Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:07:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

GamerGate is one!

Started by madhair60, August 26, 2015, 02:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

ONE LOAD OF OLD SHIT!

Anyway yeah, where are you with this at the moment?  I'm astonished it's still going.

Old Nehamkin

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear Gamergate
Women are whores

Big Jack McBastard

In between the time all this cobblers started and now what have women in the gaming industry done more: Made good games? Or shagged pathetic nerd critics to get inflated reviews?

A single successful bluff is all that's needed to prove their point if the product is good enough, put out a good game either with no mention of who or what gender came up with it or else announce it was the brainchild of some random bloke then once all the fanbois have creamed heir pants reveal it was actually a woman and serious quantities of crow would rightly be on their menu.

Just need that 'good product' making first.

Hollow

I dunno what this is?...I don't really follow the goings on in the 'industry'...it detracts from the magic a bit.

Is it about how all men are evil? And we are always being mean to women?

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Hollow on August 26, 2015, 03:04:50 PM
I dunno what this is?...I don't really follow the goings on in the 'industry'...it detracts from the magic a bit.

Is it about how men are evil?

Actually, it's about... oh, never mind.

Hollow

I gather from your comments it's about the lack or females in the games biz...and their treatment therein?

Consignia

Nah it was about when Microsoft's former CEO announced he was going to a pro videogame player.

mobias

I've read quite a bit about it, mainly via links provided my Graham Lineman on twitter as he's fairly obsessed with it, and it is all pretty fucking depressing. You can get the gist of it via wikipedia  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamergate_controversy

Dr Rock

I know nothing about it apart from what SyrianGirl says and I believe anything she says apart from when she's just agreeing with Alex Jones. Anyway its unusual for her to veer away from the topic of Syria but she does here and it seems to make sense to me. Clue: she's not a fan of 'social justice warriors'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45H25Sc6fig

Stoneage Dinosaurs

When this all comes round and happens again will it be called Gamergate 2 or Gamergategate?

Funcrusher

The debates don't mean a lot to me because I have no interest in gaming, but the Gamergate side seem to make some fair points to me, and the opposing side seems to contain a lot of identity politics dullards and tiresome killjoys.

Thursday

What have you done Madhair?

We're not actually going to do this are we?

Funcrusher

Quote from: Thursday on August 26, 2015, 10:43:47 PM
What have you done Madhair?

We're not actually going to do this are we?

Sure. It's another thread for Madnerd to complain about nerds.

ziggy starbucks

to celebrate this year of campaigning for journalistic integrity, I'm going to threaten to rape someone!

Hank Venture

I genuinely know nothing about it. Every time I've stumbled upon it I've immediately scrolled past. Boring and inconsequential in the extreme. The only thing I know is that GamerGate people are obnoxious sexists and Sarkeesian (or whatever) is an ignorant scam-artist.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Hank Venture on August 26, 2015, 11:01:04 PM
Sarkeesian (or whatever) is an ignorant scam-artist.

She's going to finish that video series one day, no really she is.

Thursday

Quote from: Funcrusher on August 26, 2015, 10:38:54 PM
The debates don't mean a lot to me because I have no interest in gaming, but the Gamergate side seem to make some fair points to me, and the opposing side seems to contain a lot of identity politics dullards and tiresome killjoys.

You've not done any real reading into this. You've glanced over it and identified with the side that's harassed and abused women because you have criticisms of internet social justice movements and relate to certain aspects of MRA movements.

There's definitely dullards on the other "side" The kind that'll jump on the public shaming/twitter outrage bandwagon. Or try-hards like Jonathan Macintosh (who produces and co-writes Anita Sarkeesian's video's) who'll complain about violence in games called "Bloodborne" or "Doom" or will cherry pick moments of sexism in games like The Witcher 3 to complain about, despite the fact that game manages to be very progressive with it's female characters in other areas.

But Gamergate is (or was as it's mostly died down unless you're someone like Zoe Quinn) about harassing women and using people who feel disaffected by left wing identity politics to claim that it's actually about journalistic integrity and fearmonger this ridiculous idea that games aiming to be more inclusive and target wider audiences is actually some leftist conspiracy to push an agenda and ruin games.

You really don't want to align yourself with them Funcrusher. I know we'll disagree on feminist topics, but trust me if you'd followed this properly, you really wouldn't want to give gamergate any credence even if they may appear to voice certain ideas you sympathize with.

Thursday

Quote from: Funcrusher on August 26, 2015, 11:06:42 PM
She's going to finish that video series one day, no really she is.

She is though. She's delivered some of the series already. She was very open about the fact that it's going to take a lot longer and the scope of what she's doing would greatly increase, and the things she's been doing (largely because of Gamergate) means it takes a lot longer.

I'm not a fan of her videos, but you'll notice that people who donated to her kickstarter don't have any complaints. Calling her a scam artist is bullshit.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Thursday on August 26, 2015, 11:09:01 PM
You've not done any real reading into this. You've glanced over it and identified with the side that's harassed and abused women because you have criticisms of internet social justice movements and relate to certain aspects of MRA movements.

There's definitely dullards on the other "side" The kind that'll jump on the public shaming/twitter outrage bandwagon. Or try-hards like Jonathan Macintosh (who produces and co-writes Anita Sarkeesian's video's) who'll complain about violence in games called "Bloodborne" or "Doom" or will cherry pick moments of sexism in games like The Witcher 3 to complain about, despite the fact that game manages to be very progressive with it's female characters in other areas.

But Gamergate is (or was as it's mostly died down unless you're someone like Zoe Quinn) about harassing women and using people who feel disaffected by left wing identity politics to claim that it's actually about journalistic integrity and fearmonger this ridiculous idea that games aiming to be more inclusive and target wider audiences is actually some leftist conspiracy to push an agenda and ruin games.

You really don't want to align yourself with them Funcrusher. I know we'll disagree on feminist topics, but trust me if you'd followed this properly, you really wouldn't want to give gamergate any credence even if they may appear to voice certain ideas you sympathize with.
What I've read doesn't indicate that it's a hate group. There do seem to be very incestuous links between some gaming journalists and developers, and the whole thing seemed to kick of when those people started the whole 'gamers are over' thing. I thought it was Sarkeesian herself who recently put out tweets about violence in Doom while she was at some convention

Funcrusher

Quote from: Thursday on August 26, 2015, 11:14:19 PM
She is though. She's delivered some of the series already. She was very open about the fact that it's going to take a lot longer and the scope of what she's doing would greatly increase, and the things she's been doing (largely because of Gamergate) means it takes a lot longer.

I'm not a fan of her videos, but you'll notice that people who donated to her kickstarter don't have any complaints. Calling her a scam artist is bullshit.

She seems to be doing other paying appearance gigs to raise her profile rather than doing the stuff she's been paid for. And she just sounds like a scam artist - there's no difference between that video where she's shilling video conferencing and today when she's selling her feminist brand, quite possibly ghost written by this Macintosh guy.

Thursday

ARGGGHHHH NO FUCKING HELL NO

Thursday

For fuck's sake madhair, I don't want to read this shite at CaB

Thursday

Sorry I'm being a cunt here because all I can do is scream and cry

Funcrusher

There's a thread going full of Pakistanis are rapists bullshit, but you're freaking out because I disagree with you about Gamergate and Anita Sarkeesian

Thursday

That's a troll thread I don't care about that.

Anyway sorry, I'll just leave, because for various reasons this really does get my blood boiling, and I don't have the patience to go over this.

kittens

is gamergate all about when people realised all games are shite?

cos they are, they are all shite and they are for losers

kittens

only losers and gays and girls like games

kittens

games are just a bunch of made up bullshit for girls, not interested

Quote from: Funcrusher on August 26, 2015, 11:22:10 PM
She seems to be doing other paying appearance gigs to raise her profile rather than doing the stuff she's been paid for. And she just sounds like a scam artist - there's no difference between that video where she's shilling video conferencing and today when she's selling her feminist brand, quite possibly ghost written by this Macintosh guy.

Quoted for truth. Notice how people who have been suckered into this nonsense just claim to be too "triggered" to formulate a reasoned response rather than demonstrate how any of it is untrue.

kittens