Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:39:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Weird moments in mainstream cinema

Started by Bhazor, September 14, 2015, 09:33:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Some of the Roger Moore JB films were all over the place.

Paaaaul

Quote from: non capisco on September 27, 2015, 08:31:20 PM
<PEDANT> It has the face of the adult, possibly homeless, guy you saw earlier in the film sitting with his dog and playing the banjo. They'd presumably fallen asleep together and fused as one within the pod. And it's from 1978

A little earlier in the film, you see a pod growing next to the guy and his dog as they sleep. It gets kicked by Donald Sutherland as he pushes past having failed to wake the guy. As Sutherland runs off, the pod starts to ooze as it has been damaged. This causes the pod to create the man-dog.

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on September 27, 2015, 08:46:23 PM
I suppose Gremlins 2, but that's really a try-hard attempt at a "weird film".

Is it fuuuuuck

monolith

The blowjob dream in the original Ghostbusters. Hard to believe that was a family film.

As a child I thought he was having a nightmare and the ghost was trying to hurt him.

I also didn't know what the word "Asshole" meant when it is said in the film and asked my child minder. She got pissy with me when I persistently asked in front of one of her kids (who she presumably didn't want to hear the word "asshole"). Assholes.

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

The sword demonstration from Far from the Madding Crowd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGWUt0wgHg0

I like when you think he's going to be all brooding and elegantly swift but then he just runs at her screaming YAAAARGHH

Noodle Lizard

I suppose Gremlins 2, but that's really a try-hard attempt at a "weird film".

Gremlins 2 is an incredible film, ya bumboclaat.

GeeWhiz

[UBER-PEDANT] The noise of the dog / man isn't a bark, but a dispiritingly perky banjo twang. Almost the most unsettling aspect of the whole encounter. Urrrgh.

Dr Rock

The bit in the cave in Dagobah in ESB confused many a kid, who took things literally. I remember some at school arguing about it, I think some thought Luke had fought a robot Vader there, and thus all part of Darth's plan or something.

Theatre of Blood: the last Robert Morley (and poodles) scene; the woman's hair-curling machine death; Arthur Lowe's head on a milk bottle.

Though not weird as such, Michael Hordern's character getting hacked to death by the drunk tramps in the old building, in that film, is pretty shocking.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: kngen on September 27, 2015, 06:10:25 PM
That was the first thing that sprung to mind. I was that chap at the cinema in 1994, thinking: 'Well this has certainly gone off in a direction I really wasn't expecting. Ulp! ....'

EDIT: I remember having a conversation with a friend a few years after, someone who would maintain an annoying world-weary persona where nothing excited or moved him, and everything was old hat. I was saying much the same as above - that I can't remember being so wrong-footed by a film, and how weird, yet thrilling, that feeling was. His reply was along the lines of: 'Ahh, I kinda saw it coming!' I'm sorry, what? You big lying bollocks!!!

It was Tarantino's nod to Deliverance (1972) apparently. Well, that's what he said in an interview at the time.

Talking of Deliverance , the duelling banjos is quite a weird moment. I'll expect you're all wondering what happened to the hillbilly kid (Billy Redden) from that sequence? Wonder no more.

https://boingboing.net/2013/11/04/deliverances-inbred-banjo-bo.html

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on September 28, 2015, 08:49:35 AM
Gremlins 2 is an incredible film, ya bumboclaat.

This is CaB. We tear down all false icons.