Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:27:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Butthole Surfers

Started by Dirty Boy, October 06, 2004, 12:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

splattermac

I've nothing to add other than I'm a fan and as such I would say just listen to all of it. Having said that they vanished from my musical tastes for years and years but I've recently gone back to them, L.A.T is my favourite by a long wispy beard dangling in acid laced porridge. Which reminds me Gibby appears in a GWAR video as a pretty fucked up individual as I remember, perhaps something to do with beards, acid and porridge.

And who could forget their cover of Donovan's 'the hurdy gurdy man'? you might want to forget it having heard it.

My favorite track from old days out skating with it on the earphones is the Sigue Sigue Sputnik like 'Human Cannonball'

I've not read the book and won't be seeking it out but if you find the article anywhere then I'll have a read.

Oh and everyone knows Orbital lifted the Sweat loaf intro for their track Satan :)

another Mr. Lizard

Yeah, I'm a big fan - although their last album from a couple of years ago was pretty desperate, and Gibby's new solo outing 'Gibby Haynes And His Problem' is not too hot despite having the best l.p. title I've heard in ages.

'Rembrandt Pussy Horse', 'Hairway To Steven' and the first album (sometimes called 'Brown Reasons To Live') are all essential, and I've got some other gems tucked away too, including a 7" picture disc on which they lurch through 'Good King Wenceslas', and their demented techno album recorded under the name 'The Jack Officers'.

There's a DVD available which features a searing late 1980s live performance and an hilarious interview conducted with the band all lying in the same bed. I've also got a clip of them on 'Snub TV' from around the same time, performing 'Jimi' and being interviewed again - Gibby takes the opportunity to inform viewers that "I've got a thermo-nuclear device. It's sticking out of my ass. I can fire it at will. At Will, and at Bill. And at Cecil".

Doesn't Gibby's dad own half of Texas or something? You can imagine the conversation round at the Haynes mansion circa 1983 - "Gibson, here's $20 million. Set up your own recording studio, do what the hell you like, but never darken these doors again, boy..."

Johnny Yesno

Butthole Surfers were great. I've only got Locust Abortion Technician too. I seem to remember Pioughd (sp?) had some good tracks on it but Hairway To Stephen (again sp?) was a bit dull. I first came across the band on SnubTV. Ahh... happy days...