Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:06:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Photo print advice requested.

Started by Frazer, August 31, 2015, 11:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frazer

Comrades, there's a photo I'd like to buy from mirror-photos.co.uk but I need some advice from anyone who has knowledge of such things or experience of buying from the site. The two formats I'm looking at are:

QuoteFine Art Print
828mm x 594mm. The popular paper chosen by photographers to create high quality Fine Art Prints.
The fine, smooth surface and feel make this paper very versatile and it is ideal for printing photographs and art reproductions with impressive pictorial depth.
Giclee printing is used by many museums and art galleries throughout the world. This high quality printing technique is achieved with a combination of state of the art inkjet heads placing the finest droplets of ink onto a variety of textured Fine Art graded papers.
100% acid free, PH neutral with archival properties.
£150

and

QuotePhotographic Print
Printed on 762x508mm archive quality paper for unrivalled stable artwork permanence and brilliant colour reproduction with accurate colour rendition and smooth tones.
£30

The Fine Art Print is 5 times the price of the Photographic, does the difference in quality justify the massive price difference? Thanks in advance.

Dex Sawash

I woukd guess if I didn't know already that I wouldnt see it.
I'd have a go at the £30 one and see if I could live with it but my wallet says

ONE BAD CHEAP MOTHERFUCKER

chocky909

The only way you'll know is if you buy both. That's my advice. Also show us what the photo is.

greenman

The more expensive one might last better but your likely talking decades before you'd notice a difference, the resolution would likely be a little better(although maybe not much if its a large print as a lot of Newspaper shots aren't going to have amazing quality) as well although again probably a small difference.

I would guess the most notable difference might well be the finish of the paper used, Giclee prints are generally(but not always) printed on matt paper where as regular prints will tend to be on gloss or luster(pimpled gloss). Gloss and to a lesser degree luster will all else being equal have more contrast to them, a lot of what you pay for with Giclee printing I'd image is extra quality to get the same performance on matt paper. The disadvantage is that they reflect more light so maybe consider whether the photo is going to be hanged, is light reflection an issue?

Frazer

Thanks a lot for the advice lads, reckon I'll go for the cheap option. Reflection would've been an issue but my walls are shockingly bare considering how long I've lived in this house[nb]COS I'M ONE BAD CHEAP MOTHERFUCKER[/nb] so another, less sunny wall will do.

For your curiosity chocky: