Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:25:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Z Nation Season 2

Started by Small Man Big Horse, September 12, 2015, 10:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Season 1 thread - http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=45203.0

For those who haven't seen it so far: It's a post Zombie apocalypse America, and wondering about it is an ex-con called Murphy who was experimented upon by government scientists and is now half man half zombie. A group of do-gooders are trying to get him to California where Doctors can use his blood to create a vaccine, if they're still alive at least.

It's all a bit daft without a doubt, but the pace of the show has to be admired. The Walking Dead would spend an entire season doing what this show does in an episode, for instance this starts with
Spoiler alert
nuclear bombs going off all over the place and
[close]
the group has been separated, but by the end they're all back together and bar the annoyance
Spoiler alert
of a bit of fallout lurking about and Murphy trying to kill them
[close]
they're back on the mission. Meanwhile Murphy's able to control zombies so he makes them
Spoiler alert
lez up a bit and do a rather dangerous stripping routine
[close]
(I kid you not) and help him on a
Spoiler alert
day's out shopping. Oh yeah, and to kill people if they start to annoy him.
[close]

It's a shame in some ways that they didn't use the
Spoiler alert
nuclear explosions to kill off the main cast and
[close]
have it all centre around Murphy, who's easily the best character and the show's always really fun when he's on screen, but hey, at least the other leads in this are a lot more interesting than any of the cast of The Walking Dead, and for me it's easily a far more enjoyable and superior show.

Hollow

Too many spoiler tags...no-one else is watching it don't worry.

Pretty 'rubbish' first episode...they're all kinda rubbish...The Asylum eh?

It's fun though, which is something TWD can't manage.

kidsick5000

Not quite sure how they only came to use very "light" nukes.
Also not sure about the blue make-up on Murphy.
I also thought Mac had been shot dead by the commune.
But I'm glad it's back.

Hope they keep the same refreshingly brutal approach to character longevity

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Hollow on September 13, 2015, 02:07:01 PM
Too many Spoiler tags...no-one else is watching it don't worry.

Pretty 'rubbish' first episode...they're all kinda rubbish...The Asylum eh?

It's fun though, which is something TWD can't manage.

That's probably fair enough on the Spoiler tags, though in general I tend to use them for the first couple of days after an episode's aired. That's just me though... Anyhow, I don't know, I wouldn't call it rubbish exactly, I mean the scene with Murphy going clothes shopping and pissing about with the stripper zombies was genuinely amusing (and not something I'd ever seen before in any zombie show or film), and he gets some great dialogue too. The rest of the cast are a bit naff at times, but even then they provide some fun, plus the zombie killings tend to be fairly imaginative and enjoyable. DJ Squall's character is fucking rubbish though, I'm hoping that he gets killed off soon (though I'd like to see the dog survive somehow, I'm not that evil a man).

Quote from: kidsick5000 on September 13, 2015, 02:14:59 PM
Not quite sure how they only came to use very "light" nukes.
Also not sure about the blue make-up on Murphy.
I also thought Mac had been shot dead by the commune.
But I'm glad it's back.

Hope they keep the same refreshingly brutal approach to character longevity

Yeah, the nukes not really affecting anyone close to them (despite supposedly killing off millions according to lead black woman) was an odd decision, and Murphy's make up is poor, sometimes it seemed fairly grey, at others blue, so I'm not sure what's going on there...

El Unicornio, mang

I tried to watch this show, got through the first two episodes but I absolutely hated it. Not my type of humour at all, didn't like any of the characters, and don't like the super low budget feel of it. I've spoken to a few people who love it, but it doesn't have the broad appeal of Walking Dead.

Head Gardener

shit, I'd never even heard about this til my 2 doors up neighbour told me about it
so am gonna torrent the ass out of it and getting stuck in tonight, so cheers for the heads up

Hollow

This show while not the best to start with has descended into parody...Zeeweed? Plant Zombies? Zombie in utero babies? Mexican Gangsters? Decapitated zombie heads talking with no lungs or diaphragm?

The two episodes preceding this one were just protracted shoot outs...lazy shit.

I would not be surprised if someone jumped over a zombie shark next week...not that I'll be watching it happen if it does...I'm out.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Hollow on October 05, 2015, 09:33:54 PM
This show while not the best to start with has descended into parody...Zeeweed? Plant Zombies? Zombie in utero babies? Mexican Gangsters? Decapitated zombie heads talking with no lungs or diaphragm?

The two episodes preceding this one were just protracted shoot outs...lazy shit.

Yeah, I know what you mean, I enjoyed the first episode of the season but the last two have been fairly weak. The whole zeeweed plotline has been embarrassing and whilst the swamp thing-esque plant zombie amused, it felt like a very wasted opportunity. And I've no interest in the shoot out nonsense, especially when you get that sort of thing in so many other shows.

QuoteI would not be surprised if someone jumped over a zombie shark next week...not that I'll be watching it happen if it does...I'm out.

I'm sticking with it for a while yet as it plays with fun ideas sometimes, but it's not a show I'm that excited about anymore.

Small Man Big Horse

See I was losing faith in this a bit but the fourth episode reminded me why it can be so much fun. I loved the whole labour section, along with the addition to the cast of a weird ass semi-zombie kid. Plus seeing Murphy bond with it and not be too bothered that the Mum's just been torn apart section was oddly sweet, whilst the anthrax plotline gave the episode a bit more depth, with plenty of fun zombie killing but without the annoyance of dealing with other shit humans. Oh yeah, and the big fuck off cheese wheel running gag. That was fantastic stuff.

Small Man Big Horse

This has carried on being pretty strong over the last few episodes, the highlights being the
Spoiler alert
big fuck off cheese ball
[close]
killing loads of zombies, and the plan to get the
Spoiler alert
Grand Canyon
[close]
filled up with the undead. Then there was the Roswell episode, which was pleasing batshit mental, though I'm kind of pleased
Spoiler alert
it didn't turn out to be aliens
[close]
in the end.

kidsick5000

I know that they're essentially doing an Irwin Allen Zombie Show, so it's the never reached objective, but they might just need to switch it up a bit. Maybe put a fork in the Murphy story?
Otherwise it's starting to feel like another week, another bunch of rednecks. I'm checking in less

kidsick5000

Anyone else stuck with it?
I went back to it.
The last handful of episodes got away from the redneck bounty hunter thing and back to pushing the plot to the next phase.
I'll still be interested to see where they take it next
Spoiler alert
(is that China or Best Korea that invaded?)
[close]