Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,464
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:21:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on November 14, 2018, 03:04:19 PM
I loved hearing Ken Korda again. I'd like Adam to interview Ken next.

Don't begin Adam's descent into becoming Richard Herring quite yet, please!

Mango Chimes

I am worried that at some point Adam will get his friend Graham Linehan on to talk about his careeTRANSWOMENTRANSWOMENTRANSWOMENTRANSWOMEN

Twit 2

Yes, considering they both live in Norwich, I'm surprised it's not happened yet.

Crabwalk

Buxton interviewed Linehan for R4's 'Chain Reaction' and they were writing a sci-fi sitcom together a few years back. Wonder what happened to that?

Edit: seems like it only got as far as an I broadcast pilot

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/the_cloud/

Thomas

Listened to the Simon Pegg one today, and, I too, found it to be an open, thoughtful, and interesting chat.

And the recent Louis Therouxer was brilliant. I was stifling laughs in the street. When you've got headphones in and you begin to laugh, people appear bemused, as though headphones only facilitate music. Well, they don't. They also facilitate Adam Buxton Podcasts.

nedthemumbler

After hearing his episode I have completely changed my opinion of Simon Pegg.

Some of his odd, more Hollywood behaviour* had started to grate despite my love of his early films, but he was fantastic here.  Incredibly intelligent yet modest, emotionally literate when talking about his teens and twenties and budding sexuality, just very human and relatable.

*E.g. His one show appearance with the burger.

Felt a bit sad when Simon was asking Buckles why he hasn't developed his own thing.  Ad was very self-deprecating but anyone that listens to this knows he has the talent to do it, just maybe not the patience for the admin and schmoozing required.

I'd be the first to help kickstart a Buxton film or web series.  Hope he reads these sort of threads, despite his extreme sensitivity, to know how much he's loved

popcorn

Quote from: nedthemumbler on November 15, 2018, 12:34:31 AM
Felt a bit sad when Simon was asking Buckles why he hasn't developed his own thing.  Ad was very self-deprecating but anyone that listens to this knows he has the talent to do it, just maybe not the patience for the admin and schmoozing required.

I'd be the first to help kickstart a Buxton film or web series.  Hope he reads these sort of threads, despite his extreme sensitivity, to know how much he's loved

I'm going to be Denny Different here and ask... has anyone here ever truly loved Adam's "character" stuff?

I think he's marvellously funny and endearing and engaging as a host - even when he's just going on a walk with Rosy. He'd be high on my list of "people to go for a pint with", if I were forced to make such a wanky list. And you know what, I personally value his podcast more than any of the fucking Mission Impossible films.

But I've always found his sketches a bit tedious and... daft in the wrong way. I don't think he's an exactly natural sequencer of ideas in that sense.

Adam if you're reading this, sorry, I love you, please let's go for a pint ??

The one with Pegg was pretty much the best hour-and-a-bit of anything I've heard this year. Just brilliant.

DrGreggles

Pegg seems nice enough, but he's not particularly funny in interviews.

Chollis

Quote from: popcorn on November 15, 2018, 05:01:48 AM
I'm going to be Denny Different here and ask... has anyone here ever truly loved Adam's "character" stuff?

I think he's marvellously funny and endearing and engaging as a host - even when he's just going on a walk with Rosy. He'd be high on my list of "people to go for a pint with", if I were forced to make such a wanky list. And you know what, I personally value his podcast more than any of the fucking Mission Impossible films.

But I've always found his sketches a bit tedious and... daft in the wrong way. I don't think he's an exactly natural sequencer of ideas in that sense.

Adam if you're reading this, sorry, I love you, please let's go for a pint ??

Yeah, I agree. I completely believe Adam when he said he didn't have the ideas or the drive to accomplish it.

magval

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 15, 2018, 09:21:33 AM
Pegg seems nice enough, but he's not particularly funny in interviews.

I was caught off guard and laughed loudly in the forest when he mentioned seeing the speed bumps sign and exclaimed "what have I DONE?"

I can only echo the general sentiment that Simon's sometimes rubbish when he's not in his own things, but I loved his book and this is an extension of that. If you liked the podcast, read it, it's more of the same.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

I was a bit surprised by Pegg's early sexual successes. I always had him down as a late developer, not sure why. Possibly because of his love of all things geek.

Incidentally, did anyone catch the name of the author he read at uni who'd apparently foreseen the present epoch of mass infantalism? Rewound it a few times but couldn't parse it.

PlanktonSideburns

Only heard podcast once - was it

baudrillard america

?

Twed

Loved Roisin Conaty's recent episode. She is charismatic.

Twed

Wet Blanket

She's obviously a lot more steely in real life than her gormless persona. She gave poor old Buckles short shrift when he blundered into a centrist dad critique of feminism. Made passing reference to seeing a therapist too, which he never picked up on.

Some lowbrow laughs from his wind song and Rosie's political song, too. Top stuff.

popcorn

Again, to be a negative dick: I really love the podcast but whenever I look up the comedians he interviews I always come away thinking they're ghastly.

In fact most of them aren't actually nearly as funny as Adam in his interviews with them. He often says obviously silly ludicrous whimsical things and they react like "wow what a slightly mad thing to say". Every time it happens I think "Aren't you supposed to be professional funny person?" The people who don't do this are always the reliably brilliant guests - Louie, Garth, and of course Joe.

Chollis

Quote from: popcorn on November 21, 2018, 02:30:08 PM
Again, to be a negative dick: I really love the podcast but whenever I look up the comedians he interviews I always come away thinking they're ghastly.

In fact most of them aren't actually nearly as funny as Adam in his interviews with them. He often says obviously silly ludicrous whimsical things and they react like "wow what a slightly mad thing to say". Every time it happens I think "Aren't you supposed to be professional funny person?" The people who don't do this are always the reliably brilliant guests - Louie, Garth, and of course Joe.

Buckles loves his shit comedians. They make up 75% of his guests. He's still great though and you do get good ones occasionally like Tim Key or Cathy Burke.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: popcorn on November 21, 2018, 02:30:08 PM

I know what you mean. Sedaris (although I enjoyed his rants about litter and Waitrose) seemed to be the worst at this. Just wasn't on the same frequency at all.

Vitalstatistix

Disagree completely. Of the guests I wasn't particularly familiar with previously, Sedaris was one of the few who really made me laugh and seemed to be on the level comedically with Buckles. A true dry wit, and it was a delight to hear them amuse each other.

Sin Agog

I haven't really disliked anyone he's had on, though the Burr-Buxton match up made for a really odd dynamic.  The image of Buxton at a bar with Bill Burr and Joe Rogan, while the two of them are holding court on conspiracy theories, almost makes me shiver with sympathetic awkwardness.

SteveDave

Thanks to his Tash Demo-thingy podcast(s) I watched "Stath Lets Flats" and loved it. There, I said it.

Beagle 2

I watched episode one for the same reason and really liked it. Just completely ridiculous and over the top, great stuff.

SteveDave

Quote from: Beagle 2 on November 23, 2018, 09:29:35 AM
I watched episode one for the same reason and really liked it. Just completely ridiculous and over the top, great stuff.

The second episode with the garden flat had me screaming laughing almost throughout

"This gardens a mess innit?"
"Yeah, it's a dirty mystery"

Hat FM

the fact that adam, actually, knows the whole tom cruise story has ruined Joe's unveiling of it bit by bit in the christmas podcast. :(

popcorn

Quote from: Hat FM on November 23, 2018, 10:44:39 AM
the fact that adam, actually, knows the whole tom cruise story has ruined Joe's unveiling of it bit by bit in the christmas podcast. :(

So he does know it? He seemed to imply that but I found that so confusing I wasn't sure I'd understood properly. It does seem a shame.

Wet Blanket

I thought it was always clear that he knew the story, just that Joe refused to spill the beans on the podcast

popcorn

To be honest I'd completely forgotten the entire thing until it was brought up again in the Pegg episode, so I've sort of started from scratch. It was a bit odd because Adam sounds very much like he wants to know the story, then appears to admit he knows it.