Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:27:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cover Versions You'd Like To See (or more accurately hear)

Started by Silver SurferGhost, October 08, 2004, 01:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver SurferGhost

You know how it is.
There's a band or soloist, and there's a song you think they'd have made an interesting job of covering, and for some reason they just didn't, no matter how many threatening letters in red biro on blue notepaper you sent them.

Mine, very much off the top of my head (some obscure ones, but then I am an elitist):

The White Stripes
- Song of a Baker (small faces)
                         - Wicked Messenger (Dylan via the Faces)
                         - The Remarkable Saga of the Frozen Dog (Blossom toes)
                         - Look At Me I'm You (Blossom Toes)
The Stranglers    
- These Boots Are Made For Walking (Nancy Sinatra)
Viv Stanshall
- Jailhouse Rock (LOL NO King)
Robyn Hitchcock  
- Maisie (Syd Barrett)
                          - Jesus (Velvet Underground)
                          - Crippled Inside (John Lennon)
Paul Weller          
- Debris (Faces)
Nick Cave and Anita Lane
- Bedazzled (only this time they should do it THE RIGHT WAY ROUND)

Yours?

EDIT to be slightly less elitist

MrManson

Dillinger Escape Plan - Enjoy The Silence (Depeche Mode)

2 Unlimited - Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen)

Metallica - God Save The Queen (Sex Pistols)

As for cover albums I've enjoyed;

Tori Amos' Strange Little Girls is brilliant.

(I just noticed Strange is one letter away from strangle... Strangle Little Girls?)

falafel

I reckon The Strokes would pull off a masterly version of Brazil. I really do. Just imagine it.

I think the best cover versions are the ones that sound absolutely nothing like the original.  There's nothing worse than someone covering a song you love, and yet managing to murder it whilst essentially doing it in exactly the same way.  You'd think it wasn't possible, but the likes of Busted, Marilyn Manson and No Doubt have proved it can be done.  I guess what I'm essentially saying is that I can contribute no further to this thread, because I like to see an artist doing something I wouldn't expect with a song, and therefore I can't say which artist would sound good doing which song because I strive for the unpredicatble.  So see yuh.

RHX

Any lounge singer - Red Hot Car (Squarepusher)

William Shatner - Slow Jamz (Twista)

Metallica - Fuck The Police (NWA)
Metallica - Yeah (Usher)

Portishead - Whiskey In The Jar (Thin Lizzy)

The Offspring - Oblade Oblada (The Beatles)

Fuckwittio

I would love to hear The Pixies do a cover version of The B-52's entire first LP. You wouldn't think there's anything linking those two bands, but listen closely to The B-52's (1979) & see if you can spot it's influence on Bossanova. Maybe I'm fucked in the head, but I'll be damned if Joey & frank don't own a copy of it.

I'd also like to hear Tupac's 'Hit 'Em Up' sung by a woman. Just because.

Des Nilsen

I think Green Day could knock out a nice pop-punky cover of Pink Floyd's 'Arnold Layne'.
(At least, I've long wanted to do a punky version myself, but if we're naming bands, then Green Day have the dynamic potential. Billy Joe Armstrong's voice would suit it well, I think).

-

another Mr. Lizard

Quote from: "Fuckwittio"I would love to hear The Pixies do a cover version of The B-52's entire first LP.

Excellent suggestion!

I always liked The Wedding Present's cover versions, especially those on the b-sides of their infamous '12 singles in 12 months' campaign, and considered that they might carry off a tremendous jangly 100 mph version of 'Put A Little Love In Your Heart' by Eurythmics - can't you just hear those frantic guitars, sounding like a fire engine's bell, with Gedge spitting out the lyrics in clipped broad Yorkshire?

Silver SurferGhost

I'm hesitating to bump up another covers thread (three on one page, bliminey cricket!) but...
Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"what he wrote up there, five posts up, look
It's a fair point, Dave Gregory of XTC for example deliberately produces note-perfect exact reproductions of various Sixties greats (Tin Soldier and the like) in his spare time, which is fine until they actually get released. Which some of them have been. He doesn't murder them as such, but they are (as one journo described them) 'boringly literal'. I really don't see the point in those either.

MrManson: Dunno if you know, Strange Little Girl is a Stranglers song?

eric claptop

I think the Beta Band would do a splendid job of Chickory Tip's "Son of my Father". For starters, it sounds as if Steve Mason is singing it anyway but to hear their take on such an electro-glam-stomper would surely be pure joy.

Also...

The Flaming Lips should do a brain altering version of Scott Walker's "Boy Child". Mmmmmm, just think about it!

tetoffender

Quote from: "eric claptop"
The Flaming Lips should do a brain altering version of Scott Walker's "Boy Child". Mmmmmm, just think about it!

On that note, I reckon  the Flaming Lips could do a pretty useful version of The Rolling Stones' "She's A Rainbow", as well.

I'd like to hear the Strokes do a cover version of the Theme to The Muppet Babies, as the thought of it has just popped into my head as the most ridiculous thing I could think of and yet, it sounds fantastic on my head stereo.

Lumiere

I'd like to see QOTSA do a cover of 'Rainy Day Women' by Bob Dylan.