Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:03:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Adam probably wanted the story told for the pod.

Ferris

I have 0 memory of the Tom Cruise story being revealed piecemeal. I thought Joe just said "nah I'll tell you later" and that was it?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I would gladly listen to all 28 verses of Rosie's satirical Brexit song.

Mango Chimes

I like that Buckles is making use of his songwriting talents in a Sesame Street fashion: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p06pv67c/messy-goes-to-okido-songs-3-gravity

Mini

New one up with Nish Kumar. Lovely so far.

I enjoyed the first half of the Nish one but the second half lost me.

Might be Nish overload as he's doing the podcast rounds at the mo, but I also find it a bit dull when people start listing all the great gigs they've been to.

And I couldn't help but laugh when Adam said "I see you've brought your guitar" and he really had.

Mango Chimes

I haven't listened to the latest yet, but I get the impression Nish is one of these people who is well liked as a comedian not for being funny, but for being a loud laugher at other comedians. I suppose it's not bad thing that there are at least some people out there getting on by being nice.

No comments on the last two? Chalabi I wasn't a fan of at all, but I enjoyed Adam occasionally throwing unreciprocated flippancy into the interesting chat with the kidnapped man.

Sin Agog

The kidnappee interview confirms my theory that every interview subject has a secret question that can crack their brains wide open.  I guess Buxton's simple enquiry about music was his.  He sounded far more engaged after that.

SteveDave

I put the kidnapped man one on to fall asleep to but it was too interesting. Imagine! Pirates!

ColinPopshed

I really enjoy the chat he had with Simon Pegg about how they both were known for being quite 'manchildy' and how much Simon has managed to escape that perception over the years.

Phil_A

Quote from: Sin Agog on December 10, 2018, 02:14:18 PM
The kidnappee interview confirms my theory that every interview subject has a secret question that can crack their brains wide open.  I guess Buxton's simple enquiry about music was his.  He sounded far more engaged after that.

I got a bit confused then and thought Buxton had kidnapped someone in order to interview them.

Sin Agog

That would have been a very real possibility if Bowie were stlll alive.

Twed

Has to be said, Nish seemed like a really nice, intelligent guy on this podcast.

DeadBishop

Nish Kumar seems to get a lot of shit on here and I'm not entirely sure why. Is it the laugh? He's a perfectly competent, if maybe a little uninteresting, comedian, and always comes off as a really smart and lovely guy. Really enjoyed his ep on this.

When he's having an actual conversation, I agree that he comes across very well.

But I've noticed there's always a tipping point when his laughter gets out of control - the last 20 or so mins of his recent appearance on Herring's pod was barely listenable as he suddenly started howling with laughter at any vaguely humorous remark from Rich.

If you're regularly acting like something's the funniest thing you've ever heard when it clearly isn't *that* funny, I'm not sure that's an endearing thing in a comedian, for the audience at least. But yeah he was much better on the Buxton pod.

easytarget

I remember hating Nish when he was on ruhellesterpeh a couple of years ago:
Quote from: easytarget on August 11, 2016, 06:57:24 AM
Gash Kumar more like!
Right guys?
Guys?

He's like the wet lead character on The Inbetweeners.

But, I'll give him another spin as you're all so in love with his performance on the Buxton pod. I also can't remember why I hated him.

Quote from: easytarget on December 13, 2018, 06:48:59 AM
I remember hating Nish when he was on ruhellesterpeh a couple of years ago:
But, I'll give him another spin as you're all so in love with his performance on the Buxton pod. I also can't remember why I hated him.

I thinkyou thought he was a bit too much like the wet lead character on the Inbetweeners

CaledonianGonzo

He's improved as a comedian in the last few years.  I was also pretty ambivalent about him but took a punt on a WIP of his new touring show and really enjoyed it.

Sin Agog

He is a bit like the wet lead character in The Inbetweeners now that you mention it. I can imagine him front-row, centre stage at a UB40 show dancing a little out of time out of excitement.  Didn't realise that until the Buckles interview.

easytarget

Listened to the interview, I quite like him now.
I maintain my position on him being like the wet lead in The Inbetweeners though.

MigraineBoy

In the space of a few days I listed to Nish on RHLSTP & Buxton - while I thought the chat with Adam was a great, I found the RHLSTP a trudge.  Perhaps it's the temptation on RHLSTP to stop treating it as a conversation and to play up to the audience.

I Blame Dennis Hopper, the podcast Adam recommends towards the end of one of his recent episodes, is good fun. It involves the likeable, knowledgeable actor and filmmaker Illeana Douglas interviewing various other actors and filmmakers in a pleasantly informal, geeky way.

The Joe Dante episodes are particularly in-depth and revealing, but I've also enjoyed listening to her chats with Michael McKean, Fred Willard, Bobcat Goldthwait, Alfred Molina, a grumpy Ed Asner and an annoyingly exuberant yet occasionally quite interesting John Landis.

http://illeanaspodcast.com/

magval

Without looking it up, she played one of Larry Sanders' girlfriends, didn't she?

Quote from: magval on December 16, 2018, 07:12:12 AM
Without looking it up, she played one of Larry Sanders' girlfriends, didn't she?

She's appeared in loads of stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illeana_Douglas#Filmography

Sin Agog

Cheers for the Illeana pod tip.  I think she may have been harbouring the idea ever since she was on Dinner For Five, where she was somewhat testosterone-jacked by the four other blokes each appearance.  Listened to the John Landis ones.  God, that guy is always such a ball of fire (a reference he'll like, what with the thousand and one Screwball allusions he made throughout).  The most pleasing curveball was when he started rhapsodising Tobe Hooper's Lifeforce.

Neomod

Ditto thanks for the Illeana pod. I thought exactly the same thing about that Dinner for Five episode.

I've only listened to a couple but happily they cover similar territory to the Favs show but with less Vince Vaughn.

Crabwalk

Quote from: Sin Agog on December 17, 2018, 12:17:17 AM
The most pleasing curveball was when he started rhapsodising Tobe Hooper's Lifeforce.

Oh, now I am definitely on board!

(Not being sarcastic, in case it reads that way.)

DrGreggles

The new episode with Cornballs has dropped.
Just under 2 hours long!

VelourSpirit

Exciting! I've just found my favourite bit from the 2015 Joe episode again. It's from 34 to 36 minutes in. Recommend finding it, I think about it every now and then and I can't stop smiling.