I had gotten to around chapter 4 every other time I tried). Can't get enough of it at the moment, want to finish every single quest and have an absolute juggernaut of a character by the end (he's already pretty beastly, 18 in every stat apart from a charisma of 9).

I never had the patience to finish any of these games when I was younger but I'm going to go through all of them now, after BG2 I think I'll go for Torment.

Edit: Aside from Neera, the new characters range from bad to appalling. Neera is pretty good though.

I love these games and had a fair whack at playing them recently but just couldn't let myself fully sink into it. Same with Pillars of Eternity. Played it for a half hour and enjoyed it, but just couldn't work up the urge to really dive in.

I like the idea of introducing these games to a new generation as they carry a lot of the stuff people like about Bioware games, but I don't reckon it actually does allow too many people unfamiliar with the systems to fully give it a shot. Think 95% of its audience would be people going back from the originals.

I think I'm just becoming an old man with no time.