Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:04:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'Metal Gear?!' Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Started by brat-sampson, August 27, 2015, 10:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onken

Thursday

Umm, I did this, I think there might be something wrong with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gLhiWhHe8g

Remember to Like, Share and Subscribe!

Bhazor

The question is what level of S link do you need to get Quiet to do that.

Bhazor

Was finding the game a bit easy so tried turning off the on screen markers (markers still appear on iDroid map). It completely changes the feel. It makes the game much much much tenser now that you don't have god vision. Feels much more like classic MGS stealth. Its weird the game doesn't have a hard mode option that disables it, seems like the exact type of thing the other MGS games would have as one of their dozen difficulty options.

For PC players.

Mods are just starting to emerge.

Removes build times for MB platforms
https://www.reddit.com/r/MetalGearSolidV_PC/comments/3kcjvl/mod_instant_base_building_reduced_material/

Autoshuffle for custom soundtracks
https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgearsolid/comments/3k8i57/ive_created_a_utility_that_will_shuffle_your/

Thursday

Just finished it.

Spoiler alert

The back third of this really soured me on the whole thing, replaying earlier missions on hard, the weird way story progresses. Missions just not unlocking until you randomly do a few sidequests. Towards the end there I'd unlocked mission 46 but not 45, and in googling what the problem was, I spoiled what happens. Not to mention mission 45 was complete shit anyway. It doesn't make sense that Quiet is suddenly captured, or why you're defending a fort from waves of cheap one-shotting tanks when you could just run away and it was the last real mission of the game.

I mean it was certainly a bold move what they did with mission 46, but having to go through all these beats again was just tedious.

It's clear there's been a lot of troubles behind the scenes and a lot of things have been cut which may have been beyond Kojima's control, but some of the decisions they've made have been baffling. Like an act of self-sabotage that didn't need to be made.

Also not being able to use Quiet anymore means I'm not sure I can be arsed finishing off the remaing side-ops.

The first half left me thinking "this could be on course to be my favorite game ever" Now I'm not sure I'd give it game of the year. It probably still is and I'll probably calm down later but it's so disappointing because it could easily have been better.

Anyway off to watch the thing that was cut from the game
[close]

brat-sampson

Pretty much.

Spoiler alert
I've not seen anyone who liked the ending. Consensus seems to be Konami forced the ship date and basically it released unfinished. The plot never even took the 'BB Turns Bad' route every trailer promised either. I was impressed with the oppressive tense atmosphere of suspicion in the back half, but it went absolutely nowhere. Chapter 1 in isolation I'd probably have called GOTY, but bolting on 30% of a second chapter in what looks like it was at some point meant to be a 3-act game is fucking depressing.
[close]

Bhazor

Yeah, I'm twenty hours and have only just got the first mention of Quiet (about 10 missions in) but I can definitely see the rough unfinished edges already. Big holes where the MGS elements should be. Missions have basically no hook or twist to them, there's a real lack in dialog and what dialog is there sounds bland like some placeholder, theres a lack in exciting or surprising set pieces and what set pieces are there feel untested (like the Skulls second appearance) and apparently the bosses are universally dreadful. These are all the places that MGS excels in and yet here they are looking atrophied and neglected. Meanwhile Mother Base feels like an empty server on some forgotten MMO, just miles of empty platforms with NPC guards marching back and forth repeating the same three dialogs.

In terms of a sandbox game its still fantastic and plays far better than any previous game. I've spent 3 hours replaying a single mission 5 times with different styles and had a great time. But as an MGS game it feels half there the missing parts felt through their absence. Like a phantom limb if you will.

I know its natural to blame Konami. But when it seems two thirds finished after spending $80million you can understand their frustration and fear of how much further that budget will grow given another 12 months in development.

brat-sampson

Man, I thought chapter one was actually pretty good... It does do some interesting stuff with mission structure down the line occasionally and while there are a few 'kill/extract this guy we'll never hear about again' there are more interesting ones in there too. There are definitely a couple of moments that fall completely flat when you feel they were going for something else, but overall it's really Chapter 2 that feels like it needed a ton more work.

Bhazor

Data miners have apparently discovered signs of a missing chapter along with scenes from the trailers that never appear in the actual game and a texture of Boss implying... something.

http://gamingbolt.com/metal-gear-solid-5-the-phantom-pain-is-an-unfinished-game-had-a-chapter-3-as-well.

The question now is who fucked who and in what quantity.

As an aside all the mentions of Peace Walker in Phantom Pain made me go out and buy it. I'd initially dismissed the portable games as just toilet break games with shallow approximations of the proper series. But its genuinely good so far, feels more in line with the rest of the MGS games than Phantom Pain did. Lots of stupid/hilarious/terrible dialog, more humour and every mission so far has clever gameplay quirks and twists. One mission is apparently just a dating sim. Just a more for lack of better term "one man's vision" feel to it.

The controls are arse but still.

ArchieGemmel

I'm up to episode 30 and was doing some googling to see how much more I have to go. Couid someone who has finished it help clear up something for me.

Spoiler alert
It looks like it goes up to episode 49 or so but some of these missions are the same ones as you've already done only with (extreme) or (subsistence) before them. Do you actually have to replay these missions in order to advance the story or are they skippable? I don't really fancy playing them again on a harder difficulty setting but I do want to finish the main game.
[close]

I'm still really enjoying it, about 40 hours in but seeing that there should have been more content is rather depressing if Konami really did rush it out before it was finished, as well as sacking Kojima. I did feel a bit deflated when I saw that I hadn't even finished half of the side-ops as it feels like I've done tons of them. Think I should start experimenting a bit more when I do them as they don't effect your overall grade.

fit bird

Quote from: ArchieGemmel on September 13, 2015, 10:14:48 PM

Spoiler alert
It looks like it goes up to episode 49 or so but some of these missions are the same ones as you've already done only with (extreme) or (subsistence) before them. Do you actually have to replay these missions in order to advance the story or are they skippable? I don't really fancy playing them again on a harder difficulty setting but I do want to finish the main game.
[close]

Spoiler alert
you don't have to do the repeats, you can do "side ops". Either way it's quite a tedious way to finish such a fun game
[close]

Thursday

Some of the repeat missions might be more fun than doing side-ops, but others were missions I didn't enjoy.

Also worth nothing there's a glitch that can occur if you use Quiet on mission 42, I accidentally did because she's really useful on mission 42. I wish I'd known I didn't have to do it.

Generally speaking doing 3 side ops seems to unlock a new mission.

ArchieGemmel

Thanks for the info.

I saw that at least one of them involved the convoy with the
Spoiler alert
Skulls
[close]
in which I didn't fancy having to do again on hard mode.

I agree with all the other comments about the boss fights, the one with the
Spoiler alert
Skull snipers
[close]
was fun to begin with but then became repetitive, which is the same with all the others.

Will tackle the rest over the week then probably just look up the final mission that you unlock when you 100% it on YouTube.

brat-sampson

Um, you
Spoiler alert
don't unlock anything at 100%. You can see everything there is to see (pretty much) story-wise at below 50% completion.
[close]
The last plot missions are
Spoiler alert
45 and 46, despite there being 50 missions in total. It's all a bit... odd.
[close]

For everyone who's finished the game, don't forget to check Youtube for the video about
Spoiler alert
Mission 51.
[close]

ArchieGemmel

Ah, ok I must have misunderstood something that I had read. I saw that there was a video for
Spoiler alert
mission 51
[close]
and assumed that was something you had to unlock. Good to know.

Consignia

I'm kind of stuck on Mission 31.
Spoiler alert
The boss takes ages to chip down the damage, and I get it to it's last chunk, but I make a mistake and I have to the entire health chipping again and it's got a few instant kill attacks. Are there any hints about getting more damage done without having to upgrade the rocket launcher?
[close]

brat-sampson

Hit the weak point for massive damage.
Spoiler alert
Specifically the four white gas-tank looking things on the back seem to hurt it a lot, after that the general torso area seems to be the best option. Keep supply drops dropping and just rocket away relentlessly with your best rocket. Also the railgun part's a complete arse, best bet is to hide behind a mountain...
[close]

Consignia

Yeah, that was my general strategy. I think this exactly the stuff that put me off Peace Walker. Long tedious battles with huge health bars which require constant supply requests. At least it's a bit prettier than a generic tank.

Thursday

Comment on Jim Sterlings video about quiet

Onken

All the MGSV videos looked incredible so I played Ground Zeros properly for the first time on Monday night. Earned a couple of A's and one S rank for the helicopter mission. I was going to wait till I got better at it but decided to jump in. The prologue is one of the best openings to any game I've seen.

ArchieGemmel

It's incredibly impressive. By the time the
Spoiler alert
flaming whale
[close]
showed up I was grinning ear to ear.
As much as I love the open world stuff I can't help but wish there had been some bits that were a little more linear with a few set pieces.

Consignia

Quote from: ArchieGemmel on September 16, 2015, 04:28:11 PM
It's incredibly impressive. By the time the
Spoiler alert
flaming whale
[close]
showed up I was grinning ear to ear.
As much as I love the open world stuff I can't help but wish there had been some bits that were a little more linear with a few set pieces.

Yeah a couple of narrative bits in between the open world bits would have done the world of good. Not too many, just give a bit more context to the open world missions, and to show off some Kojima Kraziness.

ArchieGemmel

That's me finished Episode 31.

Spoiler alert
That felt pretty underwhelming, you spend all that time going after Skull Face but it never really felt like he was that great of a villain. You bump into him on several occasions and he just lets you go, I was expecting some sort of reveal to his identity as well. Maybe I'll get some answers in Chapter 2 but I'm not holding my breath.
[close]

Spoiler alert
I was able to do episode 30 reasonably easy by making use of the cracks in the wall and then had a sandstorm sweep in which allowed me to sneak past the last lot of guards. Also was able to do 31 first go, although part of that was thanks to the tip on here to aim for the white tanks on the back.
[close]

Knowing that there was meant to
Spoiler alert
be a third act
[close]
which seems to have been cut out is slightly souring me on what's to come but I am looking forward to doing more missions now that I have some new weapons to play with.

Regarding
Spoiler alert
The Man on Fire
[close]
I am still expecting it to be revealed
Spoiler alert
that it's actually the mental projections of Big Boss, or something along those lines. He seems to have wounds in similar places to where the bits of shrapnel were in the X-Ray and even has a thing poking out of his head.
[close]

Onken

Does anyone bother with managing their motherbase staff?

Consignia

The best thing to is pretty much extract as many people as possible, and auto-assign everyone. You really do need some of the stuff mid-way up the tech-tree. I think there's at least one normal mission which you can't complete without the cargo fulton (It's late game, but still). I found base management a faff, but it's irritatingly necessary.

Harpo Speaks

I'd forgotten that I'm abysmal at stealth. And shooting when everything goes wrong. That said when everything does go to plan it's so satisfying.

I'm not far into the game at all, but really want to upgrade the fulton. Did one of the side missions where you have to extract a particular soldier and ended up having to do it twice after the first time round he was lost to the winds. Second attempt he just got lobbed into a helicopter instead.

I like that if you are spotted at a checkpoint and it's called in, the next checkpoint down the road will have all the guards already on alert.

Bhazor

I wish Mother Base had just been a menu like in Peace Walker. It just feels so empty and sterile as a place but I still enjoy the management aspect. Squeezing an extra level out of my research team so they can make that rocket launcher I need for the next mission is still satisfying to a boring asshole like me. But having to wander around for ten minutes to boost peoples moral is bullshit. There's just nothing to do there. No dialogs with new guards, no interaction with the few major characters, no fun VR mission stuff. I wish it worked like a training program where you could try new weapons for free or order your troops to act like enemy guards so you could try new gadgets. As it is I'm having to spend 3k a pop just to air drop and try out each of the 30-40 guns I've just spent 180k unlocking.

I think the open, empty design of Mother Base is for FOB invasion purposes, more than Farmville style busy work. I don't go back very often but when I do, I quite enjoy the hollow lonely feeling it gives. I don't imagine it would be a laugh a minute on there, in reality, and popping over to the animal sanctuary - purposeless as it is - gives me a gentle peaceful feeling, free from the  bluster of the slaves to the legend. That said, I've not invaded anyone yet, nor have I been invaded!

I've only finished chapter one and for the past week or so I've just been farming resources and building up my bases and developing gear. I've left the PS4 on for about six days so added to my FOB microtransaction expenses will no doubt be a new console.

I plan to carry on once I've developed everything. The hundred or so hours I've put in so far have been among the best I've ever spent with a game. Only the Souls series and Mario Galaxy are anywhere near this. Never Be Game Over.

Bhazor

First time on a new mission
Spoiler alert
the one where you steal or destroy 4 walker gears from the hill camp
[close]
and I got my first S rank. Perfect Stealth, no kills, no retries, no reflex, no combat alerts, both prisoners saved, 100% accuracy, 4 headshots, 2 tactical takedowns, no onscreen markers, no buddy, no resupplies, 5 diamonds, 12 resource suitcases and 4 stolen soldiers with 5 A+ skills between them. Proud? I. Fucking. Came.

I haven't been this self satisfied in a single player game in years. As much as I've complained in this thread this game is still amazing.