Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:10:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Films with Freeze Frame endings.

Started by Absorb the anus burn, August 30, 2015, 12:54:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Absorb the anus burn

The other evening I had the misfortune of seeing twenty minutes of a terrible Fatal Attraction-esque thriller called Obsession (starring a wooden Beyonce 'Know-Alls' and embarrassed Idris 'Elbow'). The film had no merits whatsoever, but did end with a freeze frame...

Share with me cinephiles, your favourite freeze frame endings...

Here are two of mine.

[nb]This one always annoyed me...

I really liked the film twenty years ago, but it seems like a cop out.[/nb]

Catalogue Trousers

Rocky III is a pretty duff film, but I do like the freeze frame ending to that which fades into the so-crap-it's-great "action painting" tracked by the so-crap-it's-great Eye Of The Tiger.

Bad Ambassador

Noodle Lizard

Brundle-Fly

Mister Six

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on August 30, 2015, 01:11:07 AM
80s freeze frames

Nice to see Beverly Hills Cop in there, as that's the one that sprang immediately to mind. Also, the ending to Breathless is wonderfully baffling, and I hope never to find out the context.

Dr Rock

Hollow

Quote from: popcorn on August 30, 2015, 05:41:16 AM

Extraordinary, especially with the blast of sax. (1:30 in)

Isn't that Ted Striker?

Serge

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on August 30, 2015, 01:50:12 AM
Probz my fav

WHAT DO IT MEAN LOL

I always interpreted it as an opium-induced hallucination where he sees his entire life play out before him, and laughs at what a wild merry-go round the whole thing has been.

BlodwynPig

I'm sure Michael Mann's The Keep has a freeze frame ending alongside the Tangerine Dream score. The video on youtube is the extended TV cut, which doesn't seem to have the same ending.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on August 30, 2015, 04:12:12 PM
I always interpreted it as an opium-induced hallucination where he sees his entire life play out before him, and laughs at what a wild merry-go round the whole thing has been.

"Ah, what a lovely rape"

non capisco

Quote from: Dirty Boy on August 30, 2015, 09:59:18 PM
Threads.

Just horrible. brrrr.

The most chilling and disturbing end to any film ever, yes, but the filling within her screaming mouth does at least show that competent dentistry is alive and well years after the apocalypse. You've got to cling to something, haven't you? Fuck me, fucking Threads. 

Noodle Lizard

What about Sleepaway Camp?  I think that counts.

Hollow

Glebe

Quote from: Hollow on August 30, 2015, 11:47:06 PM

What's the film, Hollow? Coz that looks like I something I remember seeing as a kid and my dad going "I've seen this before, don't look at this."

Hollow

It's the wonderful knock-about romp, Threads.

BlodwynPig

Yes, The Keep definitely had a freeze-frame ending:

QuoteSomething about the film definitely worked for me, and it chillingly stuck in my brain long after the film ended. The music. The settings and visuals. The two opposing sides of the German army. The foreboding way Eva looked back at the keep in the freeze frame ending, but was actually looking into the camera at the audience. Sure, I was wondering about what happened to the otherworldly beings Glaeken and Molasar at the end, but it was also as if the film had presented to me a fairy tale of fascism and the shifting good and evil sides of mankind in its self contained world, with Eva as the moral middle ground, then had her point the finger back at the audience with that stare.

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Hollow on August 30, 2015, 11:47:06 PM

Raquel cowers in the corner after another right-hander from Del Boy.

Serge

Quote from: Captain Z on August 30, 2015, 11:54:45 PM

ARGH! Much as I love 'Lock, Stock...', that ending has always annoyed me. At the time (and since, for all I know), it was written about as being the best cliffhanger ending since 'The Italian Job', but it isn't - there's no reason whatsoever for Tom to put his mobile in his mouth other than to contrive that ending. If he wanted to stop it from falling out of his pocket into the river, just put it down on the fucking bridge!!

Bobby Treetops

Rats: Nights Of Terror

Spoiler alert
Oh come on, don't let those men in space suits who've come to rescue them, actually turn out to be mutated rat people. It's not going to go there is it?
[close]
For fuck sake it is as well.

As mentioned before Sleepover Camp is hard to beat.

Catalogue Trousers

non capisco

Yes, and it's Rats: Night Of Terror, not Rats: Nights Of Terror.

Cuh! You're a disgrace, mate.