Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:12:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vitalstatistix

Blueberry Boat is such a ridiculously sublime and wonderful record. It's disappointing that such a normal* person was behind it.

*dull

McFlymo

Quote from: Vitalstatistix on May 09, 2018, 01:21:30 PM
Blueberry Boat is such a ridiculously sublime and wonderful record. It's disappointing that such a normal* person was behind it.

*dull

Just listening to Blueberry Boat by Fiery Furnaces here. It's the right kind of bonkers! I love it.

I guess I don't mind if people who make crazy music turn out to be quite normal and/or boring, I'd much rather that than the Josh Homme style soundbites and slightly creepy, believing-their-own-hype, detachment.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know where the "NO no no no no no" sample is from?

Ah fuck, of course, thanks!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

That was just lovely. I particularly liked Brooker's reaction to Buckles' half arsed apocalypse preparations.

Thomas

Just about to do some ironing, make a cup of tea, open SoundCloud, wondering who the latest guest might be - and it's Charlie Brooker, of all people. Excellent. Made the same pleased 'aha' noise I made when I saw Bob Mortimer's name.

lankyguy95

Very much enjoyed Adam's Bear Grylls impersonation

McQ

Quote from: lankyguy95 on May 14, 2018, 01:58:29 PM
Very much enjoyed Adam's Bear Grylls impersonation

I loved that, also, but Charlie Brooker came across really badly, I thought. His attempts to keep up with Adam comedically were embarrassing, and I can't stand manufacturered anger, so any time he called Adam a cunt for some minor infraction, I just felt disappointed. Oh, and him saying that he's aware that the storylines in Black Mirror are hacky and coming up with self-parodies seemed like cheating. "Bums bums a bum a willy and a boob computer games and shitting. I'm generating anger and incredulity about an entirely hypothetical situation just to have something to say. You cunt."

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I thought they made for a delightful comedy pairing.

McQ

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 14, 2018, 04:17:29 PM
I thought they made for a delightful comedy pairing.

I'm happy that you liked it, I don't mean to spoil anyone's fun. I'm not sure why I posted what I posted, really. It was my genuine opinion, but I don't usually like to be too negative online these days. Sorry, everyone!

phantom_power

I think that is genuinely Brooker's personality isn't it? The anger is real but exaggerated for comic effect. If he is acting it is a fucking good long performance piece

studpuppet

Bob Mortimer = 70% Bernard Sumner + 30% Jon Ronson

Mini

Quote from: popcorn on May 08, 2018, 04:56:27 PM
I think it was one of the weaker episodes, and I see why Adam sat on it for two years, but it wasn't his fault. Eleanor didn't seem to have a lot of interesting things to say and there wasn't much in the way of chemistry there.

I feel like his "I didn't think I'd done a very good job of interviewing her" is Adam Buxton for "she was boring." Loved the Bob Mortimer one though, I'll definitely check out Athletico Mince.

Wet Blanket

Even though I'd never heard of her I thought the Eleanor Friedberger one was quite a good listen. She's not as boring as Johnny Greenwood. The only one I couldn't finish was the woman who wrote Happy Valley, who was very dry and didn't seem to click much with Buckles.

Brooker was entertaining. It sounds like they know each other a bit, but not enough for it to have gone in an offbeat Louis Theroux direction. I like it best when he gets famous figures to talk about esoteric stuff not directly related to their careers.

SteveDave

"It was like sitting on a banister" made me laugh uncontrollably. 

Beagle 2

Yes, that was very good. I want to hear Charlie Brooker talk about video games more though, and also publicly apologise for saying Twitter was the best game ever.

hedgehog90

Quote from: Beagle 2 on May 15, 2018, 03:45:36 PM
Yes, that was very good. I want to hear Charlie Brooker talk about video games more though, and also publicly apologise for saying Twitter was the best game ever.

Christ did he actually say that?

Beagle 2

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Videogames_Changed_the_World

They probably made him put the wider point he was trying to make into a pointless list to be honest. Still nearly stuck a doc martin through the screen though.

jimboslice

Quote from: Wet Blanket on May 15, 2018, 08:52:56 AM
Even though I'd never heard of her I thought the Eleanor Friedberger one was quite a good listen. She's not as boring as Johnny Greenwood. The only one I couldn't finish was the woman who wrote Happy Valley, who was very dry and didn't seem to click much with Buckles.

Brooker was entertaining. It sounds like they know each other a bit, but not enough for it to have gone in an offbeat Louis Theroux direction. I like it best when he gets famous figures to talk about esoteric stuff not directly related to their careers.

God, the Jonny Greenwood one was dull wasn't it? I'm a Radiohead fan too. The one they did later on was a bit better though.

I didn't think Eleanor Friedberger was too dull either. I don't think she clicked with Buckles, and he asked a few questions that seemed to rankle a bit. That's my amazing hot take on why he stuck it in the vault for so long.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Beagle 2 on May 15, 2018, 09:39:02 PM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Videogames_Changed_the_World

They probably made him put the wider point he was trying to make into a pointless list to be honest. Still nearly stuck a doc martin through the screen though.

To be fair, that list appears to be ordered by release date so I don't think Twitter's No. 1 position is meant to mean it's the best one.

Still, Twitter obviously obviously obviously isn't a video game. It is a social media platform. Daft Charlie.

olliebean

I mean, there's an argument to be made that it's a game, but definitely not a videogame.

non capisco

I'm obviously easily pleased because I cracked up laughing at Adam doing his impression of people shitting and farting in airport toilets during the Brooker one. I'm essentially a four year old.

daf

Wahey - my itunes (. . . mmmmmy itunes) has started downloading the podcast again!

kidsick5000

Quote from: Thomas on May 14, 2018, 12:53:46 PM
Just about to do some ironing, make a cup of tea, open SoundCloud, wondering who the latest guest might be - and it's Charlie Brooker, of all people. Excellent. Made the same pleased 'aha' noise I made when I saw Bob Mortimer's name.

Does the 'aha' come with the same nod of approval housewives give when receiving more change than expected at the Asda tills, or is it haughtier, like that German ambassador in the old Ferrero Rocher ads?

popcorn

I miss the Adam Buxton podcast.

poo

Feel like a cunt saying this but I thought most of the podcasts from the latest series were rather boring.

popcorn

Even when I'm not necessarily that into the people he's talking to (which is most of the time), I'm always cheered just by listening to Adam himself. I often like his intro and outro walking-the-dog bits the best. It's only really the chats with Garth Jennings and Louis Theroux I find truly great, because they're obviously on his wavelength... I think he baffles quite a few of his guests.