Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:30:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mid Morning Matters Series 2 on the way.

Started by holyzombiejesus, August 28, 2015, 06:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bacon

Quote from: Morrison Lard on April 15, 2016, 12:37:12 PM
Coogan was on Radcliffe & Maconie yesterday afnoon.

It's on the iplayer-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b075qbtp

Skip to 1h 35m for Stevey C.

Ha, the pacing of the start of that conversation reminds me of MMM series one where Alan sets up a conversation with himself. Oddly long pauses.

Rewatching this series, I don't think it holds up as well as the last one, not so many laugh out loud moments for me personally. I think I loved the first series so much because of the relationship between Alan and Zoe, watching Alan hopelessly trying to break through their professional friendship whilst constantly putting his foot in his mouth was great. The first series seemed to progress a bit more naturally too, Alan's shift in attitude towards Simon seemed more realistic. It felt like it had less of those out of context partridgisms that sometimes feel a bit shoehorned. Of course, it's still brilliant and I don't think it's any indication of a decline in quality, but I personally preferred the first series.

good times

What's the song that plays at the start of the Season 2 episodes (when it shows the website) it brings to mind Gary Numan or something.

Laughed like a hysteric for a solid two minutes at the soundbite Alan had made about hungry people in the cooking episode... no idea why, it seemed to touch something deep within me.

MoonDust

Quote from: good times on April 18, 2016, 12:58:12 PM
Laughed like a hysteric for a solid two minutes at the soundbite Alan had made about hungry people in the cooking episode... no idea why, it seemed to touch something deep within me.

Me too. All his soundbites are fantastic. Especially his "Alan's big question" in series 1 of MMM. The film version is shit, dunno why they changed it.

MoonDust

Just noticed a brilliant bit in episode 4, when Simon's massively hungover on Valentine's Day, and Alan's listing all these disgusting foods, seemingly to make Simon feel more and more sick for Alan's own kicks.

The brilliant bit I didn't notice before was that Simon only rushes off to the toilet suddenly when Alan says the line "This is Barry White, singing a song about how he - somehow - makes love to a woman."

Laughed hard.

giveover

Are there commentaries or anything other than bloopers & outtakes on the S2 DVD?

Quote from: giveover on April 29, 2016, 05:51:47 AM
Are there commentaries or anything other than bloopers & outtakes on the S2 DVD?

No, it's just the outtakes, sadly.  No deleted scenes, commentaries or anything.  Shame. 

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

I've always had the impression it was Iannucci who would put the effort into DVD extras, and as his focus hasn't been solely on Partridge, the DVDs where he's less involved tend to be less crammed with bonus content - plus, with the gradual demise of physical media, DVD features seem to have fallen out of favour generally.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on April 29, 2016, 10:30:42 AM
No, it's just the outtakes, sadly.  No deleted scenes, commentaries or anything.  Shame.

There was an interview with Enfield and Whitehouse not that long ago (pretty sure that it was with both of them) and one mentioned that on Enfield's old shows, they had a luxury of not using everything that was recorded. However, they've said that's totally all changed, production and budgets are a lot tighter and if you shoot something, it has to be in the series.

Can't say if that's happened here for sure, but Sky's budgets are tight so wouldn't be surprised.

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on April 29, 2016, 10:40:17 AM
I've always had the impression it was Iannucci who would put the effort into DVD extras, and as his focus hasn't been solely on Partridge, the DVDs where he's less involved tend to be less crammed with bonus content - plus, with the gradual demise of physical media, DVD features seem to have fallen out of favour generally.

Also, there's the associated cost of doing them.

Not sure what it's like over here, but in the States, when DVD features started taking off, people were quite happy to do them for gratis but gradually that started to change and they wanted to get paid. There was a story about Universal approaching Anchor Bay to use the special features it had included for a limited release of Repo Man (and very nice it was too) and were told that they would have to speak to Alex Cox – basically, they were trying to get the whole lot for free (IIRC, it was for special edition, so the features were going to be used as a selling point). Unsurprisingly, Cox said no until they agreed to cough up cash and some of that went to people who had contributed to those extras.   

QDRPHNC

Didn't the cast of Seinfeld did their heels in about getting paids lots for doing DVD commentaries? Seems a bit shitty to me - hang out with your friends for a few hours, and joke about the show that made you multimillionaire.

neveragain

You mean they demanded to be paid highly? Not that surprising if you consider what they got for the series. I mean, I'd do it for free but I'm not as business savvy as Jason Alexander. Plus, I wasn't involved so listeners may feel shortchanged.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

The Seinfeld cast pretty much got money for nothing doing the commentaries. Some of the most sparse and disappointingly taciturn audio tracks I've listened through.

neveragain

I know[nb]I tend to run the 'Notes About Nothing' while listening to them for added value[/nb], not condoning anything. Just saying I'm not surprised.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Ignatius_S on April 29, 2016, 11:01:51 AM
Also, there's the associated cost of doing them.

I don't think it's that, exactly, at least as far as what would be likely to appear on a Partridge DVD.  Deleted Scenes would cost fuckall to include (assuming they were already cut, it'd take one Assistant Editor half a day to uprez and conform everything for DVD), and commentaries could be done more or less for free nowadays.  The main problem with UK releases is that everything on home video has to be certified by the BBFC, which costs hundreds (if not thousands) per item, which can get expensive, and I think a lot of distributors don't see it as being financially viable anymore.  That's part of the reason everyone started using PlayUSA to get US releases, because they were the ones with all the special features while the R2 release would be "Scene Selection and Trailer!"

Ja'moke

New one-off Partridge special coming at the end of this month...

QuoteSteve Coogan is to return to the character of Alan Partridge in a new one-off spoof documentary, Alan Partridge's Scissored Isle.

The one-hour special will be broadcast on Sky Atlantic May 30th @10pm.

"From supermarket staff to payday lenders, disaffected street gangs to food scavenging 'freegans', Alan pledges to move among them; to understand them; to see the world through their eyes. And - God willing - along the way become a better citizen, a better man and a better, more sought-after broadcaster."

Talking about the new special, Steve Coogan says: "It's great to see Alan tackle the big issues of poverty and disenfranchised youth with the same clumsy ham-fistedness we would usually expect from George Osborne."

Utter Shit

Does anyone have a link to those MMM outtakes? Can't find them anywhere and I don't have whatever bollocks Sky add-on you need to watch them on your telly. Ideally a download link but stream would be fine!

Morrison Lard

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 13, 2016, 06:03:33 PM
Does anyone have a link to those MMM outtakes? Can't find them anywhere and I don't have whatever bollocks Sky add-on you need to watch them on your telly. Ideally a download link but stream would be fine!
couchtripper had to take them down cos of copyright claims, by the looks of it.

I ripped them and I'll upload them this weekend to a file host and send you the link.
Bump this thread tomorrow to remind me, if no-one's sorted it by then.

neveragain

Morrison Lard

I've sent you both PMs with the link,
if anyone else wants the out-takes send me a message.

I wont link to it in the thread, I'm already in hot water with the bizzies for my Superinj*nction outburst.

Utter Shit

Cheers big lad. They're great as well.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Glebe on February 18, 2016, 05:05:10 PM
I was wondering how that happened... this has also introduced me to Aphrodite's Child's 'The Four Horsemen'.

I loved that last episode with the Aphrodites Child outro. Quite immense really.

grainger

Quote from: good times on April 18, 2016, 12:58:12 PM
What's the song that plays at the start of the Season 2 episodes (when it shows the website) it brings to mind Gary Numan or something.

It's Georgia by OMD.

Ferris

Finally watched the second season, I have no idea why I've never seen it before. I had a dull memory of watching it? I'd seen the first episode but that was it. Unforgivable.

Anyway, great material. Very funny. Would like to hear people's thoughts on the final frame of the season, but not if everyone's discussed already and I'm being boring. No spoiler tags because this has been available for 2 and a half years.

(Deffo a Jesus & St Peter thing).

magval

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 28, 2018, 01:53:42 AM
Finally watched the second season, I have no idea why I've never seen it before. I had a dull memory of watching it? I'd seen the first episode but that was it. Unforgivable.

Anyway, great material. Very funny. Would like to hear people's thoughts on the final frame of the season, but not if everyone's discussed already and I'm being boring. No spoiler tags because this has been available for 2 and a half years.

(Deffo a Jesus & St Peter thing).

Here's the original thread. Discussion starts at this page - https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,49588.120.html

Worth remembering that this was originally broadcast during Easter week that year. That wee detail is lost to time now, unfortunately.

Ferris

Quote from: magval on December 28, 2018, 08:34:02 AM
Here's the original thread. Discussion starts at this page - https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,49588.120.html

Worth remembering that this was originally broadcast during Easter week that year. That wee detail is lost to time now, unfortunately.

I read through this thread, but the whole series only garnered a few pages of discussion so assumed I'd missed a meatier discussion somewhere else. I guess not!

I liked it anyway.

magval

There's another bit in that series where Alan uses the phrase "Easter baddies".

I like it OK, the whole exile and return thing and that mad final shot, but I can't think of a reason why they did it. It feels very much 'just because'. Surely symbolism of that sort should tie into a greater comment about the character, some wider presentation, but no. Abandoned.