Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:20:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on February 08, 2019, 10:05:38 PM
I'm not sure about Joe's new Gauntlet Nonce look

He looks like a cyborg David Lynch.

Vitalstatistix

Sad to read his new film is a massive box office flop so far. That must be really disheartening, not to mention future career threatening.

It does look wank though.

Twed

kidsick5000

Quote from: Vitalstatistix on February 09, 2019, 03:31:04 AM
not to mention future career threatening.

Not really. Unless he starts bad-mouthing distributors, studios etc
He's had one highly regarded debut. This one has had good word of mouth, but is going up against How to Train Your Dragon and LEGO sequels.
This won't have lost an insane amount of money. He'll be fine

hedgehog90

Joe's on Jonathan Ross's podcast, 'I Like Films' (which Adam recommended at the end of one of his episodes), if anyone's interested:

https://audioboom.com/posts/7171404-joe-cornish

Pancake

To be fair it's reviewing well and hasn't been released over here yet. I'm sure it'll break even and it's a good piece of work for the CV, it's hardly a flop all things considered.

Enrico Palazzo

Quote from: Pancake on February 12, 2019, 11:42:42 AM
To be fair it's reviewing well and hasn't been released over here yet. I'm sure it'll break even and it's a good piece of work for the CV, it's hardly a flop all things considered.

It's not going to break even, it's going to lose a huge amount of money.

Wet Blanket

Ive been quite surprised by Cornish's chosen path of very mainstream fare, considering his quirky and sharp-witted personality. Even Attack the Block was a lot more straightforward than I was expecting.

I detected an undercurrent of despair in the Ross/Cornish podcast. It was obviously recorded after the King Arthur film tanked in America, so Ross practically begs people to go and see it when it's released in the UK.

Quote from: Wet Blanket on February 12, 2019, 01:43:56 PM
Ive been quite surprised by Cornish's chosen path of very mainstream fare, considering his quirky and sharp-witted personality. Even Attack the Block was a lot more straightforward than I was expecting.

In that Ross podcast, Cornballs states that he's always wanted to write and direct good, intelligent commercial films. Fair enough, we need more of those.

Ross' podcast is alright, by the way. Admittedly, the only other episode I've listened to is the one with Robert Zemeckis, but I found that quite enjoyable. It's basically just Ross the film enthusiast - as opposed to Ross the tired chat show host and media personality - interviewing filmmakers he admires. He knows his stuff and asks good questions.

I saw Dr Buckles at a charity do (he was suprisingly down to earth etc...) last night. He read an extract from the book he's writing - it was called 1st Class Bastard and drew on the Travelling Tales 6music segment stuff. Was great.

gmoney

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on February 12, 2019, 11:56:37 AM
It's not going to break even, it's going to lose a huge amount of money.

No film ever loses a huge amount of money these days.

Enzo

Quote from: Horselover Fat on February 17, 2019, 11:28:20 AM
I saw Dr Buckles at a charity do (he was suprisingly down to earth etc...) last night. He read an extract from the book he's writing - it was called 1st Class Bastard and drew on the Travelling Tales 6music segment stuff. Was great.

That made me go listen to the Travelling Tales Jingle. thanks.

VelourSpirit

Nice to have the podcast back. I often forget that I do like David Mitchell, his book was nice and he seemed nice here.

In the ad towards the end of the latest episode, Adam's smug Ira Glass podcast voice is perfect.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I'm a little shocked that Mitchell didn't know who Spiro Agnew was. He was also surprisingly inaccurate about Bluetooth.

Crabwalk

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 21, 2019, 06:54:04 AM
In the ad towards the end of the latest episode, Adam's smug Ira Glass podcast voice is perfect.

That ad is possibly the highlight of the episode. Don't be tempted to skip it if you've not listened yet.

rasta-spouse

That podcast parody was an excellent little freebie, wasn't it? Really surprised no one else seems to be doing stuff like that (unless I'm out of the loop) because the scene seems ripe for it.

Give Buckles some money and some radio/tv airtime.

thugler

Quote from: rasta-spouse on April 21, 2019, 07:20:25 PM
That podcast parody was an excellent little freebie, wasn't it? Really surprised no one else seems to be doing stuff like that (unless I'm out of the loop) because the scene seems ripe for it.

Give Buckles some money and some radio/tv airtime.

Where was this? In the Mitchell ep?

popcorn

Yes I think I missed this too.

VelourSpirit

It's the Squarespace advert 64:40 in. It is a funny voice, I've not even heard any Ira Glass and I feel like it's a good impression of how I imagine he sounds

Sin Agog

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 21, 2019, 12:14:05 PM
I'm a little shocked that Mitchell didn't know who Spiro Agnew was. He was also surprisingly inaccurate about Bluetooth.

I think people sometimes don't realise he's just a normal middle-class man, as opposed to the upper middle-class men posing as normal middle-class men who fill the ranks of the British entertainment industry.

Didn't like that centrist rant in the beginning.  Did like when he affectionately talked about comedy later on.

EDIT:  Actually looking at his wiki, he does have the same Oxbridge (literally both) history as everyone else.  Maybe he's just not got that great a memory for a history major.

rasta-spouse

I think it would be easy to confuse Mitchell for an intellectual scholar-type (although he doesn't claim to be). But he's more a smug know-it-all sixth-former in most of his responses, which is a temperament suited to comedy I think (see S. Lee).

thugler

Quote from: TwinPeaks on April 23, 2019, 06:41:33 AM
It's the Squarespace advert 64:40 in. It is a funny voice, I've not even heard any Ira Glass and I feel like it's a good impression of how I imagine he sounds

Yeah it's not there. At that point on this  Mitchell ep on my podcast app is just ad talking.

Replies From View

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 08, 2019, 10:37:44 PM
He looks like a cyborg David Lynch.

One that shits with the toilet door open.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: thugler on April 23, 2019, 12:15:57 PM
Yeah it's not there. At that point on this  Mitchell ep on my podcast app is just ad talking.
I've checked Soundcloud and Acast and haven't heard this bit. Lies, all lies!

Quote from: rasta-spouse on April 23, 2019, 08:15:39 AM
I think it would be easy to confuse Mitchell for an intellectual scholar-type (although he doesn't claim to be). But he's more a smug know-it-all sixth-former in most of his responses, which is a temperament suited to comedy I think (see S. Lee).
I'm probably basing my perception of him on Mark Corrigan, more than his real life persona.

lankyguy95

It's silly how much enjoyment I always take from the 'halfway through the podcast' song.

Sin Agog

Quote from: lankyguy95 on April 23, 2019, 12:59:04 PM
It's silly how much enjoyment I always take from the 'halfway through the podcast' song.

I always wonder whether he only uses it on the pods where everything's clicking (like it would between a geezer and a mate), but I'm too lazy to go through them and find out.

SteveDave

Quote from: lankyguy95 on April 23, 2019, 12:59:04 PM

I don't like listening to that in public as I have difficulty in joining in with it.