Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,494
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:56:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

I thought the idea that search engines are gatekeepers in the same way that a TV executive is was absolute nonsense. They are both barriers in their own way, and wealth/power make them less so, but getting top ranking in a search engine is a million miles separated from a person saying "no" in terms of basic mechanics and economic mobility.

ASFTSN

I was being genuine since I feel like I'm under-informed on decent sources in today's huge information overload, and that properly depresses me, but ok cheers.

Twed

Sorry, I read it in a cunty way and responded even cuntier. Hold on a sec then

Twed

I honestly don't feel like I could give a satisfactory answer. Most voices I value are very small, largely social media based people who put food on the table through freelance writing for bigger papers. I think by the nature of it all, morally-guided, activist journalism lacks big recognisable names because they're not out there making a career in Hollywood or whatever, and listening to people who are from minority, less-privileged backgrounds usually means that they weren't able to make big names for themselves for the reasons they document.

Eve Peyser, Ken Klippenstein, Natalie Shure and Elizabeth Bruenig are the only names I can think of that anybody else is likely to recognise. For the rest I guess I'd just urge people to listen to grassroots social media and all of the tiny fighting voices. Twitter is an amazing platform outside of the high-profile bickering.

ASFTSN

Thanks a lot for the proper reply!  I asked because I find Jon Ronson extremely likeable, quite funny, but not actually incisive.

I will look up the names that you mention online.  I honestly cannot stomach Twtter and consider it to have led to the absolute and total downfall of civil discourse since its inception, and that might be why I have difficulty finding these sources.  I consider online-debate-as-blood sport to be a diseased, upsetting method of communication that's done more harm than good on balance up to this point and that's why I can't handle it. I'm sure that's my own failing though.

Twed

Quote from: ASFTSN on March 20, 2018, 05:04:32 PM
Thanks a lot for the proper reply!  I asked because I find Jon Ronson extremely likeable, quite funny, but not actually incisive.

I will look up the names that you mention online.  I honestly cannot stomach Twtter and consider it to have led to the absolute and total downfall of civil discourse since its inception, and that might be why I have difficulty finding these sources.  I consider online-debate-as-blood sport to be a diseased, upsetting method of communication that's done more harm than good on balance up to this point and that's why I can't handle it. I'm sure that's my own failing though.
No, I understand, and despite getting worked up about issues a lot and finding myself part of online debate I hate it too. I'm sure some people think I get enjoyable adrenaline rushes from that kind of thing, but for me it's raised blood pressure and acid reflux. Twitter is surprisingly a refuge for me, due to being lucky enough to find enough good voices to combat the bad. Twitter is a source of a lot of the worst, but it's also where most of the hope can be found, for me.

ASFTSN

Quote from: nedthemumbler on March 11, 2018, 12:24:35 AM
Diane Morgan is one of those great talents who it feels like they haven't yet found (or been allowed access to) the medium/format to do their best work and blow minds. 
I'm sure she will and in the meantime I love what she does, but I'm confident she has great heights to reach.

I cannot stand Philomena Cunk and am yet to make it all the way through one of those segments without fast-forwarding.  But DM herself is deadpan and funny as fuck in interviews - definitely looking forward to seeing what she'll do next.

Didn't warm to Lolly Adefope on Taskmaster at all and her chat with Buckles hasn't changed that impression.

She seems very mediocre and is by far the worst thing in Damned. Not actively bad I suppose, just no range whatsoever, which stands out a mile in such a great programme. Bland as fuck, bordering on non-acting. I'm struggling to imagine her keeping up with Steve Buscemi.

(Also her habit of doing a cod Northern accent when doing an "impression voice" with Buckles was thoroughly fucking irritating and she should stop doing that.)

MOLLOY

Quote from: ASFTSN on March 22, 2018, 12:22:05 PM
I cannot stand Philomena Cunk and am yet to make it all the way through one of those segments without fast-forwarding.  But DM herself is deadpan and funny as fuck in interviews - definitely looking forward to seeing what she'll do next.
I don't find her hilarious but I love listening to her. It's very comforting somehow .
Probably because she is so down to Earth and truthful when most others nowadays  are faking it.
She has a beautiful voice and a sexy laugh too at the risk of outing myself as a wrongun.
I think she took against Richard Herring so she was a little guarded whereas she (rightfully) realised Adam is fundamentally a good guy resulting in some great chemistry. We need more people like her- never playing the game and being unafraid to call things bullshit. I get the same warm feeling when I listen to Frank Skinner. I loved when Frank said Hamilton was shit. He maybe wrong- I just love the fact that he called it.

idunnosomename

Did anyone listen to his Radio 4 prog that finished today? It was in the Weds gap slot before Book of the Week for the past month.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09snrb7

It's basically his podcast aesthetic (silly jingles, walking with rosie) applied to a sort of documentary thing. It was interesting and sometimes quite funny. I liked how his kids in this episode were called "Greedo" and "Agency". And they were just him doing a silly voice.

Good on him. He's putting out better material than Cornballs is anyway.

The Roofdog

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 28, 2018, 01:19:30 PM
He's putting out better material than Cornballs is anyway.

Isn't this a division by zero problem?

yes yes i know his second film is due this year

idunnosomename

Quote from: The Roofdog on March 28, 2018, 02:06:44 PM
Isn't this a division by zero problem?

yes yes i know his second film is due this year

Attack the Block maybe

marquis_de_sad

Just finished his interview with Fenton Bailey. Another good one. Bailey has been involved in enough interesting projects to keep the chat getting samey, and of course there was some reminiscing about the beginnings of the Adam and Joe Show.

Sin Agog

Anyone get a weird skipping thing during the Wes Anderson ramble chat?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I've always assumed that Wes Anderson would sound like a fey, hesitant teenager, but he's actually quite demonstrative.

Listening to that podcast was a bit - a very little bit, admittedly - like when I first listened to the Pet Sounds sessions, during which Brian Wilson sounds utterly in charge and focused.

I'm aware, of course, that the successful Hollywood filmmaker Wes Anderson wouldn't have achieved so much if he was actually like one of the quirky characters from his films, but I was still quite surprised by his confident demeanour. He sounds like a nice enough guy, by the way, I'm not implying that he comes across as bullish or owt.

On a related note, I've never bought the notion that Woody Allen is a notoriously undemonstrative director who gives his actors very little guidance. His films are full of great performances, they didn't come to life by accident. He obviously knows what he's doing, his self-deprecating public persona is just a bit of shtick.

Yes, I know you could possibly apply that penchant for subterfuge to his private life too.

daf

Like and Subscribe,
Like and Subscribe . .
Like and Subscribe,
Please Like and Subscribe,

Give me little smile and thumbs up,
a nice little pat when me bum's up . .
Give me little smile and thumbs up,
a nice little pat when me bum's up.

Like and Subscribe,
Please Like and Subscribe . . .

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on April 16, 2018, 04:30:33 PM
Just finished his interview with Fenton Bailey. Another good one. Bailey has been involved in enough interesting projects to keep the chat getting samey, and of course there was some reminiscing about the beginnings of the Adam and Joe Show.

It was quite interesting, yes, but Bailey's transatlantic accent took a bit of getting used to. He has a severe case of "splidding hairs" Dave Clifton-itis.

I kept thinking "This is definitely the sort of voice Adam would find inherently funny", which took me out of the conversation somewhat.

phantom_power

I loved the new MSF advert, very funny. Upheavals, downheavals and all the other heavals

Sounds like there is a Derren Brown one coming soon

Mini

I'm a huge Drag Race fan and never realised there was a (sort of) Adam and Joe connection so I found the Fenton Bailey podcast really interesting!

A Limmy one would be great.

Twed

Did nobody enjoy Jayde Adams then? I quite liked her. Especially when she said she reads people the wrong horoscopes.

Jack Shaftoe

I had to go to Paris for a meeting this week (ooh get me etc) just after listening to some Adam podcasts and was genuinely disappointed I didn't just bump into Wes Anderson, Garth Jennings or Jason Schwartzman. I was in the animation bit too. :(

Mini

Quote from: Twed on April 20, 2018, 01:18:51 AM
Did nobody enjoy Jayde Adams then? I quite liked her. Especially when she said she reads people the wrong horoscopes.

Yeah I'd not heard of her but she was great. And another one for the "accents Buckles must find hilarious" files.

Wet Blanket

I notice the podcast version of his Radio 4 series You're Doing It Wrong is bumpered with an intro for American audiences with presenters talking much too close to the mic. Reckon it might have been the inspiration for his new Squarespace advert

Twit 2

I absolutely love the way Wes Anderson says 'yes'.

Mini

Quote from: Twit 2 on April 22, 2018, 03:07:48 PM
I absolutely love the way Wes Anderson says 'yes'.

As long as the question isn't "is Owen Wilson in it?"

VelourSpirit

Quote from: Mini on April 19, 2018, 10:45:54 AM
A Limmy one would be great.

I hope it does happen. Buxton said on twitter that one of his dream guests would be Bjork as well. Wonder if that could ever happen... I'd really love that. I think he said something about trying to get her on Vinyl Justice once too.

McQ

Adam has mentioned trying to get Liam Williams on a few times, also, and I've seen him promoting stuff like Pls Like, People Time, and Capital on his Twitter feed. I really hope that he gets him!

Paaaaul

non capisco

Quote from: Paaaaul on April 28, 2018, 02:39:35 PM
New one. Bob Mortimer.

Really good. It's the most sincere and not 'on' I've ever heard Bob. The bit where he talks about his sense of pride in his sons growing up and leaving home to start university is lovely. Plenty of affectionate stuff about Jim/Vic as well.

daf

Anybody having problems downloading Adam's podcast from itunes? it's just stopped working for me (other podcasts still download OK).

Is there any other way to get it? I've tried his website, but can't find a download button on there.