Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:36:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast

Started by Phil_A, September 18, 2015, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McFlymo

Quote from: thugler on April 23, 2019, 12:15:57 PM
Yeah it's not there. At that point on this  Mitchell ep on my podcast app is just ad talking.

There was an funny advertisement segment at the beginning of the episode, via the Acast app.

It's a delight to have the podcast back! And great that Buckles is able to get decent guests! The jingles cheered me up too.

Vitalstatistix

For some reason I don't get any adverts on any of my podcasts, despite using a free and pretty basic podcast app.

Admittedly this hasn't given me cause for complaint before, but now I'm furious.

Found Mitchell surprisingly low energy and low on laughs. His take on environmental activism was pretty embarrassing too. I'm happy Buckles is back though, obvs. Because I love him unconditionally.

popcorn

I'm also baffled by these advert claims. Don't podcasts just have whatever ads the podcaster puts in them? Adam's done lots of sponsored ads before and they've always been part of the podcast.

Twed

Quote from: popcorn on April 24, 2019, 05:34:15 AM
I'm also baffled by these advert claims. Don't podcasts just have whatever ads the podcaster puts in them?
The world is much worse than you think. Podcasters usually put ad insertion points in their podcast, which allows the podcast aggregator to insert targeted ads at that point. I get adverts for Citizen's Bank Boston when I listen to UK-based podcasts.

Sin Agog

I've been hearing those recently, and they usually fuck up the insertion points and place them mid-syllable. 

popcorn

Quote from: Twed on April 24, 2019, 06:38:04 AM
The world is much worse than you think. Podcasters usually put ad insertion points in their podcast, which allows the podcast aggregator to insert targeted ads at that point. I get adverts for Citizen's Bank Boston when I listen to UK-based podcasts.

You're blowing my mind.

I've always just used the vanilla Apple Podcasts app on my phone. What hellish means are people using to listen to podcasts that punish them with these ads? And why?

And if this explains why I didn't hear this funny ad, why is it that it's apparently something Adam made instead of a targeted third-party thing like an ad for Citizen's Bank Boston?

Gerald Fjord

But surely Buckles doesn't use ad insertion points, since all his ads are done by himself?

Twed

Quote from: popcorn on April 24, 2019, 07:23:03 AM
And if this explains why I didn't hear this funny ad, why is it that it's apparently something Adam made instead of a targeted third-party thing like an ad for Citizen's Bank Boston?
Yeah, I'm not sure either. As Gerald points out I don't think Ad inserts ads this way.

olliebean

In the version I downloaded from the RSS feed, the ad in question comes between "Wait" and "Continue" in the music that plays at the end of the chat. In the version currently downloadable from the RSS feed, there is nothing between "Wait" and "Continue", and it's also got a different ad at the start. I guess maybe he put the wrong ads in and had to change it, or something?

Anyway, FWIW, here's the ad: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rk5afgjtg7viihj/Creaky%20Voice%20Podcast.mp3?dl=0

c

Amazing, thank you olliebean. This American Life is really the grandaddy of podcasts, even thought it's not strictly speaking a podcast

Sin Agog

Quote from: Twed on April 24, 2019, 02:20:16 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure either. As Gerald points out I don't think Ad inserts ads this way.

I wouldn't put it past Joe to insert joes, though.

chveik

Quote from: rasta-spouse on April 21, 2019, 07:20:25 PM
That podcast parody was an excellent little freebie, wasn't it? Really surprised no one else seems to be doing stuff like that (unless I'm out of the loop) because the scene seems ripe for it.

Hollywood Handbook does it quite a lot.

rasta-spouse

Quote from: chveik on April 24, 2019, 05:03:26 PM
Hollywood Handbook does it quite a lot.

I've tried to understand HH for years, dipping into episodes where I'm familiar with the guest, but I just don't get it. I think it's possibly super-irony at a frequency I can't hear.

Sin Agog

Quote from: rasta-spouse on April 24, 2019, 07:03:07 PM
I've tried to understand HH for years, dipping into episodes where I'm familiar with the guest, but I just don't get it. I think it's possibly super-irony at a frequency I can't hear.

I feel the same about Chapo Trapo House.  Don't have a smegging clue what anyone's cracking up over.  Maybe listening to that without a twitter account is like trying to play Duck Hunt without a light gun.

thugler

That is an excellent ira impression!

Thanks very much for uploading

rasta-spouse

QuoteI feel the same about Chapo Trapo House.  Don't have a smegging clue what anyone's cracking up over.

I imagine sometimes the American who listens to an episode of Athletico Mince and thinks "what in the sam hell is this?". And suddenly the world seems fair again.

McFlymo

Quote from: olliebean on April 24, 2019, 03:15:34 PM
In the version I downloaded from the RSS feed, the ad in question comes between "Wait" and "Continue" in the music that plays at the end of the chat. In the version currently downloadable from the RSS feed, there is nothing between "Wait" and "Continue", and it's also got a different ad at the start. I guess maybe he put the wrong ads in and had to change it, or something?

Anyway, FWIW, here's the ad: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rk5afgjtg7viihj/Creaky%20Voice%20Podcast.mp3?dl=0

Right. So that's not the ad I had at the start of the Acast app version and I didn't get that ad at all.

Ayeeee. So it seems Acast are dropping the ball a bit, a couple of other podcasts I've been listening to in the last couple of days have had ads dropped in arbitrarily, where in the past they've always been in the correct place.

The most recent RHLSTP: Herring's intro and promo, later a proper Acast ad inserted, immediately followed by Herring doing the same ad, but with his own voice and different wording.

Buhhh?

popcorn

Never really known anything about Ruby Wax but she seems a bit narcissistic and annoying.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: popcorn on April 27, 2019, 02:19:14 PM
Never really known anything about Ruby Wax but she seems a bit narcissistic and annoying.

Yeah I had to give up. Nothing she says is awful or anything, she's just a bit overbearing.

Sin Agog

Relistened to that Adam & Joe Chrimbo pod from just after the time Ad's dad died.  Fuck me I forgot how raw that was.  All the laughs and silliness had that desperate but healing edge in the company of one of his oldest of friends.  And Joe's reaction at the end when Adam's voice starts faltering, something like, '...you don't have to hold back,' was so sweet after their previous frosty encounter.  That was when I really fell for the pod.  And being told that Adam loves me, bye never hurts, either.

Sin Agog

Does Ruby Wax mention Jung at any point?  That seems to be her thing now.  Mentioning Jung.

Twed

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on April 27, 2019, 02:21:52 PM
Yeah I had to give up. Nothing she says is awful or anything, she's just a bit overbearing.
She seems perfectly charming to me.

Le Tourbillon

Quote from: Sin Agog on April 27, 2019, 03:37:32 PM
Does Ruby Wax mention Jung at any point?  That seems to be her thing now.  Mentioning Jung.

Can't remember Jung getting a look in, but probably only because every other sentence is her mentioning that she studied at Oxford.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Twed on April 28, 2019, 05:02:07 AM
She seems perfectly charming to me.

Me too. #MeToo

You're all being far too harsh.

HAVANAGILA

Posted on Twitter this afternoon:

"I'm getting off Twitter. Nothing personal. See you later. Best wishes. Adam"
https://twitter.com/AdamBuxton/status/1123227975816810496?s=09

Might just be a way of removing distractions to focus on his book, but it's a bit disquieting all the same. Given it's Buckles, I'm half expecting a detailed breakdown of his reasons in the next podcast intro.

Hope all is well, anyway - Adam has given me more hours of audio fun than I can count.

Twed

I hope somebody in his life is telling him to abandon that fucking app he got developed.

Chollis

Quote from: HAVANAGILA on April 30, 2019, 03:57:29 PM
Posted on Twitter this afternoon:

"I'm getting off Twitter. Nothing personal. See you later. Best wishes. Adam"
https://twitter.com/AdamBuxton/status/1123227975816810496?s=09

Take a leaf Graham

DrGreggles

Quote from: Chollis on April 30, 2019, 04:50:44 PM
Take a leaf Graham

I hope everyone sends him that.
And I mean everyone!

Crabwalk

I really enjoyed Adam's rapport with Ruby Wax, and I thought she was a very interesting and funny guest. Her sharpness kept him on his toes and it was nice to hear him in a less cosy context than usual.

I don't blame Buckles for keeping schtum about Louis Theroux being one of his best and oldest friends...

Sin Agog

Ruby Wax's weird ability to anticipate every one of Buxton's questions when he was only a syllable in was almost like a real-life superpower.