Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:55:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Weird moments in mainstream cinema

Started by Bhazor, September 14, 2015, 09:33:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bhazor

By mainstream I mean those films that would be shown in normal non arthouse cinemas. Films you'd see reviewed in small town newspapers. By weird moments I mean things you just don't expect a Hollywood film to get through the 7 rings of focus testing, things like in Red Dragon where the blind woman fondles a sleeping tiger's cock and balls and it cuts to her and the killer with a dreamy aroused smile on their faces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OycdPZB9K48

This topic make any sense? And post.

popcorn

I maintain that the presence of the Goldfinger Aston Martin (complete with gadgets) in Skyfall is a stroke of postmodern madness I am amazed they put into the movie.

biggytitbo

The split beaver in Basic Instinct is kind of crazy when you think about it.

garbed_attic

Just all of Return To Oz.

It has a friendly sidekick character modeled after an EST machine! Toto is replaced with Belinda the chicken! The wheelers!

Genuinely one of the oddest and most troubling films I've seen. Shits all over Fantastique Planet![nb]I actually rather like Fantastic Planet[/nb]

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: gout_pony on September 14, 2015, 08:18:12 PM

It has a friendly sidekick character modeled after an EST machine! Toto is replaced with Belinda the chicken! The wheelers!

Genuinely one of the oddest and most troubling films I've seen. Shits all over Fantastique Planet![nb]I actually rather like Fantastic Planet[/nb]

Extensively dissected and exposed as an MKUltra mind control vehicle.

biggytitbo

Quote from: gout_pony on September 14, 2015, 08:18:12 PM

Absolutely, I've said it many a time. Far more disturbing on a deep pyscological level than most proper horrors.

Rolf Lundgren

The reveal of George Clooney
Spoiler alert
making a dildo chair
[close]
in 'Burn After Reading'.

newbridge

There is a Seth Rogan movie called Observe and Report that I thought was going to be more along the lines of Paul Blart except in this movie he rapes a drunken Anna Farris and then graphically murders a guy at the end.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: newbridge on September 15, 2015, 03:37:45 AM
There is a Seth Rogan movie called Observe and Report that I thought was going to be more along the lines of Paul Blart except in this movie he rapes a drunken Anna Farris and then graphically murders a guy at the end.

Wow, wait a minute, I do not remember a rape scene in that movie at all!  Granted it's been 5 years or so since I saw it, but I'm sure I'd remember that.

DukeDeMondo

If I mind right the lass is in his car, either drunk or drugged or both, and as she's passed out he starts gropin at her. I think it maybe cuts away before he puts his knob anywhere, but it's at least suggested that he shags her. He might even say so at one point. Fairly repugnant stuff.

samadriel

As I recall, she passes out during the act, and it's his failure to stop that's seen as objectionable (then he does stop, and she wakes back up, cusses him out and tells him to keep going).

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: samadriel on September 15, 2015, 07:58:32 AM
As I recall, she passes out during the act, and it's his failure to stop that's seen as objectionable (then he does stop, and she wakes back up, cusses him out and tells him to keep going).

Oh yeah, I vaguely remember that.  Never struck me as particularly outrageous.  I remember the film being shite, however.

Bhazor

Glebe

I think it was Total Film that did a list of 'weirdest films ever' or something some years back, Batman Returns made an appearance... for a family blockbuster it is pretty fucking freaky, actually; not just the usual crazy Burton gubbins but a kind of S&M theme running through it too (still have a mega-crush on Michelle Pffeifer's Catwoman, actually).

The 1990 Mathew Broderick film The Freshman seems like a film that has no idea how weird it is, if that makes any sense. On the surface it's some knockabout farce but the whole thing seems so off. He plays a college student who ends up working for Marlon Brando (reprising his Vito Corleone role in all but name) and ends up getting embroiled in some conspiracy that involves the upper classes getting together and eating rare animals. Seems like something that may have started life as an inspired satire but got butchered by rewrites and studio interference and resulted in this bizarre mess. Or maybe I was just blunted when I watched it.

Hollow

newbridge

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on September 15, 2015, 03:27:09 PM
Oh yeah, I vaguely remember that.  Never struck me as particularly outrageous.  I remember the film being shite, however.

I don't mean to say I found it particularly outrageous, but it is quite dark in the sense that she is beyond incapacitated slash partially unconscious, i.e. rape by any definition. (Which is deliberate, because the filmmakers are showing how much of a sociopath the character is.) Certainly not what I was expecting going into the movie.

Noodle Lizard

Ah I don't remember.

On that note though, the whole S&M male rape sequence in Pulp Fiction is pretty fucking odd when you think about it[nb]one of the weirdest on-screen rapes[/nb].  I think I already knew about it when I saw it the first time, but imagine going to the cinema in 1994 to see John Travolta kicking ass and then seeing that about an hour in.

The infamous nightmare tunnel sequence in Willy Wonka as well.  What the fuck was that about?

newbridge

Here's a high quality clip (not to derail the thread with this dumb movie): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=254J0OzG23U

I hope as many families as possible mistakenly went to see this thinking it was Paul Blart

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: newbridge on September 16, 2015, 03:47:44 AM
Here's a high quality clip (not to derail the thread with this dumb movie): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=254J0OzG23U

Fuck, that's not how I remember that scene at all. Nor how anyone else remembers it, looks of things.[nb]Still every bit as obnoxious, mind.[/nb] Gettin proper Kurosawa in here now.

https://youtu.be/ZOBGGfacwYc

Deanjam

Young Sherlock Holmes. When young Watson hallucinates the cakes coming to life. Especially the bit where two cakes ram a third into his mouth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPHa31JpWAM

Brundle-Fly

That weird hallucinatory dream sequence in The Elephant Man (1980)  Christ, that is a great film.

monolith

Quote from: newbridge on September 16, 2015, 03:47:44 AM

I hope as many families as possible mistakenly went to see this thinking it was Paul Blart
In all fairness, he does stop when he thinks she is unconscious, he only carries on once she asks him to.

I mean I personally wouldn't have dragged the half unconscious girl to bed in the first place but she seemed pretty happy about the whole situation.

kngen

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on September 16, 2015, 03:21:58 AM

On that note though, the whole S&M male rape sequence in Pulp Fiction is pretty fucking odd when you think about it[nb]one of the weirdest on-screen rapes[/nb].  I think I already knew about it when I saw it the first time, but imagine going to the cinema in 1994 to see John Travolta kicking ass and then seeing that about an hour in.

That was the first thing that sprung to mind. I was that chap at the cinema in 1994, thinking: 'Well this has certainly gone off in a direction I really wasn't expecting. Ulp! ....'

EDIT: I remember having a conversation with a friend a few years after, someone who would maintain an annoying world-weary persona where nothing excited or moved him, and everything was old hat. I was saying much the same as above - that I can't remember being so wrong-footed by a film, and how weird, yet thrilling, that feeling was. His reply was along the lines of: 'Ahh, I kinda saw it coming!' I'm sorry, what? You big lying bollocks!!!

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1982) version includes a few:
A nude woman, really an alien, outdoors at night, hissing like a cat at the two fugitives.
Tall Donald Sutherland laying out a small old woman with one punch (though she is really an alien and he knows that).
A dog approaches the two fugitives, on a night street, barking in a friendly way-then you see it has a boy's face.
A scene with a figure with a long, hooked nose and broad hat, seen, in silhouette, creeping slowly up on someone in semi darkness, behind a green-tinted semi-transparent screen.

olliebean

The erect penis in 15-certificate mainstream comedy Spy was unexpected, and not in a good way.

non capisco

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on September 27, 2015, 06:35:29 PM
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
A dog approaches the two fugitives, on a night street, barking in a friendly way-then you see it has a boy's face.

<PEDANT> It has the face of the adult, possibly homeless, guy you saw earlier in the film sitting with his dog and playing the banjo. They'd presumably fallen asleep together and fused as one within the pod. And it's from 1978

The oddest thing in that film for me is the wordless cameo from Robert Duvall at the start, playing a priest on a swing. I love that film so much, one of my all time faves. So eerie right from the first frame.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

The blowjob dream in the original Ghostbusters. Hard to believe that was a family film.

I suppose Gremlins 2, but that's really a try-hard attempt at a "weird film".