Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:31:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'Metal Gear?!' Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Started by brat-sampson, August 27, 2015, 10:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hedgehog90

I was thinking of getting this but the price on Steam is £44.99!!!
Fuck that I thought, I can wait...

But then I was looking at some amazon reviews for another game (Mad Max) and some helpful person was informing others of cdkeys.com.

The deal for Mad Max is a meagre £12, too good to be true possibly:
http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/mad-max-pc

And if you look for MGS5 (you have to search for it) it comes up at £33:
http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/metal-gear-solid-v-5-the-phantom-pain-pc

Whats the deal with this site? It looks pretty legit but I'm a bit worried I'll get swindled.

brat-sampson

You wont get swindled, but bear in mind this is basically some bloke selling codes either obtained from a country where the game's much cheaper or from a GTX graphics card promo or something. It'll work, but it's 'grey market'.

hedgehog90

Quote from: brat-sampson on September 03, 2015, 10:58:43 AM
You wont get swindled, but bear in mind this is basically some bloke selling codes either obtained from a country where the game's much cheaper or from a GTX graphics card promo or something. It'll work, but it's 'grey market'.

As long as it works and I'm not funding terrorism, I'm a happy camper.

Consignia

Yeah, I posted earlier a Daily Mail style thing about them bought using stolen credentials, but I think that was mostly repeated from a scare story. I've had my mind changed on it though, it's just grey market dealings. You could probably get it cheaper if you did all the legwork yourself.

Thursday

Just got a cassette of The Final Countdown, so now I'm trying to think of Gob Bluth esque things I can do while it plays.

brat-sampson

Oshi- Chapter 2.

It's different, and yet also still the same. I feel like I might be approaching the Peace Walker grinding part though...

I actually really liked the next boss. I guess I just don't like having to deal with the iDroid and manual rocket aiming while constantly under fire.

hedgehog90

I don't want to read the thread or any reviews in case of spoilers, so appols if this has been said already, but Christ this game runs well.
My PC didn't sweat a drop during my 3 hour sesh earlier on high settings. Solid 60fps, not a moments lag. It is quite remarkable that and shouldn't be overlooked, it puts every PC port I've ever played to shame. TO SHAME!

And the opening sequence is pants wettingly good. I've never enjoyed games that try to be films, but for once it worked. I was gripped from the opening notes of Bowie, and it continued to impress and excel all expectations. It felt groundbreaking is the best way to describe it, not unlike the breathtaking opening from Half Life 2.
When you and your buddy head off in the ambulance I just started chuckling because by then I was giddy.
IT WAS VERY GOOD.

Consignia

I just love it when you competely screw up a mission a few times, but then things finally fall into place and you are in out like a ninja. I did took 3 attempts to do mission 3, once cocking up guard positions, once going in guns ablazing, and finally just finding a gap in the guard's patrol, slipping into the building and extracting the target whilst "Kids in America" played on a detuned radio as I made my escape. Phenomenal experience.

It's hard to believe this is by the same person who did MGS 4. It's so disciplined and fun, unlike 4 which was cutscene followed by move to point A for next cutscene ad infinitum.

ArchieGemmel

I had one of those moments on a side-op. Had been to the base before for a main mission but had cocked it up and had to go full on assault mode but with this extraction I knew the best place to sneak in and was able to extract all the best guards and the target without being spotted once. Felt amazing.

I couldn't finish MGS4 for that reason. If you had 2 hours to play you'd spend at least 50% of that not actually playing it.

brat-sampson

Cheesed a stupidly hard mission with a first-time S rank thanks to my Intel team pointing out a climbable crack on the map. Felt good.

fit bird

The FOB  system is so tense it made me feel sick,  seeing some other bloke nicking all your hard won goodies is awful. Shot the bastard though.

Thursday

*edit* posted something in the wrong thread like a twat.

Thursday

Just finished mission 31.

Spoiler alert
Well that whole end credits, even though it clearly wasn't the end was very confusing. Also I suspect chapter 2 will be a quite a bit shorter.

Anyway I think I have to agree now about the bosses in this game. The skulls fight at the airport and the sahelanthropus fight would have been fine if they just had less health. Just made them too long and frustrating.

Still it made me laugh to get an S-Rank for after all those retries. I did the one special condition of shooting Ginger Mantis, but other than that it's funny to get a reward for "Perfect Stealth No Kills"
[close]

Bhazor

Quote from: hedgehog90 on September 04, 2015, 02:29:55 AM
I don't want to read the thread or any reviews in case of spoilers, so appols if this has been said already, but Christ this game runs well.
My PC didn't sweat a drop during my 3 hour sesh earlier on high settings. Solid 60fps, not a moments lag. It is quite remarkable that and shouldn't be overlooked, it puts every PC port I've ever played to shame. TO SHAME!

After much persuasion I was able to get my friend to let me log in to his Steam account and download the game on my ghetto chic laptop. Holy crap it runs. Not playably, at the lowest settings it runs at 18-23 fps but this is better than it has any right to be. It still looks really good just at a low resolution.

I think as much praise as Kojima gets it should be remembered the rest of his team is fantastic too. Certainly every mainline MGS game has pushed its respective hardware to the breaking point. I mean they managed to fit MGS 3 on the 3DS. It took Nintendo another 2 years just to put a fuckin' N64 on there.

Hollow

I can't fucking wait to play this, but wait I must...a year I'd say before it gets into the realms of being not stupid price.

Not spending 60 quid on any game.

brat-sampson

I've finished the game now essentially and while I've got some issues with the back half overall it's still a stunner. Also, while I say 'finished', I'm on about 60% completion so...

Going to post a minor thing here that people might want to know in advance, in Chapter 2 there's a point of no return. However, weirdly, you can skip over it/put it off indefinitely and do the entire rest of the game if you
Spoiler alert
change your emblem to feature a Butterfly. For this you need the Butterfly part unlocked then go to Customise, Emblem, Front symbol, over to Animals and down to the butterfly
[close]
. I can only assume this info was in a guide book as there's no way you'd think to do it otherwise.

Thursday

Quote from: Hollow on September 06, 2015, 10:47:13 AM
I can't fucking wait to play this, but wait I must...a year I'd say before it gets into the realms of being not stupid price.

Not spending 60 quid on any game.

60 quid?

Don't buy things from PSN unless they're on offer. I hate clutter too but

http://www.thegamecollection.net/metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain-ps4.html

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: Thursday on September 06, 2015, 12:32:03 PM

Bit of a tangent, and maybe for a different thread, but how can PSN justify some of the prices for a digital copy of the game. It's not like production of the physical copy and overheads of getting it into stores has to be taken into account.

Or is it the fact that less physical copies are being sold, (along with the usual complaints about the pre-owned market) and they claim they need to keep the digital price up to offset that?

Despite the space it takes up, I still really like having the physical copy of the game.

Hollow

Quote from: Thursday on September 06, 2015, 12:32:03 PM
60 quid?

http://www.thegamecollection.net/metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain-ps4.html

I'm so skint though, even forty would be suicidal, not that I've not starved for games before...but things have never been this bad.

Kojima finally has something to prove and I can't play...:(

Hollow

Quote from: Harpo Speaks on September 06, 2015, 01:29:01 PM
Bit of a tangent, and maybe for a different thread, but how can PSN justify some of the prices for a digital copy of the game. It's not like production of the physical copy and overheads of getting it into stores has to be taken into account.

Or is it the fact that less physical copies are being sold, (along with the usual complaints about the pre-owned market) and they claim they need to keep the digital price up to offset that?

Despite the space it takes up, I still really like having the physical copy of the game.

It's about devaluing the product though, it's a slippery slope...PSN has it cheap, shops will have to follow.

That's why Nintendo refuses to sell even it's old games that cheap...they don't want the precedent.

And greed, don't forget that, if a percentage of people are allowing the rip-off it wouldn't make fiscal sense to reduce it....ever....conversely if no-one is buying it...then why bother reducing it? Just leave it alone...

They don't really care who buys it or not...it just has to be there..cos in about one more gen...nuclear war permitting...games are going totally like that...they are going to try anyway...all this 'better for the consumer' bullshit is just as hollow as when they tried it for CD's over cartridges...no it's better for them...and it's going to happen so they can sell us stardust and get our money for a product we don't own.

We all need to resist the download market...but I'm a hypocrite....cause I've got shitloads of them, if you like the kind of games I like, it's kind of unavoidable.

Jerzy Bondov

Every mission in this ends with me scrambling over some rocks with bullets flying past my head. Except for my one perfectly executed exfiltration spoiled by an angry bear waiting at the drop zone. Good fun yeah

Consignia

I've been reading some complaints it's not Metal Gear enough. You know, none of the trade mark Kojima silliness. Frankly, I've just been evacuating zebras by fulton.

One of the things I don't like is the Mother base management. I'd rather they scraped it for more survival type stuff like in MGS3. I feel the constant  managing of resources takes you of the main game too much.

fit bird

Dont read this if youve not finished it! Very
Spoiler alert
.          inconclusive         
[close]
ending.
Spoiler alert
no resolution to the storyline about the eli kid who stole a giant nuclear robot who's also infected with a potentially catastrophic disease? They just let that go then do they?
[close]
!!!

Bhazor

I think the biggest problem in terms of writing is the bewildering choice of casting Keith Sutherland. A man who, like other examples of stunt AAA casting, is far too expensive and busy to actually do any talking on the non plot critical bits. So you end up with bizarre sequences like the birthday party where Snake just seems to be a straight up mute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC402JilOAI

Or he's having the mother of all hissy fits. It's amazing how dull he managed to make Snake compared to David Hayter. But it completely kills the personality of the game for me. David Hayter always had his tongue in his cheek because he knew how silly it all was.  Every line delivered like hes just kicked someone off a skyscraper. But here we have Ken doing an impersonation of David Hayter doing an impression of Kurt Russell.

I just can't imagine Konami spurging out to hire Kenny for a whole day just to record something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKJekzRHiUU

Consignia

It's nonsense that Kiefer Sutherland was responsible for Snake's lack of dialogue. It was a clear directorial choice. The Japanese version still has Akio Ootsuka in his long term role as Snake, and he's done the games massive amounts of dialogue or no.

I think Sutherland suits the role well. It puts a clear distance between Snake and Big Boss, and the more realistic graphic style employed. If anything, I think one of the few major hangover from old voices, Huey, has too much of a cartoony performance that doesn't fit the style well at all.

brat-sampson

Quote from: fit bird on September 06, 2015, 06:40:21 PM
Dont read this if youve not finished it! Very
Spoiler alert
.          inconclusive         
[close]
ending.
Spoiler alert
no resolution to the storyline about the eli kid who stole a giant nuclear robot who's also infected with a potentially catastrophic disease? They just let that go then do they?
[close]
!!!

Search on
Spoiler alert
Youtube
[close]
for
Spoiler alert
Mission 51, it's content Konami didn't give them time to finish
[close]

Hollow

From Ground Zeros even I would say Sutherland is superior to Hayter, who apart from good work in Solid and Snake Eater phoned it in mostly imo.

Mister Six

Quote from: Thursday on August 31, 2015, 01:22:09 AM
It's similar to Far Cry in a way. A lot of the missions (perhaps more so in side-ops where they reuse a lot of the bases) are like the enemy outposts. You scan the scene, tag enemies with your binoculars. Make your plan and then have it instantly fall apart so you just go Rambo on everyone.

One thing that makes it tricky is that enemies get wise to the fact that  you're tranquilizing everyone, even if they haven't spotted you. If it's just one soldier, it's usually okay. But after that they stop just assuming everyone's randomly falling asleep on the spot.

Okay, this is getting me interested. I dropped the MGS games after 3, which seemed to add a lot of mechanics (broken bones, eating etc) that either brought nothing to, or actively detracted from, gameplay. I also found it tooth-gnashingly frustrating to escape after being spotted, and usually ended up running through a bunch of jungle screens (shades of the old Speccy games there) with a line of guards trailing me in crocodile formation forever.

However, the promise of a proper map to explore, and more ways to tackle missions, sounds more up my street. I couldn't give a tinker's fuck about the story at this point, but I do love Kojima's insane attention to detail, and the idea of him applying that to an entire map of free-form enemy bases sounds too good to be true.

HOWEVER, I must know: does the puppy die? If the puppy dies this game can GET TAE FUCK.

Bhazor

Been thinking about it in terms of the other MGS games and it probably ranks third. It certainly plays the best with great controls and whip smart (but completely blind) AI but it does lack the level of humour, scripted set pieces and attention to detail/meta that made MGS 1 and 3 so good. Certainly the intel conversations are no where near as exhaustive. One of my niggles is the radio intel system where you can zoom in on a whatever and radio for information about it. Which is fine except its very limited. If you radio in a new soldier type you still get the generic "That's a soviet soldier" each time. Which gets really annoying when you have no idea what those back pack radios are for or why the people wearing them seem to be walking miles between bases. Likewise, trawling through the dozens of audio tapes feels like much more of a chore than going through codec conversations ever did.

That said this game Kojima finally managed the feat he's been trying since MGS2 of making all out assault very nearly as satisfying as perfect stealth. Managed a perfect stealth run last night on one of the earliest missions and the swelling still has not gone down. Did the same mission balls out, just riding D Horse straight through the middle of the base, tossed a grenade through the window of the assassination target and rode out the other side of the base before it detonated. Came.